Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins To Unveil Drawings Of New Stadium :CSN Mid Atlantic

DButz65

I want the major structural beams to be pointing to the sky with the tips of the beams to be shaped like arrows...alternating Burgundy and Gold in color (arching over the open dome?). You see it from above and no doubt it is our stadium. Not sure how to incorporate steel feathers yet.

And of course cowboy scalps hanging everywhere! ;)

Oh yea...All sections named after NA Indian Tribes. From all 50 states

I've always said, I want the stadium to feel like Washington DC. That's really my only wish. Current stadium is a big candy land tent. Old stadium was a dump. I'd like a stadium that any casual observer could see a pictur of and know that it's part of the national mall

This is what I've said all along and why I thought that the outside should look and feel like historic DC architecture.

It probably isn't practical to use the same stone that the monument or Capitol building use but the dome on the Capitol is just iron and painted to look like the actual stone used in the building.

I'd love to see some stylistic flairs from that taken and incorporated into the stadium.

Maybe even have some columns similar to the White House and Lincoln Memorial to really give it that DC feel. It should look and feel distinctively DC and I think incorporating the famous and historic architecture keys of DC would go a long way toward that.

800px-US_Capitol_dome_Jan_2006.jpg

The romanticism of the weather is the most overrated aspect of football, IMO. I've never really enjoyed football played in slop, or a driving rainstorm, or sub-freezing temps. I'll take 50-80 and comfortable every time, so I would support a retractable roof. I wanna see some of the world's finest athletes play at their best, not fumbling and stumbling battling the elements.

I agree with this so much. Sure a nice cool autumn day does make a great football day but freezing my tookus off or sitting in the rain or having a brutal wind slap me in the face for 3 hours isn't an enjoyable experience, just because "football is meant to be played in the elements"

I agree with this so much. Sure a nice cool autumn day does make a great football day but freezing my tookus off or sitting in the rain or having a brutal wind slap me in the face for 3 hours isn't an enjoyable experience, just because "football is meant to be played in the elements"

That very thing describes the last time I went to a game at FedEx. It was a Dec game in the early 2000s against Dallas and when the sun went down and the wind kicked up, I sat there wondering "what am I doing out here?" Had to be a wind chill in the teens or something. Suffice it to say, that was the last time I went to a game. lol

Funny. But Snyder has made the owners more money than any other owner. Stadium naming rights, In stadium stores, Admission fees to training camp, reused food and beer, Liquor ads in the stadium to circumvent television advertising rules, suing season ticket holders for not paying and buying the local sports radio station among others. The guy is a jerk but he has invented ingenious ways to make money. Gotta give him that I guess.

Nothing says fun like toll roads or route 7 traffic.  Loudoun would be an awful location. 

Not for everyone. I live in Winchester. It would be great for me :)

There will be no roof, say it with me. In no story has it ever lead anyone to believe there would be a roof, every story always says, open air, grass stadium. The owner and President love the throwback, not modernizing for the fans who cant hack the elements. :) - ok I'm done. and I would love a NA museum inside like jerry world has of art. 

This is what I've said all along and why I thought that the outside should look and feel like historic DC architecture.

It probably isn't practical to use the same stone that the monument or Capitol building use but the dome on the Capitol is just iron and painted to look like the actual stone used in the building.

I'd love to see some stylistic flairs from that taken and incorporated into the stadium.

Maybe even have some columns similar to the White House and Lincoln Memorial to really give it that DC feel. It should look and feel distinctively DC and I think incorporating the famous and historic architecture keys of DC would go a long way toward that.

Put a small scale version of the Capitol Dome at one end of the stadium and a small Washington Monument at the other!

Why is it so important to put it in DC? FedEx is actually closer to DC than many other stadiums are to their city.

Most NFL stadiums are not outside the city. Only some of the large cities like New York , Miami and we know why Dallas built their stadium so far out. But the majority of stadiums are downtown. Atlanta, Carolina, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Houston, are some examples.

But the Redskins are historic like the Steelers whose stadium was built downtown too. The new Stadium needs to be back in D.C where the national Mall can be seen. Its no coincidence that we haven't won a super bowl since the team moved.

It's not a dump, it just doesn't have a lot of character and it's pretty uninspiring.

Plus dumb things like the obstructed view seats in the 200 level just destroy any goodwill the place could have in addition to all the losing that's gone on there.

Overall though, I don't think it's a dump and I've enjoyed the experience just about every time I've been there.

FedEx Field is NOT a dump. You clearly have never attended a game at FedEx Field. This myth needs to stop.

The problem with Fedex is that it has no character... it's generic... it was designed like the Meadowlands/Giants stadium; they're almost the same stadium.... a dump?, no... characterless?, yes... the Redskins deserve a stadium that is the best in the league, with a focused architectural design that embraces the history of the franchise... not just a big bowl with huge screens that holds 100,000 people... it should be constructed in DC and be a blueprint for stadiums that are built after it ( ala Camden yards)

I've been to Fed Ex field dozens of times and it is a dump in comparison to the rest of our division. I don't even feel it's necessary to list why it's not good. It's been talked about enough and it's primarily all true.

