Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

READ THE OP: Odd or Pointless habits...

Kosher Ham

I lock doors and check every door before I have an ounce of comfort. Cars, rooms, etc.

I live in a neighborhood where I could absolutely leave my doors wide open.

I justify it by saying I had a friend in DC that left his door unlocked and was robbed blind, and a family member that left his truck unlocked and kept expensive tools in the back that were stolen.

People wonder why...I think it should make sense. Even my wife teases me about checking all the locks.

Wipe my face with my hand and go from my nose down my beard.  Maybe that would be considered more of a tick.

I hate the TV volume to be on an odd number.  Has to be even, a la Mr. Monk.  And I hate when the gas pump ends on $2.03.  I will make it go to $2.05 or more of a round number.

I don't like to drive in the middle lane.  On a 3 or 4 lane highway, I need to be on the left of the right.  I feel claustraphobic somehow and if I do have to drive in the middle lanes, I'm always looking for an "out."

I'm a pretty neat person.  Things must be in order in my house.  Everything should have a place. I guess like the french fry story, I hate chaos.  Maybe that's more OCD.

I still LEAP up the first 4 stairs if i turn out the light downstairs... with the full knowledge that there is a ghastly grey hand reaching for my neck from behind.

the hair on the back of my neck stands up like a cat sprayed with a hose, and i couldn't go up the stairs slow and dignified if i had $1 million on the line.  

One of my favorite memes.......Horrifying Housegues/Shadowlurker:

55601890.jpg

At home, when I'm eating wings, I always pull out 7 paper towels total, but split out into two bunches (4 together and 3 together).  Not sure why, but I always do.  I also have to have my fries, sauce, etc. lined up a certain way or it drives me nuts.  

I also almost always have a drink in my hand, bottled water or soda.  Everywhere I go.  Only exception is when I go out to eat, but it's in the car, I just leave it there cause I'll be getting another drink when I get inside the restaurant.  

TV volume, I usually round to even numbers or quantities of 5, not real anal about that, but find myself doing it.  I never put any volume setting on 13, EVER, that would be my biggest quirk about the TV volume.  

I absolutely cannot stand someone standing behind me or to the left or right side of me if I am sitting down.  I don't go nuts or anything, but get slightly annoyed.  Usually, this only happens at home with the wife or Tazette.  When out, it doesn't seem to bother me as much, unless I'm sitting at a table and people are standing around me.  

At the UNCC Alumni tailgate this past Saturday, we were sitting at one of the tables, with random people.  Some guy came up and the woman sitting beside me stood up and they hugged and continued to stand while talking about old times, literally hovering over me, which annoyed me.

When grocery shopping, I will never buy the last item on a shelf/display.  For whatever the irrational reason, I feel as though something is wrong w/ it. 

I can never buy the first thing on the shelf. I have to go for the second. I feel like the first one has been handled too much or been exposed to air (haha) or if it's refrigerated that it's gone bad from too many people opening and closing the door. 

It's extremely hard for me to take the browns to the super bowl without the sound of a fan around me somewhere.

Also, I cannot sleep without a fan or some other background noise. 

probably an evolutionary thing. This total quiet thing when we sleep is a relatively new thing. 

I can never buy the first thing on the shelf. I have to go for the second. I feel like the first one has been handled too much or been exposed to air (haha) or if it's refrigerated that it's gone bad from too many people opening and closing the door. 

Working in grocery for 11 years before my current job, I'd never grab the first one on the shelf, but not because of the reasons you listed.  

My reason is because I've seen first hand a customer decide not to buy a refrigerated item, say sour cream.  The cashier then moves it to an empty register behind her or places in a cart of items that need to be put back on the shelf (mix of non-refrigerated and refrigerated items).  Items sit for hours before being put back.  Then idiot employees not thinking or don't give a **** place said item right back on the shelf in the front.

I've seen that happen countless times, when I did, of course, I removed it and placed it in damage/returns.  I remember one night, some part time bagger put back a half gallon of milk.  I walked up to it, felt it and it was warm, not even close to being slightly cold.  I yelled at the guy and took it off the shelf.  

