Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Report: Joe Barry to be named Redskins' defensive coordinator

HapHaszard

Kirk was here before and a known entity.  Baker wasn't bad ... I'm not sure how much of an impact he had but at least he didn't screw up a relatively strong and one of the few relatively strong positions on this roster.  But Kotwica?  You can't be serious.  I'm gonna skip sarcasm because its not nice ... just going to say ... you can't be serious.

In any case ... some good and I'd say some bad.  Barry though might have been a good hire for LB's coach but DC is unjustifiable.

Kirk had worked here, but wasn't here when Jay came. So the point still stands.

Kotwica has done a pretty good stuff with what was given. He even made Tress Way a nice punter out of someone that have been out of the league. I could even say it's a shame he wasn't in the Pro Bowl. He's getting lots of hate, but he really did some good work. But perhaps you loved 2013 ST ?

Regarding the DC, another fact is that Schwartz is still unemployed and not interviewed as well. Fangio got snubbed for the HC gig by is DL Coach and Wade is still retired and no one's after him. That doesn't speak much about all of them either. Still they are widely regarded as bests candidates around here. Give the guy a break.

Bummer that Baker is gone, and Morris lives on. Tampa 2 Forever.

I wonder if Barry pulls a Gruden and shuns a backers coach, much like Gruden shunned an experienced OC, and QB coach altogether. 

Because he thinks he is more than qualified to take on the entire D and the extra work needed with the LBs, his comfort zone.

#Clinging. 

I think it's funny that people are all bent out of shape with the hiring of this DC. It won't make a difference. We're not going to be good next year. The HC has already proven he's not ready to lead a team. Now people are shocked he would hire someone like Barry as his DC. This is the guy that apparently begged Haslett to stay. That's the level of skill this guy has.

Do we need better players? That goes without saying. Nevertheless, the coaches aren't helping.

It's called the Bruce Allen effect. It still amazes me that Dan Snyder has put all his faith in this staff.

It amazes me even more that people are excited by anyone Bruce Allen hires. It's pretty obvious to me that he's the biggest problem we have outside of Snyder. Everything below him falls into place, into a strong line of mediocrity.

I know, "but Scot McGlouhan!" I was almost there too.

The guy was dumped by his last two teams and out of football.

I like that we got a guy who picks players rather than Bruce or Scott Campbell, but reality has now set in.

We're no better off than post-Shanahan.

Bruce is the new Vinny Cerrato.

Dan will still likely interfere, and we're still likely to see 5-10 plus years of 5-11 to 9-7.

Anyone of value will flee within 2-3 years of being hired realizing that they just can't fix the dysfunction here.

I remain very skeptical. I was almost coming over to the realm, of "maybe this could work", but that has faded.

Until we succeed, I'm assuming we won't succeed. I've seen too many Snyder off seasons turning into failure to assume things will change.

Wow I'm just flabergastic. We can one of the few coaches that actually help develop players. And promote morris, who has developed no one since being here. When does the madness stop

Sigh

Breeland and Amerson have done all right.  Frankly, the Skins have kind of limited what Morris had to work with.  Tons of injuries and plenty of UDFA.  The only guy he's worked with where it seems like a failure on the Skins is Rambo. 

Plus we've heard from London Fletcher that Haslett called some flat out terrible defenses.

How much longer are they going to allow Monte Kiffen to be on the Dallas coaching staff. He should've been here by now.

They'll only make that move when they want to package him with Lane as head coach. In other words, next year, after Gruden is fired and takes the blame for all of Allen's shortcomings.

That Barry is going with a one gap 3-4 as if its new development for the team. I thought the one gap 3-4 was the main reason for Haslett unshackled last season: shifting from 2 gap to 1 gap. http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-3-4-defense-finally-built-to-jim-hasletts-liking-is-capable-of-causing-havoc/2014/09/18/69c7dfce-3f3c-11e4-b0ea-8141703bbf6f_story.html

The whole idea that Barry is going to be more aggressive. That was exactly the story told of Haslett before the 2014 season.

I liked this post, but i don't think the problem was Haslett being aggressive, i think he just wasn't successful. Partly due to injuries, partly due to being predictable. Gruden wanted to keep Haslett, so i imagine he's looking for continuation on the philosophy.

True, a year of having a professional-looking defense might get our hopes up too high.

