Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I admit, I was wrong about Joe Barry

kgor93

Any thoughts after yesterdays game? The D did give up 221 yards rushing and 447 yards total. The D couldn't get off the field. I'm wondering, now that there are several weeks of game film, if opposing Offenses haven't figured out Berry's D. Because lets face it, that stat line probably looks very similar to the stat lines from the 0-16 season in Detroit.

We're pretty much on our 2nd team defense. You can't evaluate the defense when half the starters are out.

Get Gillette and Duke back next year. Get Cully and Hall healthy and give Scot another year to work on the LBers and secondary, and I can't wait to see what this defense would do.

I love the optimism but this is just another excuse.  Plus, do you really think Hall will be back next year?

After yesterday, Breeland pretty much closed the door on Halls time with the Skins. Could be wrong, but without his individual effort its a 40 point loss.

Pretty much. I actually really like our starting corners going forward - Jarrett, Breeland and Culliver - and I see potential in backups Dunbar and Everett as well. Blackmon has surprised me as well, but I don't see him as part of the longer term plans here.

I love the optimism but this is just another excuse.  Plus, do you really think Hall will be back next year?

How is it an excuse?  It was obvious what Scot's plan was for the defense.  Build the line first and supplement the LBers and secondary.  He's doing it on both sides of the ball. I remember the last 10 years, we as fans kept telling Vinny et al, to build from the inside out, while they built from the outside in. 1st pick Scherff.  2nd pick Preston Smith. Building from the inside out.

As far as Hall goes, his achilles is fine. I think he could still be an effective slot corner.  I'd bring him back on a 1 year deal to compete and if he doesn't make it in camp, then he doesn't make it.  He's what, 31, 32? Still fairly young. But he'd have to earn it. If not, go with the younger/hungrier player. I think Culliver and Breeland will be the starters next year.  

While the defense is still not where we want it to be, I think Barry has a fews things that I like over Haslett:

1) The defense is more agressive.

2) That is causing more turnovers now.

3) They attack, instead of read and react.

4) The defensive staff shows a genuine enthusiasm.

5) Despite a ton of injuries, Barry has never complained, which Haslett did often. 

I liked the fact that Breeland had a huge game. I did not like the fact that we could not pressure the QB yesterday.

Yeah, Fitzpatrick got the ball out very quickly - it was (unfortunately) reminiscent of the Giants game. Seems fairly apparent that our D is struggling against teams that can run wide and get the ball out quick.

• 2 months later...

We do not have good personnel, but what a woeful game plan tonight by Barry. Guy just got schooled

Yeah, anyone want to say that Wade Philips wouldn't have been a better choice?

Gruden has finally done enough to distance himself from relying on Barry being the best choice but I have a hard time believing this is what you get when this team has struggled all year to protect Rodgers, not drop balls or get any separation or run game.

Yet they did all those things tonight.  There is not one area of offense that they did not execute at a high level.  Their RBs spun off tackles, their blockers did their jobs, they schemed well, Rodgers made a good adjustment to spring Lacey WIDE OPEN on that run (where are our wide open misdirection runs?)

Barry has been hanging on all year and there have been turnovers but he was always a risky hire and tonight he looks like crap.  Somehow in the playoffs OTHER teams can overcome injuries and scheme around them, to an extent.

If not for the fact Green Bay took control of the game, is there any reason the wouldn't have scored 40 easily?

I'm not thinking our offense is too hot either.

Meanwhile GB is held together by chicken wire and wadded up newspaper and looked like the 91 Skins out there.

Defense has heavily relied on forcing turnovers all year and they just never came today unfortunately. No doubting he got it wrong in this one though.

For the personnel at his disposal I still give him a solid "B" for the year. Doesn't deserve a load of criticism heaped on him.

I didn't like Joe's plan today.. It's like the early sack/safety sealed it and they just wouldn't try anything but rushing 4, even after GB scored 5 straight possessions and Rogers had all day to carve us up.. At some point you have to try something different, personnel problems or no...

Archived