Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I admit, I was wrong about Joe Barry

kgor93

Not surprised. I predicted Rodgers to torch us because I lost hope in Joe Barry weeks ago. It's nice he can look great in the first quarter, but what about the rest of the game? Our defense hasn't improved. It's regressed. Most of his games wasn't against any top tier pro offenses. Except Jets, Pats and Panthers and we all know what happened in those games. No different today.

It has a lot of to do with Joe Barry not making any serious adjustments in time and today is further proof.He 

He did not "torch" us.   In fact he missed so many open guys...he could of torched us but he couldn't connect.  They beat us on the ground.  They ran all over us.

They ran the ball relentlessly down our depleted rag tag off the street, off the couch secondary's throat.   And our D line was unable to exert any pressure after the first quarter.  

Joe Barry has done a lot with very little.   To blame him is ridiculous.   Do you realize how many starting D players are on IR?  We even have a guy who was a receiver converted into a DB. 

But our starters which is the D line exerted NO pressure up front except they 1st quarter.  Kerrigan did not show up.  They had no problem containing our D line.   After the excitement and hype settled we were ineffective.  It happens with a better team.  We never beat a team with a winning record in our little run to the playoffs. 

We are getting better and I am anticipating good things for this team if we stick with SM, sign Cousins, and continue to add quality players.  

Yup.   He went back to his default soft defense.  Trying to the score instead of trying to stop the drive.   Went completely away from what was working.   Rodgers has been playing poorly under pressure and they needed to just be relentless all day.   The D is definitely having talent issues, but Barry got outcoached today.  Or he outcoached himself.

I would rather die by the sword than the shield. Rogers could have killed us either way, but I did see way too many four man rushes. To be fair, a number of blitzes were burnt also. I think the Packers took over by going into the two minute hurry up mode. Our defense just couldn't keep up and eventually just fell apart.

In the end though, I think it's just a matter of the better team winning. Not Barry's fault or Cousins or Gruden's. We're just not there yet.

At the end of the day, the defensive coordinator can't make guys cover the receivers. WRs got open and Rodgers found them, plain and simple.

None of us are in the box or have the benefit of film to review the gameplan. Am I sticking up for Barry? Not particularly. Would've liked to have seen more blitzes. But like someone else mentioned our defense was patchwork all year. I'm not convinced switching coordinators would magically improve the defense.

Oh and yes the run defense was bad all year. Not sure what to do about that. Find guys who can get off the block better.

I'm not pissed at Barry nor am I pleased. But today there was absolutely no pressure on Rodgers all day. We came out fired up in the 1st qtr, then laid back waiting for him to make mistakes, but he didn't; instead they adjusted and we didn't so that's on Barry.

But what REALLY sticks out in my head is this; since we went to a 3-4, this team has never had a good defense, only a scrappy defense at times. LBers built for run support not pass protection, lack of pressure up front hurt this team. We've all seen and heard of other coaches turning a defense around in 1 year, but it is never the Redskins defense.

IMO, when 90% of the league is using a 3-4 defense it becomes less of a problem, being teams practice against it week after week; it boils down to having the right players and the right defensive calls. We lack speed on defense and that needs to be addressed. Injuries are one thing but at times the defense looks as if they're running in wet clothing wearing snow skis. If the 3/4 is to be continued, then speed is the target. WRs are bigger, stronger, faster, and can out-run most LBers in the league.

Barry gets another year, but if he doesn't get it going, then its time to find someone who will get it going, even though he is a big upgrade from Haslett, that's not saying much.

I'm not pissed at Barry nor am I pleased. But today there was absolutely no pressure on Rodgers all day. We came out fired up in the 1st qtr, then laid back waiting for him to make mistakes, but he didn't; instead they adjusted and we didn't so that's on Barry.

But what REALLY sticks out in my head is this; since we went to a 3-4, this team has never had a good defense, only a scrappy defense at times. LBers built for run support not pass protection, lack of pressure up front hurt this team. We've all seen and heard of other coaches turning a defense around in 1 year, but it is never the Redskins defense.

