Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I admit, I was wrong about Joe Barry

kgor93

It's not always just what we run, its running the same damn thing over and over, and thus being predictable.

No blitz not even when backed up, nor in crunch time; corners largely off, is "prevent" to some of us.

If we rarely blitz, at least pretend like we might, and see if you can get them to keep an extra back in, audible into a trap, or burn a timeout.

What is actual prevent anyways, a defense for hail mary?

It's not always just what we run, its running the same damn thing over and over, and thus being predictable.

No blitz not even when backed up, nor in crunch time; corners largely off, is "prevent" to some of us.

If we rarely blitz, at least pretend like we might, and see if you can get them to keep an extra back in, audible into a trap, or burn a timeout.

What is actual prevent anyways, a defense for hail mary?

Check out the Bullock post (in the Twitter thread and BRBN) - we switched between 3 different D's, Riley faked a blitz (and got beat because of it). I understand your frustration, but sometimes you get out executed too. :)

Edit: on the last drive anyway, doesn't mean we don't have tendencies that aren't all that good.

No, you were not wrong about him.

Unless you bought into the I apply pressure thing.

Tied for tenth in sacks, sixth in forced fumbles.

Pressure doesn't have to equate to blitzing. I get it, we just lost a game partly because of soft coverage at the end, but we shouldn't let everything else get thrown out the window.

Outside of the Giants game, we've gotten considerable pressure on every QB we've faced. And we're not the only ones having difficulty getting to Eli.      

<EDIT>

Outside of the Giants game, we've gotten considerable pressure on every QB we've faced. And we're not the only ones having difficulty getting to Eli.      

I was just about to say that last sentence. The giants are 2nd in the NFL in sacks allowed with 4 sacks in 5 games.

The number one team in sacks allowed; Our next opponents, the Jets (3 sacks in 4 games).

<EDIT> I got my stats wrong. The Jets have only allowed 2 sacks in 4 games!

Can you do me a favor and ask Coach Barry why he had his corners 10 yards off on 4th and 7?

Thanks.

I saw him play 10 yards off on 3rd and 3. If it didn't work the first three times, by golly it's got to work sometime once. Keep playing your lucky lottery number.

True, too early (too small a sample size) to get real high on Barry, but considering injuries, this defense's recent past and Barry's previous coordinator stint... it's a pleasant surprise to be fielding a competent D.

I'm not sure we're actually as good as our rankings, but it's interesting that outside of Eli, we've generally made the qbs we've played look worse than they are. Considering our injuries (again), and lack of talent at certain spots, I do have to give some degree of kudos to Barry and his assistants. Like the way he comes across too. Honestly though, it's quite possible that Scot is the biggest reason for our turn around on D. Bottom line regarding the OP - he's certainly not the dumpster fire many predicted.

Philly specifically needs to be called out for sucking on the OL. Why did they let go of the 2 time pro bowler Mathis? Heckle Eagles fans for this as needed. He settled for the same money elsewhere. Those 2 bowls were the last 2 years. 

The pressure when rushing 4 has been impressive. Almost unprecedented in these parts.  But you know the drill, its because our guys are good, not their guys bad. 

Any thoughts after yesterdays game? The D did give up 221 yards rushing and 447 yards total. The D couldn't get off the field. I'm wondering, now that there are several weeks of game film, if opposing Offenses haven't figured out Berry's D. Because lets face it, that stat line probably looks very similar to the stat lines from the 0-16 season in Detroit.

I still don't have a huge issue with the D, though I'm beginning to get a little nervous regarding the run defense. It was looking very good early in the season but the past few weeks it's begun to give me pause.

However, I wonder how much the injuries in the secondary may be impacting this more than we realize.

They've looked great early on, but as the game wears on...and especially as we start making mistakes in various phases of the game...it just seems like they don't have the talent to overcome adversity and things then spiral out of control.

Any thoughts after yesterdays game? The D did give up 221 yards rushing and 447 yards total. The D couldn't get off the field. I'm wondering, now that there are several weeks of game film, if opposing Offenses haven't figured out Berry's D. Because lets face it, that stat line probably looks very similar to the stat lines from the 0-16 season in Detroit.

just looking at singular parts, Murphy's strenghth was stopping run, I wonder if he's not even doing that. God knows he's not getting to QB. 

Our safety's seem to come and play, especially in run game. some good hits yesterday. 

giving up that many rush yards is 100% unacceptable, I mean, by NFL standards, those MONSTER games. Not good games, but games that are going to be not only season highs, but career highs for Ivory and Freeman for a long time I bet. 

i still have faith in the defense. the last 2 games, the run defense for whatever reason has taken a hit.  but we've gotten better with takeaways.  our linebackers have played poorly though.  kerrigan and murphy need to do more work at the line of scrimmage.  robinson and riley just seem to be out there.

Archived