Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Report: Joe Barry to be named Redskins' defensive coordinator

HapHaszard

If the SD board is anything like this one I don't think I would put too much value in the varied and sorted messages they relay.  The media folks from SD I have heard/read all seem to think he was very effective developing the young LBs.  They say the players all respected him and played hard for him.  I will support him until his actions here no longer warrant it.

You don't have to like the decision, but he is ours now and we need to support him.

Great hire by the redskins, a young and energetic guy like barry is exactly what this team needs. Although he is not a household name, that's exactly the type of people this team needs. HTTR

you must have a different idea of the position description than I do.  Young and energetic sounds nice ... but the job requires the ability to build a superior defense, develop a superior defensive scheme, coach a superior defensive scheme, and responsively and reactively adapt the defensive scheme to a better tactic that the defense can execute in real-time during games.  I don't think that is anywhere on young and energetic Joe Barry's resume ... ANYWHERE

incidentally ... he is a household name.  He's WELL KNOWN in Detroit.  I think he's banned for life in every sports bar in the greater Detroit metro area.

If the SD board is anything like this one I don't think I would put too much value in the varied and sorted messages they relay. The media folks from SD I have heard/read all seem to think he was very effective developing the young LBs. They say the players all respected him and played hard for him. I will support him until his actions here no longer warrant it.

You don't have to like the decision, but he is ours now and we need to support him.

Reading the team-published media guide for perspective on a coach is an unwise use of time.

If the best thing you can say about a coach is he's energetic, that would seem to be a red flag.  Descriptors like "brilliant football mind", "great at Xs and Os", "good at in-game adjustments", "good teacher", would seem to be desirable.  I notice Gruden didn't open with any of those.  He basically just described a guy that's fun at a party.  Great. 

If the best thing you can say about a coach is he's energetic, that would seem to be a red flag.  Descriptors like "brilliant football mind", "great at Xs and Os", "good at in-game adjustments", "good teacher", would seem to be desirable.  I notice Gruden didn't open with any of those.  He basically just described a guy that's fun at a party.  Great. 

I think because it was something important that was missing from the defense last year. If you want other quotes, look here:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/jan/20/chargers-/

“I feel fortunate to have worked with Joe for the past two seasons," McCoy said. "He’s an outstanding technician and communicator. He gets the most from his players. They love playing for him. Washington is getting a very good football coach.”

“This is a great opportunity for a bright, young, energetic football coach," Pagano said. "Joe is extremely detailed and organized. He’s demanding on his players, pushing them to excel to their fullest capabilities. The players will love playing for Joe.”

Edit: and something from John Keim about "Energetic"

That's not to say Phillips wouldn't have done well. But it is easy to see why a head coach would stress energy so much when picking the coordinator. It will be required. Yes, other qualities matter. The people I've talked to who know Barry respect his knowledge and call him detailed; that's something this group needs (in addition to more talent). The Redskins have strong connections to Phillips, too, (and I was told before this process that Bruce Allen was a big fan). Obviously the ties to Barry are deeper.

So what if he shops the offer? I, and presumably snyder, don't care what another team ends up paying him. It's not like snyder has to put a down payment to make an offer.

Haven't you learned anything over the past 15 years?  People are interested in money, they come here, fail and leave with said money; we can continue down that path or get someone that is going to want to be here rather than just bringing in a hot name.  And you're going to bring up Zorn - there's one difference, Cerrato

Haven't you learned anything over the past 15 years? People are interested in money, they come here, fail and leave with said money; we can continue down that path or get someone that is going to want to be here rather than just bringing in a hot name. And you're going to bring up Zorn - there's one difference, Cerrato

Bruce has a worse win percentage than vinny. Your move, but pretty sure that's checkmate.

Bruce has a worse win percentage than vinny. Your move, but pretty sure that's checkmate.

You haven't proved anything?  You have simply stated your opinion (ridiculous one in my mind) of hoping this coaching staff fails.

You can call checkmate when your opinion becomes fact.  So until both have failed, looks like it'll just be a stalemate but I'm willing to give them a chance.

You haven't proved anything? You have simply stated your opinion (ridiculous one in my mind) of hoping this coaching staff fails.

You can call checkmate when your opinion becomes fact. So until both have failed, looks like it'll just be a stalemate but I'm willing to give them a chance.

So wait, zorn wanting to be here but being hired by an inept vinny is different from gruden/barry wanting to be here but being hired by an equally if not more so inept bruce? Fool me once...

So wait, zorn wanting to be here but being hired by an inept vinny is different from gruden/barry wanting to be here but being hired by an equally if not more so inept bruce? Fool me once...

Zorn was a QB coach up for a OC job and Vinny fumbled around and made him a head coach.  Gruden was up for HC jobs and was hired as a HC and Barry was a positions coach up for a DC position.

Little different hiring a OC for a HC, a LB coach for a DC than a QB Coach for a HC.

Zorn was a QB coach up for a OC job and Vinny fumbled around and made him a head coach. Gruden was up for HC jobs and was hired as a HC and Barry was a positions coach up for a DC position.

Little different hiring a OC for a HC, a LB coach for a DC than a QB Coach for a HC.

Also a little different when zorn was unattached to vinny but the Tampa Bay crew is practically inbred.

We're going into year 1 and 2; I'm not saying they're going to be successful.  They deserve a shot with a personnel guy.  I don't have a problem letting them go if they fail but I'm also not wishing for them to fail because that'll just set things back.  Wouldn't you rather they both work out and know that we're set top to bottom or would you prefer the unknowns?  As someone else mentioned, SM has never hired a coach before so what is the guarantee he would be able to?

