Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fear the Walking Dead -Season 1

HogNose

I think they've stepped it up. Hard to make headway for this show in comparisons to the giant, but just on its own, I'm finding it good enough so far. I see a handful of potential character successes among the originals here, and the plotlines are sure available.

Had no idea the guy who plays Travis is Australian. That threw me for a "Rick is English" style loop. Lol There's always one...

Anyway, I really liked the episode. I think TWD has me a little jaded though. Only because I find myself getting impatient at some of the characters and their actions. Since this is still a generally new development for them, they all still have a greenness to them about the apocalypse. Haven't quite developed that hardened cynicism yet that we've all developed with the characters of TWD. They'll get there though.

I will say that I'm VERY curious as to whether or not the aim here is to ever intersect the two storylines at some point down the road.

The first episode of season 2 was....okay. My problem with it is because we're so used to the normal Walking Dead, its really frustrating watching how naive/inexperienced this group of characters are. But even beyond that, they just aren't that likeable. I mean even original Walking Dead, early on you really got attached to the characters right away. The only characters I really like are Strand and the old Spanish guy(what's his name again?). Probably because they're cynical and downright dick-ish like the main WD characters.

I'll probably keep watching it just to keep the WD appetite fed but it'll probably be DVR and watch later once Game of Thrones comes back.

Pretty solid. Agree with everyone, they're noobs to the ZA. Hell, the end of the world just started a few days ago. Hopefully they'll wise up fast.

Strand is an asshole, but he's clearly ready for this new world.

Do they have any firepower? Besides a few hand guns? I can't remember if Strand had any boomers at his house before they hit the water

Well really TWD picks up only 30 days into the zombie apocalypse, so it's not like FTWD had that much ground to cover unless they were going to take it real slow and make it maybe a regional problem at first that was contained for awhile, but then breaks out slowly etc etc....but I am not sure how many people would have been interested in that kind of show considering the number one complaint I heard from people in general about FTWD S1 was "it's too slow, I am too use to TWD, so going back to before the chaos is too much"

It was a meh episode. It seems like it was less then 2 days or less since the crap hit the fan. Strands compound already being over run with walkers that didn't seem to be there at the end of last season. Then, there already appears to be a pirate type gang reeking havoc on the ocean. Strand, the old man, the druggie and the corpse are the only people of interest.

I don't think it's that inconsistent.  The first season definitely took place over a few days at least.  We see them trying to have normal work/school days, then getting fenced in by the military, etc.  Salazar (I think that's the name of the hispanic guy, right?) lets the walkers loose from the stadium, plus we have to figure there are even more dead now than there were a few days ago.  

Part of the idea is that this thing spreads faster than anyone can put a lid on it, especially since anyone who dies for any reason turns and probably catches people around them by surprise.

LA is also a major population center, so there are going to be plenty of people to infect and lots of people likely had the idea to head toward the coast.  I do think it got accelerated a little bit for the purpose of having an exciting season opener, but I don't think it was anything unreasonable.

I have this feeling, she is going to be the FTWD Carl, with better eyesight.

agreed LOL.

"Where's Alicia?"

"she's on the boat."  

tumblr_nvdly7wvMC1rb71hfo3_500.gif

A great book for those interested in the actual physics of a "real" ZA, give "The Zombie Survival Guide" a read.

The writer REALLY thought in depth about how this would actually go down, and if it did, this makes perfect sense. He says that anyone infected would lose a lot of motor skills, but still have the same strength/speed they had in real life. So basically if Usain Bolt turns, he likely would be able to catch you, but have a lot of trouble keeping his balance. They said the best thing to do is to wait it out because as the muscles atrophy in the dead, they suddenly lose a ton of strength and would then only be able to crawl or not move at all.

Interesting read.

So at the very, very end, when the camera panned over the ocean, there was reddish/brownish/orangish stuff in the water that may or may not have been ominous. Was this just random ocean life (seaweed, plants, etc) or perhaps a tease of something more sinister/dangerous?

it  is  indeed related to the virus (my call)

Had no idea the guy who plays Travis is Australian. That threw me for a "Rick is English" style loop. Lol There's always one...

Anyway, I really liked the episode. I think TWD has me a little jaded though. Only because I find myself getting impatient at some of the characters and their actions. Since this is still a generally new development for them, they all still have a greenness to them about the apocalypse. Haven't quite developed that hardened cynicism yet that we've all developed with the characters of TWD. They'll get there though.

I will say that I'm VERY curious as to whether or not the aim here is to ever intersect the two storylines at some point down the road.

With me I don't like them not helping stranded people. I don't like the characters (or a better explanation is that I think the characters are evil) of Victor Strand and Daniel Salazar in a sense it is their and those who have the same belief systems actions that contribute/contributed to he fall of civilization. Something to keep in mind this group we're following are some the bad guys that are running loose in that world (As shown in their actions last season leading to the destruction of the refugee camp and the first episode this season).

I thought the son was the new Arl. He adds nothing...At least Alecia is cute.

She is cute, and I understand the dating pool is rather shallow during the apocalypse, but she makes me want them to chum for Negan.

With me I don't like them not helping stranded people. I don't like the characters (or a better explanation is that I think the characters are evil) of Victor Strand and Daniel Salazar in a sense it is their and those who have the same belief systems actions that contribute/contributed to he fall of civilization. Something to keep in mind this group we're following are some the bad guys that are running loose in that world (As shown in their actions last season leading to the destruction of the refugee camp and the first episode this season).

But every extra person taken on is another set of resources depleted. I think it's more of a self preservation mindset than anything purely evil. You also have no idea who is "stranded" and who isn't, as we're seeing from this radio situation. Trying to balance goodwill and self preservation is one of the ultimate challenges of the scenario and core premises of the shows. I think there are contributions to the apocalypse from that mindset, but also plenty from those who don't take enough of a self preservation mentality and don't grasp the idea that trying to help every single person is a good way to get yourself killed. Which means another walker.

nonniey..........

It's the ZA, you stick with the survival plan.  You do not take in new people to deplete resources or worse rob and kill you.  You'd have to look at it like you would any other disaster/tragedy where the truly horrible people in the world use every excuse to steal, kill, hurt, harm, etc.

This being the biggest of "**** hitting the fan" moments, you can't expect the murderers, thieves, etc. to suddenly turn the other cheek and be nice people and start helping others.  You take the Stone Cold Steve Austin approach.

47138954.jpg

I do wish the show didn't move so fast. I mean we just started season 2 and we're basically already in full dead Walking Dead mode. There should still be established human cities and a military presence to deal with. Season 1 kinda sped through that stuff really fast.

Archived