I like to have something on top of me when I sleep. If I'm on my back, my wife has to put her leg over my thighs and arm over my chest. Even if I'm alone. If I'm the sofa sleeping, I have a pillow on my chest. If I'm sleeping on my stomach I put a pillow on my back.

It's pretty comfortable and relaxing

You'd love my cat. She fulfills that requirement perfectly.

But as she's nearly no longer a kitten, she's getting a bit heavy for it now.

Hail.

I will not eat mayo and sour cream or anything mayo or sour cream based when I'm out to eat, with the exception of ranch dressing from Buffalo Wild Wings and the blooming onion sauce dip at Outback (and ranch at the late great Quaker Steak and Lube) 

I fear getting food poisoning from it from being left out, yet knowing it's in both of those sauces, I will still eat it at those places.

At home, I know it's ok and fine.  But out, I have that fear with exception of those two places.

all drawers/cupboards have to be closed... all the way. my wife and kids will put away their laundry away and leave a drawer or two just slightly open. for some reason it bugs me enough that i go out of my way to make sure they're all closed. i don't stress all day over all the open drawers they're leaving around, but if i see it, rest assured that drawer will be fully closed.

my other big one is that i can't stand hearing people chew. a baby sitter when i was a kid chewed her food with her mouth wide freaking open like a cow. smacking lips while eating and people eating chips/popcorn/crushed ice kill me. i almost can't go to the movies anymore without getting sick to my stomach. i was working in a panera yesterday, and could hear someone eating potato chips from across the room and over the music in my ear buds.

my other big one is that i can't stand hearing people chew. a baby sitter

I misread this without the period and thought, "well gee I can see why, but has this been a regular experience in your life?"

On to another one for me: I have my own set of behaviors with keys and doors.  I absolutely hate the doorknobs that lock from one side but not the other.  Because of that, I'll never even lock those doors, and when I walk out a door, I always make sure the door knob is unlocked.  (I *DO* lock the deadbolt). This has saved me more than a few times.

Whenever I stand up, I also instinctively check for my wallet, keys and phone in my pockets.  I'm guessing a lot of people do this one.  What's weird is that personal security "experts" actually advice you NOT do to this as it alerts a potential pickpockets where your stuff is.  The thing for me is that I check both pockets at once and do it by brushing the back of my hand against my pocket so it really wouldn't tip off anyone regarding whats in either pocket IMO.

I absolutely cannot stand someone standing behind me or to the left or right side of me if I am sitting down.  I don't go nuts or anything, but get slightly annoyed.  Usually, this only happens at home with the wife or Tazette.  When out, it doesn't seem to bother me as much, unless I'm sitting at a table and people are standing around me.

Hi :)

I still root for and watch the Redskins.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: Close the thread.

I talk to myself.  Always have.  I'll even have "conversations" with people that aren't there, and I know they aren't there.  I'll carry out both sides of the conversation to myself.

My Grandmother used to do this. I remember waking up many mornings hearing her talking to herself in the kitchen as she prepared breakfast. I LOL'd to myself. Now I find myself doing this from time to time. Now I LOL AT myself for this...but I still do it.  :)

Working in grocery for 11 years before my current job, I'd never grab the first one on the shelf, but not because of the reasons you listed.  

My reason is because I've seen first hand a customer decide not to buy a refrigerated item, say sour cream.  The cashier then moves it to an empty register behind her or places in a cart of items that need to be put back on the shelf (mix of non-refrigerated and refrigerated items).  Items sit for hours before being put back.  Then idiot employees not thinking or don't give a **** place said item right back on the shelf in the front.

I've seen that happen countless times, when I did, of course, I removed it and placed it in damage/returns.  I remember one night, some part time bagger put back a half gallon of milk.  I walked up to it, felt it and it was warm, not even close to being slightly cold.  I yelled at the guy and took it off the shelf.  

Same here. My first job was in a grocery store and for perishables I always pull from the back for this reason and because they always rotate their stock. Either way, the freshest stuff should be at the back of the shelf.

I am a perfectionist and I used to have a lot of hangups like the ones mentioned in this thread. I'd even get pissed if others didn't do their work the way I would do it. At some point I realized that wasn't fair to them and it was just stressing me out over something that I had no real right to be stressed out about. I've learned to have zero ****s to give about most things like that nowadays. It makes life a lot easier/happier.

Archived