We're going into year 1 and 2; I'm not saying they're going to be successful. They deserve a shot with a personnel guy. I don't have a problem letting them go if they fail but I'm also not wishing for them to fail because that'll just set things back. Wouldn't you rather they both work out and know that we're set top to bottom or would you prefer the unknowns? As someone else mentioned, SM has never hired a coach before so what is the guarantee he would be able to?

There is no guarantee, but I damn sure trust his judgment over bruce's. I prefer the unknowns over a group of coaches who have thus far been proven among the worst in the nfl.

Lmbo.. .Barry like Haslett wasn't on nobody's radar....all we can do now is try and find a brighter side. Hope Barry's awful record wasn't his fault..But boy When the season starts and we start getting torched..Its gonna be a nightmare.

Well, prepare for a nightmare, and it has nothing to do with Barry. It has everything to do with the fact that we blow goats, right now, and it will take several years to change it.

Seems there's a simple question that should have been given more exploration long ago---don't a lot (not every one) of NFL staffs consist mainly (not entirely) of people hired with a primary (but not the only) driver being knowing the HC and/or each other and thinking they would work well together?  

While people may not like what they see as the competence level of a hire, are "personal connections" influencing such choices not commonplace? (I know the answer). It's not some bizarre dynamic. 

Yes, yes, I know the auto-response will be "but the issue is these tampa guys all suck, and the guys they know suck, and they're hiring them OVER better guys available" so let's tip the hat to that line of thought, and go past it for this post.  I'm not offering some weak blanket defense of the hires to date or those to come.

Understand my comments simply refer to painting "hiring guys you know and are comfortable with" as some weird thing for a HC to do.

It would be interesting to see a list of OCs and DCs who were fired because they had a last place offense or defense and then was hired in that role again and had success.

Steve Spagnuolo's d in New Orleans allowed the most yards of any team in history

Seems there's a simple question that should have been given more exploration long ago---don't a lot (not every one) of NFL staffs consist mainly (not entirely) of people hired with a primary (but not the only) driver being knowing the HC and/or each other and thinking they would work well together?...................................................Understand my comments simply refer to painting "hiring guys you know and are comfortable with" as some weird thing for a HC to do.

But that completely misses the point, there is a large, vocal, obnoxious faction here that has never and will never be swayed by reasonable debate, they look on "facts" (cuz that's how they see 'em, in quotes) as mere underbrush to be swept aside to make way for an agenda.

Probably because I'm getting older but more and more we feel like we're slipping back into the Dark Ages, here and elsewhere, where spiteful curses are hurled at the rational for their lack of faith in all things, their heresy in pointing out reality.

Seems there's a simple question that should have been given more exploration long ago---don't a lot (not every one) of NFL staffs consist mainly (not entirely) of people hired with a primary (but not the only) driver being knowing the HC and/or each other and thinking they would work well together?

While people may not like what they see as the competence level of a hire, are "personal connections" influencing such choices not commonplace? (I know the answer). It's not some bizarre dynamic.

Yes, yes, I know the auto-response will be "but the issue is these tampa guys all suck, and the guys they know suck, and they're hiring them OVER better guys available" so let's tip the hat to that line of thought, and go past it for this post. I'm not offering some weak blanket defense of the hires to date or those to come.

Understand my comments simply refer to painting "hiring guys you know and are comfortable with" as some weird thing for a HC to do.

I think people are more upset that everyone they know sucks rather than the modus operandi of hiring people you know.

I think people are more upset that everyone they know sucks rather than the modus operandi of hiring people you know.

Yes, yes, I know the auto-response will be "but the issue is these tampa guys all suck, and the guys they know suck, and they're hiring them OVER better guys available" so let's tip the hat to that line of thought, and go past it for this post. I'm not offering some weak blanket defense of the hires to date or those to come.

Not surprised you quickly needed to be "that guy" given your post in Kdawg's thread.

OTOH, I do think you're generally a football-smart guy (IMO).

It would be interesting to see a list of OCs and DCs who were fired because they had a last place offense or defense and then was hired in that role again and had success.

Vic Fangio had the 31st/32nd ranked defense in yards/points respectively in 2005 with Houston.

Wade Phillips has had several.

Just to name 2.

Zorn was a QB coach up for a OC job and Vinny fumbled around and made him a head coach.  Gruden was up for HC jobs and was hired as a HC and Barry was a positions coach up for a DC position.

good points ... but Zorn had never previously been the OC or HC of the worst squad in the NFL ... like Barry

Vic Fangio had the 32nd ranked defense in 2005 with Houston.

Wade Phillips has had several.

but they have also had good/great defenses as the DC ... they proved they were capable of delivering a quality defense

What I don't understand is what does Gruden see ... why does Gruden believe Joe Barry can deliver a defense any better then the best he's ever delivered ... i.e., the worse in the NFL ... which frankly you, I and anyone else in this forum could have done.

seriously ... Jay ... explain this ... cheer us up ... help us understand why this is "good" and why you think a guy who was DC of two NFL defenses, the 2010 and 2011 Detroit Lion defenses ... and both were the worst in the league ... making every defense he's ever coordinated the worst in the league.  I believe (hope really) you have reasons ... give me something to cling to ... some reason to believe this isn't the worst DC hiring decision you could have made.

Archived