Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Players Tribune: Letter to my younger self (Albert Haynesworth)

SkinsHokieFan

I know everything on that site is ghost-written within an inch of its life, but Haynesworth always struck me as a fairly bright dude off the field - who was probably battling some type of mental illness.

That's funny.. he strikes me as a mentally ill dude battling the brightness that is trying to get in. :)

The whole thing was stupid. He should've been dealt the moment Shanahan was hired and stupidly changed the defense. Instead we watched Shanny publicly humiliate him and destroy any trade value he had. Though Albert wasn't an innocent angel in all of this.

Haynesworthless' antics and laziness had nothing to do with the change in defense. Don't let him kid you.

This "letter" is a self-serving piece of claptrap.

Haynesworth has no one to blame but Haynesworth for the disintegration of a promising career.

Haynesworthless' antics and laziness had nothing to do with the change in defense. Don't let him kid you.

This "letter" is a self-serving piece of claptrap.

Haynesworth has no one to blame but Haynesworth for the disintegration of a promising career.

^^This

Once the check cleared what incentive did he have to perform? We'll never live this one down

I really like the way he talks about the Redskins and what Mike Shanahan told him to do - I am guessing he like so many Redskins fans are blocking out 2009 and his first season here under Jim Zorn... Ah well as well that ends well .. 

I've never hated a Skins player in my life. Until Haynesworth. I've never hated another one after him.

I'm not into judging people so easily, people I don't know personally. You'll never see me call a player or a coach an insulting nickname or label, no matter how popularized it becomes.

But this guy... He's such of piece of ****. God help him see it.

That article only reinforced my view of him. I mean, wow. Does he think people are that stupid?

You took over 40 million dollars in guaranteed money from the Skins. You played in a scheme not dissimilar from the one you played in with the Titans the first year, so no one lied to you when first signed. You still found a way to complain and even walked out of practice towards the end of that year.

Coaching changes happen. Schemes change. You're not fooling anyone acting like you didn't know such things were possible. Shanahan gave you the option not to take your signing bonus that year so you could find another team if you wanted, but if you did it was rightfully expected that you'd do your job since you accepted your employer's payment.

Nose Tackles who excel at clogging up the middle are not easy to find. You don't pay them "$300,000" to do it like it's nothing, you idiot. What a smack in the face to guys like Ngata, Wilfork and Hampton.

And were that to be the case, shouldn't you be grateful that you're getting way overpaid, by your own logic, to do something so easy and beneath you?

What an ahole. He fails to mention Haslett coming out and saying he's willing to let him play on the End if he wants, whatever he wants, just play. He fails to mention the Pats who traded for him and wanted him to play on the Nose as well. His passion was supposedly rekindled by them according to the ahole in an interview that offseason. Yup.

He knows his audience, I guess.

I remember posting at the time about how much I couldn't stand him and how much I hoped the money he took so willingly yet failed to even come close to fulfilling its obligations would yield nothing for him.

I thank God the justice was swift this time and that that's exactly what happened. And I'm glad the whole ordeal with Shanahan made it so that no other player or agent would dare use the Redskins due to their previous stupidity and take advantage of the organization like that again. It hasn't happened since.

Friggin bum.

Yeah I agree this POS is getting way too much love here.  While it's true that he was promised one thing and then asked to do something else that's no excuse for his behavior.  Someone is actually blaming Shanny for making him prove he was in shape after he blew off the team OTAs with an explanation that he was working out on his own? That's ridiculous. If you are going to blow off team approved training to do it on your own you best show up in shape. Sadly he never did which was easy to explain, he was lazy.  All Shanny did was make him prove he was in the shape he claimed he was in. 

Pretty sure the rest of that story with Shanahan was, "and if you don't like it, you can move on." Wasn't there a story out there that Shanny basically told Haynesworth he could take the money and stay and play the way he, Shanahan wanted, or move on and sign somewhere else? At least I thought that was the narrative being pushed at the time. I don't recall anyone disputing it.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/mike-shanahan/shanahan-redskins-were-willing.html

I've never hated a Skins player in my life. Until Haynesworth. I've never hated another one after him.