I laugh at people that say this ... you want a dump? RFK was a dump! But it was our dump! The VET was a dump, 3 Rivers stadium was a dump... just because you cant get a blowjob while watching the game, oh crap wait, people did this year.. doesnt make it a dump

Technology changed drastically from when fed ex was built and Arizona's stadium. PSLs like was mentioned earlier add to the expense. for what fedex is and the upgrades that have been made, I don't understand why people dog on it like its a "dump" it's not. The old metrodome was a dump and if you want to go to a stadium without personality, go to the Edward jones dome in st louis

We need this back. Not RFK stadium. But the atmosphere of RFK. This article is Redskins players and opponents talking about playing a game in that dump of a stadium. And it was a dump. But it was our dump. I went to just about every Redskins game there from 1978 on. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/history/rfk/articles/rfkmem.htm

JOE GIBBS

In today's stadiums, everything is so sanitary. They're so big and the fans are so far away. RFK is so different from that, so special. I know other coaches used to tell their players that getting to play in RFK was going to be one of their great experiences in sports. They were going to be part of something special. They were going to have something they could remember a long time.

I could feel that crowd. I could tell whether or not they were ready. At least, I felt I could. It's a great feeling knowing that, being able to hear that noise before the opening kickoff. I felt it was going to be hard to beat us there on a day like that.

NORV TURNER

When you've been in a lot of stadiums, sometimes it's the architecture that hits you, but when I came into RFK Stadium for the first time [while with the Rams], it was the Redskins and the great history and tradition of the organization and the crowd. The crowd was so into the game and psyched about it. It was obviously a very good football team and a very loud crowd.

We came in here with the Rams for a playoff game and that's as wild as you are going to get. Then we came in here on a Monday night game that was extremely loud. But when we came in here with the Cowboys in 1991, the Redskins were undefeated and the Cowboys were a good football team. That first quarter was as intense and as loud as I can remember. The combination of the Redskins being a fine team and their defense was playing at a very high level. I don't think we got a first down in the first quarter. The crowd noise and whole setting was very impressive.

SONNY JURGENSEN

RFK was special because the fans are so close, right up against you, and they're pulling for you. I always thought the fans were fair. They cheered when they should have cheered and they booed you when they should have booed, always with a good reason. When we didn't play well, they should have booed us. That only motivates you to do better.

CALVIN HILL Cowboys RB

I would compare RFK to the place my son Grant played college basketball -- Cameron Indoor Stadium at Duke. It was such an advantage to be the home team when you played at RFK, and that was even before George Allen got there [in '71]. If they were playing well and it was a competitive game, you couldn't hear yourself think. It was absolutely the loudest place I ever played in.

When we played here with the Cowboys, I swear George used to put the sound system speakers right behind our bench. Then in that NFC title game [in '72], they introduced us, and they kept us out on the field a lot longer than they should have. We were pretty pumped up, but when they started introducing the Redskins, the crescendo got so loud for the Redskins, you couldn't even talk. And when they made a big play, the stands moved when people jumped up and down. It was like you were walking through the shadow of death.

DARRELL GREEN

I remember [defensive coordinator] Richie Petitbon saying, "We're going to match up and you're going to be on Drew Pearson and Vernon Dean will be on Tony Hill." I grew up in Texas, so I remember thinking, "Man, Drew Pearson," so I was excited and star struck. But I remember Petitbon telling me, "Keep your cool, be relaxed." I remember thinking, "What do you mean, I've been starting for two [preseason] games." He said, "No, you haven't started a regular season game. This is RFK. This is the Dallas Cowboys. Believe me, you haven't seen it."

But you can see it all day long on video, but when you get in there and see the fans moving and shaking the stands, it was unbelievable. It was RFK and `Hail to the Redskins.' I just remember how I thought it would be one thing and how it really was something you couldn't prepare for. That is printed indelibly on my memory. The coach knew and I didn't.

As a player, I never had complaints about the field or the stadium being old or the showers, because it's like your home, like your daddy's old rocking chair. It's old to you, but to me, it's home.

JOE THEISMANN

I remember my own last game at RFK, the last game I ever played in the NFL. I don't remember much about L.T. [Lawrence Taylor] hitting me [and breaking my leg]. I do remember being carried out on a stretcher and hearing the ovation from the crowd. It was so warm and so sincere, and I really didn't deserve it. I think they were applauding and thanking me, and I hadn't really done anything in that particular game in a football sense to warrant that, but in a lot of ways, it kind of changed my life.

I'll always remember the '83 championship game against Dallas, when the ground shook. There will never be another place like RFK. From a beauty standpoint, an aesthetic standpoint, from a financial standpoint, I'm sure the new place will be wonderful, but it will never replace RFK.

PAUL TAGLIABUE

After more than 20 years as a fan in my RFK seats (Section 222, Row 10, Seats 1-2), I spent my first night as NFL Commissioner in that same end zone location.

The most vivid and joyful memories are of the Redskins' fans, an extremely diverse and fanatic group, who sat near me in Section 222. Washington's political life was represented on my left where former U.S. Senator Lowell Weicker (R-Conn.) and his family held season tickets. To our right was an Oscar Madison-type who seemed to bring the biggest bag of peanuts to every game. As the empty shells piled high around him, he always struggled to rise with everyone else when John Riggins pounded over the opposition and the diesel horn eclipsed the roar of the RFK faithful.

ROGER STAUBACH

You had a special feeling when you walked into RFK Stadium. Not because it was beautiful, or anything like that. But because it had history and tradition.

BILL PARCELLS

When I retire from coaching, my most vivid memories will be of the Giants-Redskins games at RFK Stadium, against Joe Gibbs's teams because of the atmosphere, the tremendous fan loyalty, the hostility, the quality of the playing conditions and the quality of the two teams.

I guess my favorite game there was a Monday night opener in 1989, which we won on a field goal with two seconds remaining.

It was getting near midnight, a thick fog was rolling in over the stadium. That place was like a cemetery. It is one of my fondest coaching moments.

I was talking to Darrell Green a few weeks ago and he was saying how he is just trying to enjoy every Sunday because it is such a precious time. I know exactly how he feels.

Archived