Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Redskins trade for Jimmy Graham?

Renegade7

Trade for Jimmy Graham???  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Redskins trade for Jimmy Graham???

• Yes
    • No

This is just silly. He's a talented TE that no longer has Brees throwing him the ball. He's not worth a 1st. The only TE worth a 1st is Gronk and it's not even close.

To be fair Brees is off to his worst start with the Saints, im not saying its purely missing Graham but its definitely part of it. I wouldn't trade for him.

We need a TE way more then we need a C, S, or ILB, and you know that. We all know that. 

Ya'll need to stop trying to "learn me" and think about what I've been saying in this thead, agree or not.  I'm smiling right now watching some ya'll go out of your way to deligitmize this guy as a player to help make your point out of fear of going back to the Vinny days. 

That's fine though, but with a place called Extremeskins, if I can't be extreme here, where can I?

The other two MIGHT be debatable, but you really think we need a TE more than we need a S?

The other two MIGHT be debatable, but you really think we need a TE more than we need a S?

we just watched 2 long TDs happen, specifically because our SS was not in position, while we drove 90 yards for a game winning score, without a TE.

Saying we need a 1rst round TE, more than a 1rst round Safety, after that Eagles game, is absurd.

Corey is playing well and both ILBs are well suited to this defense.

You make good points.

So, again, a completely worthless hypothetical to use in a discussion.

which is why I originally said "in his prime", so nobody would go running off with these ridiculous hypotheticals, yet here we are.

Looking at our current experience and depth about TE vs S, yes, I feel TE is much more of a need right now. 

This is on the understanding that Reed should not be in the NFL anymore because of multiple concussions and Paul is coming off an achillies injury (which even if he's back next year, it will take another to get back to form and comfortability, given he doesn't reaggrevate it). 

I'm not saying safety isn't a need, I'm saying I realitsiticly trust our depth at safety way more then what's going at TE right now.  Its actually kind of scary the possibility we're going to be starting a TE with only 5 NFL starts in his entire career this sunday.

I feel like another thing that's being missed here is we don't have a single WR on the roster that's over 6'0 right now.  Jimmy Graham is 6'7 and would instally be the tallest reciever (WR or TE) on the team, and was a goal line monster in New Orleans (however said they didn't want to throw to him before he left, I'm lost, he had 10 TDs the year before he was traded to Seattle).

Looking at our current experience and depth about TE vs S, yes, I feel TE is much more of a need right now. 

Edit....

With all due respect I think you are really missing a lot of peoples main point here. Graham would certainly be an upgrade, at least in terms of a pass catching TE. It's a known fact he can't block but that is not why we don't want to do this deal.

But, the cost would be entirely too high as you presented it. A 1st round pick for a guy that yes is an upgrade now but will only give us maybe a few years is just too high a price. If we could get him for a 5th or 6th rd? Maybe. But we are in a process. That process cannot include trading away our draft picks for anyone, sans maybe Aaron Rogers. He is the only player in the league right now that can single handedly change a team from worst to legitimate.

Considering JG just fills an immediate need that can filled more permanently in the draft next year is just not a smart football move if it costs a high rd draft pick to do it. 

With all due respect I think you are really missing a lot of peoples main point here. Graham would certainly be an upgrade, at least in terms of a pass catching TE. It's a known fact he can't block but that is not why we don't want to do this deal.

But, the cost would be entirely too high as you presented it. A 1st round pick for a guy that yes is an upgrade now but will only give us maybe a few years is just too high a price. If we could get him for a 5th or 6th rd? Maybe. But we are in a process. That process cannot include trading away our draft picks for anyone, sans maybe Aaron Rogers. He is the only player in the league right now that can single handedly change a team from worst to legitimate.

Considering JG just fills an immediate need that can filled more permanently in the draft next year is just not a smart football move if it costs a high rd draft pick to do it. 

I'm not missing anyone's point, what you're saying is the safe thing to do.  I've said repeatedly that I support this "rebuild" process, but for this guy I'll make an exception.

I'm not missing anyone's point, what you're saying is the safe thing to do.  I've said repeatedly that I support this "rebuild" process, but for this guy I'll make an exception.

It's not just that's it not "safe". He is not worth the exception. Just about no one is. It's just not good for the long term health of the team. It's knee jerk reaction and the kind of moves we made under Vinnie I am an idiot Cerrato.

I think a team needs an elite QB to get their money's worth from Graham. He's a very specialized played, by which I mean he blocks about as well as DJax only unlike DJax TEs here have to be at least mediocre blockers. We'd be entirely unable to run the ball with him on the field.

So no I don't think we should attempt to trade for Graham. Bad fit, big contract, and likely would require valuable assets to acquire him.

This is on the understanding that Reed should not be in the NFL anymore because of multiple concussions and Paul is coming off an achillies injury (which even if he's back next year, it will take another to get back to form and comfortability, given he doesn't reaggrevate it). 

I'm not saying safety isn't a need, I'm saying I realitsiticly trust our depth at safety way more then what's going at TE right now.  Its actually kind of scary the possibility we're going to be starting a TE with only 5 NFL starts in his entire career this sunday.

I feel like another thing that's being missed here is we don't have a single WR on the roster that's over 6'0 right now.  Jimmy Graham is 6'7 and would instally be the tallest reciever (WR or TE) on the team, and was a goal line monster in New Orleans (however said they didn't want to throw to him before he left, I'm lost, he had 10 TDs the year before he was traded to Seattle).

I just can't agree. I think if there's one position you can suck at and get by, it's TE. There are a bunch of teams that hardly utilize their TE at all, and since ours can't block to begin with and we're deep at WR, it's one of the only positions where we could "afford" to be totally barren this year. Our TE's are basically just jumbo WR's, and while it would be nice to have them in the RZ and we'll miss them terribly, we can spread it out with multiple WR's that aren't getting enough snaps or targets as it is and compensate. Safety is much more important and I'd say a stud safety has much more of an effect on a game than any stud TE, unless you're talking about Gronk maybe.

Not much to comprehend.  I'm just saying if we had a chance to snag Jason Witten early in his career for a first round pick I would do it.

No, you wouldn't.  And neither would almost any GM in the NFL.  Go back and look at the history of how many young players have been traded for a 1st round draft pick.  It doesn't happen very often.  The team that has a player that signs a rookie contract for 3 years has a good player that is cheap.  He's gonna be a free agent after his rookie contract.  What team in the NFL is going to give up a first round draft pick for a guy that is only under contract for one or maybe two years?

Read a article on line want to say CBS sports. The article was about Seattle not really enamored with Graham, especially on run blocking. The article mentioned, Graham did not or want to be involved with running plays , appears to come off as to good to get dirty and get physical on the line of scrimmage.

OK  if that is the case,obviously the defense will know, most likely with Graham on the line the chances the play will be a pass play. Not much of a element of surprise on the play. We need a couple of solid  TE"s we need patience for now

Skins just need to stay the coarse and build thru the draft, Hail

And from the other perspective, they knew this guy wasn't being asked to run-block as much in New Orleans becasue that wasn't his strength, but Seattle is forcing him to be heavily involved in run blocking anyway.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/08/the-bashing-of-jimmy-graham-continues/

And this is an article with quotes from the coaching staff acknowledging he's working on his blocking, but is willing to do it (also showing stats how Seattle has realized they have to stop using him how they wanted to and more so how he was most successful in New Orleans):

http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/14998/how-the-seahawks-are-using-jimmy-graham

But by all means, please do continue to "pile on" instead of letting the thread fall off the front page.

PS: Dad, I know you're reading this, love you, man.

Archived