Friggin bum.

Normally, I would love for an asshole like him to be on your team so that it can hopefully help your team self-destruct.  Not Fat Al, though...  He is everything that is wrong with sports and people and I actually felt bad for your team.  **** him.

I didn't know how the Gurode thing went down. Makes sense now.

If he is to be believed. 

That article only reinforced my view of him. I mean, wow. Does he think people are that stupid?

You took over 40 million dollars in guaranteed money from the Skins. You played in a scheme not dissimilar from the one you played in with the Titans the first year, so no one lied to you when first signed. You still found a way to complain and even walked out of practice towards the end of that year.

Coaching changes happen. Schemes change. You're not fooling anyone acting like you didn't know such things were possible. Shanahan gave you the option not to take your signing bonus that year so you could find another team if you wanted, but if you did it was rightfully expected that you'd do your job since you accepted your employer's payment.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/mike-shanahan/shanahan-redskins-were-willing.html

And there's the article. I posted the same point in the other thread. The revisionist history is ridiculous.

Albert ... Albert ... Albert ...

poor lil' soul

I know you see it ... geez Louise you certainly wrote enough about how wonderful you are ... but even so ... poor poor Albert ... did those mean football men hurt your feelings?  Did every civilized decent person on the face of planet Earth condemn you for stomping all of your ... what?  400 pounds? down on the head of that evil meany who *gasp* clipped you?  Aww ... its tough being such a gentle soul in the body of a (fat lazy self-centered self-justifying) man-ster ... isn't it?

Well someone needs to remind you Albert, so I'll do it.  You're good enough, you're smart enough, and doggone it people like you!  :D   (Who exactly I don't know. Probably some of the people you give money to ... kinda ... close enough anyway).  Chin up Albert.  Everythings gonna be OK.

(I just read the article on Bleacher Report and was going to start the thread if someone else hadn't.  Holy-Cow ... what a delusional small ... small ... very small man big ol' Albert is!)

Dear 2009 Buccaneers,

What the hell were we thinking of? Were we and Dominik totally out of our minds? $135M for this 14 year old? Whew, that was close! Thank you Redskins (for some reason) that Albert wanted to give up $35M for your team. Something about the fan base and media... whatever (LOL). Anyways, $135M saved from a player that would have done the same thing here as he did in Washington, or post FA in Tennessee, NE or anywhere for that matter... is $135M earned... and away from capgate.

The Skins never denied that they promised Haynesworth that he would be used as a disruptive DT.  Of course, Snyder/Cerrato never asked Blache how he wanted his defense to work.  Shanahan compounded the mistake by switching to an Okie 3-4.  If the Skins had used a one gap 3-4 front that probably would have been a round enough hole for the round pegged Haynesworth.  There's no question in my mind that he was a misused talent.  Why anyone thinks he should have walked away from his guaranteed money is beyond me.  Of course, as a fan I was pissed at Haynesworth, at the coach and at the front office for their incredible stupidity. 

I think hes growing up and realized that he really screwed up. No love here for him as a Skin, but thats what I see. Still blaming, but still learning.

He hasn't ever, and will never "grow up!" He will continue to blame everyone else for his worthlessness as long as he draws a breath.

This article ...wow...I don't know whether to be pissed at AH, Snyder, Redface, or the guy who stole his money.

Mostly Snyder because he was the genius who had to have him. Haynsworthless second for slacking off once he got paid. Then Shanny for trying to force a square peg in a round hole.

Wait, so Albert is claiming that Mike Shannahan told him that if he got more than one sack, he'd be pissed?

I can actually believe that. I think Shanny never wanted him and tried to get him to give up his guaranteed contract for the freedom to leave. Albert being the stand up, passionate guy that he is of course took the money and then quit on us.

Archived