Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Redskins trade for Jimmy Graham?

Renegade7

Trade for Jimmy Graham???  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Redskins trade for Jimmy Graham???

• Yes
    • No

I like the idea of looking for a big physical TE, but with the amount of money/draft picks it would take to make him happy, its not worth it, only because it would be his 3rd team in as many years and might not turn out so good.

But, I'd love to see the scouting dept or coaches start hanging around some NBA camps and looking for a big solid player who can be converted; there are plenty of them. Its the one position the Redskins have never had, a big TE the likes of a Gronk or Graham.

While I agree with the beginning of your post whole-heartedly, really this quote isn't technically accurate.

If we TRADED Roberts, rather than releasing him, we would save cap space. Whatever team traded for him would take on the remainder of his salary. It could always be worked out that we pay his salary instead, but short of some arrangement the new team takes it on so we save that amount. All a moot point, because no one is going to trade for him anyway.
Meanwhile, either way, yes, we'd have 2 mil in dead cap next year, but if we keep him he'll count for 5, so we'd save 3 mil in cap by getting rid of him, either now or after the season.

Seattle has paid Graham 5.1 mil in bonuses this year, so if they dealt him that would be dead cap. But that counts on their cap whether they keep him or deal him, so it's not like it would be a hit to them, they would save the remainder of his salary for the season.
New Orleans didn't really eat any guaranteed salary, but they did have dead cap because of his signing bonus. He only had 1 mil guaranteed salary total.

Maybe some of that is just semantics. Just trying to offer clarity.

Ok, maybe I said it too simply. But here is the way I understand it:

1. In a trade I guess we could work something out with the Seahawks, but we will either pay Graham or we pay Roberts. Since Grahams salary plus roster bonus is more the Roberts will "not save a penny for his year".

2. Yes, we would save $3M in cap space next year either releasing or trading Roberts but the more important number to me is the $2M in dead cap we have due to bonus.

3. I used the word guaranteed salary - yes technically it was due to his signing bonus but in the end after his year the Seahawks do not owe Graham anything because the guaranteed part of his salary they inherited was paid by NO in the way of a signing bonus and the entire $5M roster bonus Seattle paid was put towards this years salary cap. They have no dead cap if they release him after this year.

We are both saying basically the same thing, I just simplified it as many do not know or care about the details.

More importantly to this entire conversation, trading for him would be a mistake!!!  On that we clearly are in 100% agreement  :-)

Graham seems to be on the decline for some reason anyway and he disappeared down the stretch last year when NO needed him. That's one reason NO was comfortable dealing him. He might be as talented as Gronk but he doesn't seem to have that drive or passion that Gronk does. He seems kinda soft and he can get pushed around and he is ok with it

Plus, it's just not a good idea to trade firsts away for established players during a rebuild except in rare circumstances

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. Have I said it enough?:)

When will our fans learn? When will they stop chasing the shiny toy? When will they learn that you build through the draft by picking guys that fit your team and your team philosophy?

Do you not see the difference Scot has made in just 9 short months with regards to the types of players he wants? Do you not see that he finds players not just based on talent, but a whole host of factors that go into winning games?

QB can't hit the broad side of a barn, let alone get out of his own way. Benched. Replaced with a more compitent guy who can actually get a first down or two.

Kicker can't kick the ball out of the endzone despite being accurate. Hurting the team. Gone. Replaced with a kicker just as accurate and can kick in the endzone.

High pick CB shows no progress, no interest in getting better and is consistently burned. Replaced by a younger, hungrier player.

And the latest...WR continues to drop pass after pass after pass. Benched for someone who can actually hang on to it.

WHEN IN THE HELL has that happened to this team in the last 23 years? I'm loving it. Accountablity no matter who you are, what you are paid and where you were picked. The best 22 are on the field and the best 53 are on the roster.

So, to sum it up. I do not want to waste draft picks to pick up a 29 year old prima donna TE who costs a lot of money. NO.

BTW- not an angry post. More of a soapbox.

How have you not noticed the gross lack of talent on this team, thanks to blowing 3 firsts and a high second round pick and then trading out of the highest picks we had, to move back?

Know why it takes a few years to build a team? Because nothing is more valuable than high round draft picks.

Know how you set a build back? By trading those picks for overhyped Vets, who come from a system they excel in.

Would it be better to have Graham or the best C, S or ILB in the draft on this team?

We have no competent proven TE on the roster and I doubt our offense with out Reed, yes, but as far as receivers, Garcon and Djax might be the best duo in the league and Ross and Jamison look legit. We have slot guys, which is all Graham is.

If there was a page for threads that steal your intelligence, this would be between "use RG3 as a gadget player" and "gruden is the worst coach in the NFL".

It's a shame you ruled out drunken rage, for an excuse.

Sorry to pile on but I would be against this type of move. The move imo we should be doing is developing the offense without taking shortcuts. I want to see Ross involved more the guys a burner and seeing him opposite Jackson with garçon in the slot in three receiver sets would have a team like the Falcons on its heels

We've had terrible luck drafting TEs lately, and this is a much more legit reward type scenario.

Our current GM hasn't drafted any tight ends yet.  Judging by how much of an impact this years draft class has had, addressing this through the draft seems to be the smart way to go.  We don't need a superstar TE to run our offense effectively

Archived