I think Gruden is looking for a staff that can be here a while to build consistency here. I really hope he isn't fired or even on the hot seat right now. I want him to get at least 3 years, regardless of my opinion of RG3 and some of Gruden's bad decisions. I think that in order for us to develop players, they need to be in the same system for a long time where things have a chance to become second nature. They can't do that if they're learning a new system every year or two. And we can't establish a franchise if we keep changing 20-30 players every year.

Amazing that Gruden could reach into a barrel full of well-considered Defensive Coordinators and come out with Barry.

Even more amazing is that Barry's is only here for one day, and the Skins lose a really decent member of the defensive coaching squad. But meanwhile, Barry inexplicably promotes Morris, the architect of one of the worst Skins defensive secondaries for several years running. SMH!

In my opinion, this hire will probably turn out to be a major reach by Gruden, and that Barry will be exposed as only capable as a decent LB'ers coach but incapable of stepping up to what it takes to be a decent defensive coordinator.

I'll concede that it is certainly Gruden's right to pick his own staff. But I too have a right to think that Gruden's choice was a very poor one. (By the way, did any other franchise interview Barry?).

IMO, Barry's already flubbed, by insisting to retain and even promote his Ex -Bucs buddies, while letting the truly talented coaches depart. So, in light of the poor first impression Barry's made, going forward he will have to really have to show something positive, to prove to me he's worth a #### as a defensive coordinator for the Skins.

BTW, I listened to his "X's & O's" --I've got to say, he didn't impress me as being all that sharp, but then, neither does Gruden!

I think Gruden is looking for a staff that can be here a while to build consistency here. I really hope he isn't fired or even on the hot seat right now. I want him to get at least 3 years, regardless of my opinion of RG3 and some of Gruden's bad decisions. I think that in order for us to develop players, they need to be in the same system for a long time where things have a chance to become second nature. They can't do that if they're learning a new system every year or two. And we can't establish a franchise if we keep changing 20-30 players every year.

Consistency only matters when your coaches are worth it. These coaches are in over their heads, hired by a guy in over his head. We've got a real GM now, let's build like an actual winning franchise. Flush out the old to make room for coaches who mccloughan sees talent in.

That Barry is going with a one gap 3-4 as if its new development for the team.  I thought the one gap 3-4 was the main reason for Haslett unshackled last season:  shifting from 2 gap to 1 gap.   http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-3-4-defense-finally-built-to-jim-hasletts-liking-is-capable-of-causing-havoc/2014/09/18/69c7dfce-3f3c-11e4-b0ea-8141703bbf6f_story.html

The whole idea that Barry is going to be more aggressive.  That was exactly the story told of Haslett before the 2014 season.   

Yeah, its not new at all really. I've always said that whole 1-gap/2-gap argument is over done almost as much as the 34 vs 43.

I don't think there are many DCs out there asking their defense to play a 2-gap front in nickel/sub packages/passing situations which happens ~60 percent of the time with the emphasis on the passing game.

If I was Barry I would be in Jay, Bruce and Scott's ear.....saying something to the effect of 'tell me your getting me at least 1 S that can play and another big body pass rusher'

I'm trying real hard to be optimistic about this, but I can't, I have no faith that the Coodinator for the 0-16 (and that in today's NFL might stand forever) Lions will improve this Defense, I don't buy into the he's hungry narrative, and if we keep Raheem, it's even worse. I almost feel like when we said we can't do worse than Haslett, Jay took it as a personal challenge to find someone worse.

NO ONE wanted Barry, except us, and knowing Bruce we probably got in a bidding war with ourselves for his services. I have no faith the Gruden will extrapolate his head from his ass, and I think we're headed for the first pick in 2016 

If I was Barry I would be in Jay, Bruce and Scott's ear.....saying something to the effect of 'tell me your getting me at least 1 S that can play and another big body pass rusher'

And Callahan is in Scot's ear telling him "tell me you're getting me at least 1 guard that can play...and an OT...and another guard...and a big bodied TE who can actually block."

And Scot's just like "...well.  THIS is a fine pickle."

Jay making the calls on Barry's assistants?  That's how it reads to me.  Thought Jay let Haz pick his own unlike Shanny beforehand.