IMO, when 90% of the league is using a 3-4 defense it becomes less of a problem, being teams practice against it week after week; it boils down to having the right players and the right defensive calls. We lack speed on defense and that needs to be addressed. Injuries are one thing but at times the defense looks as if they're running in wet clothing wearing snow skis. If the 3/4 is to be continued, then speed is the target. WRs are bigger, stronger, faster, and can out-run most LBers in the league.

Barry gets another year, but if he doesn't get it going, then its time to find someone who will get it going, even though he is a big upgrade from Haslett, that's not saying much.

Rodgers had pressure today early on, but he started countering that with the hurry up offence. When it comes to this defense poor performance with the 3-4 then you are correct.

I don't remember our defense sucking this much and it use to be harder to throw down field compared to the 3-4 defenses we run now.

Why start Preston Smith tonight? I know he got the safety early but I thought he hurt us by overrunning plays as the game went on.

I really liked how we were using him as a situational pass rusher the last several games. Murphy is good player as well and solid against the run. I don't know why we messed with a good thing, especially in a playoff game.

We were bad on Defense all year. 

Will personnel help us get better?  Don't know.

The offense's Time of Possession hid it...

The Offense ability to put up point hid it...

You come to the playoffs you don't prepare your sub packages.

You give a guy who can make all the throws time to pick you apart.

I regret the first quarter Safety, it gave us a false sense of comfort that we can get to Aaron Rodgers. 

They adjusted we couldn't. 

Not the first time. 

Barry did a decent job this year. He was handcuffed by injuries to key positions. It's not the replacements were bad but the cohesion of the defensive backfield has been problematic most of the year. Missed assignments & confusion was evident. Hell, there was a CB on the field today who was just signed on Tuesday! And he wasn't playing special teams. He lined up at CB. I'll bet there isn't a playoff team this year who who can say that.  

The ILBs who many thought were decent at the start of the year were benched (or injured) and played very little the past several weeks. Compton & Foster got exposed vs. the run today. As well as DHall - he had a horrendous game today. Safety - both positions - need an upgrade. 

Depth on the DL proved to be a problem today as well. It needs to be addressed during the offseason. 

Barry did a good job & deserves to be back next year. 

Its amazing how far away our D is when you watch the other Ds in this years playoffs. Those teams have guys with speed, size, play recognition, everything. Our D looks barely High School level in comparison.

I trust McC though. He built a couple damn good Ds in San Fran and Seattle. Its going to take time though.

I'd like to see what Barry can do without having to resort to off the street FAs.

out-schemed, out-schemed. Mike McCarthy ****ed him over. But yes, the defense lacks top tier talent. I like our players, but all positions could use an upgrade, honestly. 

Easy to get out schemed when you have FOUR off the street FAs starting for you.

What's he supposed to do? There is no magic trick to turn Will Blackmon into Darrell Green.

What's he supposed to do? There is no magic trick to turn Will Blackmon into Darrell Green.

Agreed. This is why I can't get upset really with Berry, because the guy has been making chicken salad out of chicken ****.... The player could be playing a lot worst off the street.

From my fan-eyes perspective it looked like way too often we would only rush four.  Going into the game all I could think about was the game coming down to how comfortable Rodgers was in the pocket.  Early on he was rushed, hurried, hit, sacked etc etc....and it looked good.  Then all of the sudden adjustments were made and the pass rush disappeared for the rest of the game.

It's hard to truly say how much of it was scheme or the fact that our defense was severely depleted, but I can remember looking at the TV quite a few times wondering why our linebackers seemed to be lined up 3 yards off the line of scrimmage on 3rd and short. 

There just seemed to be a very "react to what they do" strategic look out there by the defense opposed to a plan to go attack.

No I agree, I'm not suggesting the Redskins fire Barry. He did the best with what he had. Thats why i cited we lack top tier talent. But the Packers offense was putrid the first 4 drives. And then something changed. They went hurry up, quick screens, and they never looked back. I don't think Barry adjusted. 

Or perhaps he did, and our defense just lost every single matchup. I'm leaning towards the former. 

As much as I want to believe that Junior Gallette coming back is going to really make a big difference in our pass rush, I don't see it. IIRC, he hasn't played a single down with us, preseason or regular season. Maybe he really is as good as people made him out to be, but after hearing that about so many players, I'm not holding my breath.

Archived