He also declined to address specifics with the Redskins‘ current assistant coaches, noting only that he would have input on decisions but would defer to Gruden. While Gruden said Tuesday that those choices would be made beginning next week, ESPN 980, the team-owned radio station, reported earlier Wednesday that outside linebackers coach Brian Baker would not return to theRedskins after one season.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jan/21/joe-barry-ready-prove-himself-after-becoming-redsk/?page=1#ixzz3PYUfjcTc 

Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

But Kotwica?  You can't be serious.  I'm gonna skip sarcasm because its not nice ... just going to say ... you can't be serious.

I'm not sure why Ben keeps getting a bad rap around here.  When we had Danny Smith, the STs were constantly graded (on my scale) about a D-.  Multiple kicks/punts blocked, chip shots missed, massive penalties and lot's of coverage breakdowns.  In fact, he went to Pittsburgh and their STs actually got worse.

Then along comes Mr. Burns.  I guy who has never been a STs coach, but was a former "Bronco" (yeah, no cronyism there) under Shanahan.  Burns actually made our STs worse.  He acted like all he was doing was collecting a paycheck.  His claim to fame under his 1 season here is he got into an actual fistfight with one of the players.  Really?  A fistfight?  Not an argument. Actually duking it out. Grade F.

So, were were pretty much at rock bottom for STs.  In comes Kotwicka to clean up the mess. We had one punt and one XP blocked the first game of the season by Mr. Defense/Unlimited Motor, JJ Watt.  It was then discovered that the problem was Kedric Golston.  He takes Golston out and lo and behold, no more blocks for the rest of the season.  We did allow 1 KO and 1 PR for TDs this year.  That is a vast improvement from letting up "multiple" scores and long returns.  I thought the coverage units improved this year. Still have a ways to go.  Penalties- While we still commit too many, I thought I saw an improvement.  While Roberts didn't have a great year returning, he did break off a few runs.  It was nice not seeing Randle-El and his "dancing queen" routine out there or Brandon Banks running backwards and fumbling.  Kai had a solid year and his KOs were better than they'd been, although I'd like to see Way kick off.

Overall, while the STs wasn't anything to write home about, I wouldn't call them absymal like they've been.  I thought they were OK. You gotta give Kotwicka time to get them out of their bad habits.  He learned from one of the best in Mike Westhoff.  Grade- C

Come on guys, criticize where it's due.  Kotwicka isn't one of them.

Man, this board needs to be medicated, because it is so bipolar.  People get excited about people they've heard about, and then the one hire that they don't know much about, the board goes into a death spiral.

It is easy to buy into hype of people who have track records, to know that these guys have success in the past.  Problem is, it often hasn't translated into success here, for whatever reason.

To be honest, most of us know nothing about Barry other than he was a DC on a universally awful Detroit team.  As mentioned elsewhere, when a team goes 0-16, it is a universal effort by the team, a complete failure from the organization as a whole.  So, one individual doesn't really have an effect on that.  So, I'll tend to not hold that against him, because it isn't exactly enough of a track record to judge anyone.

I understand it is hard to get excited about someone you don't know, and I can't say that I'm over the moon about the choice, but it hardly means it was an awful hire.  To be honest, whether we have made a good hire will only be answered in time, when the team has played games and we can see if our fortunes have changed because of them.

So, for once, don't be a slave to hype.  Be happy that we've made some key changes that have been long overdue and hope that they are the right changes.

TheLongshot...if you can find me one article that highlights the GOOD things that Joe Barry has done scheme-wise, etc., then I might be a little more optimistic about the hire.  THere is really nothing out there.  That's a major red flag.  As a matter of fact, the only positives that I've seen regarding Barry are about him personality wise.  That does NOTHING.  All in all, I will guarantee that if there is a silver lining, the entire coaching staff will be gutted after this season.  We'll start fresh in '16.

TheLongshot...if you can find me one article that highlights the GOOD things that Joe Barry has done scheme-wise, etc., then I might be a little more optimistic about the hire.  THere is really nothing out there.  That's a major red flag.  As a matter of fact, the only positives that I've seen regarding Barry are about him personality wise.  That does NOTHING.  All in all, I will guarantee that if there is a silver lining, the entire coaching staff will be gutted after this season.  We'll start fresh in '16.

Exactly.  If you go interview for a executive level tech job, and the most important piece of relevant experience you have on your resume is ENRON, then more than likely you are not getting that job....unless you know the guy who's interviewing you.

TheLongshot wants people to give Gruden the benefit of the doubt, but he has NOT earned that right.  Not at all.

Archived