Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Report: Joe Barry to be named Redskins' defensive coordinator

HapHaszard

TheLongshot...if you can find me one article that highlights the GOOD things that Joe Barry has done scheme-wise, etc., then I might be a little more optimistic about the hire.  THere is really nothing out there.  That's a major red flag.  As a matter of fact, the only positives that I've seen regarding Barry are about him personality wise.  That does NOTHING.  All in all, I will guarantee that if there is a silver lining, the entire coaching staff will be gutted after this season.  We'll start fresh in '16.

I don't think it is a red flag if the information you want doesn't really exist yet.  Really, the only thing we have to go on is his time in Detroit, and that might not even apply since he was running a 4-3 defense and we will be keeping the 3-4. Hell, it is kinda hard to judge when most of the players he coached there were out of the NFL after a couple of years.

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/14822/joe-barrys-detroit-defenses-lacked-talent

I guess you can try to infer what kind a defense he'd run from looking at the people he worked under (Kiffin, Schwartz, Pagano), but I doubt he will be exactly like any of those guys.

You also have to look at it from the viewpoint that Fangio was a possible option for a HC next year so the likelihood of him being hear more than a year or 2 was dim anyway.

You mean, hiring a guy with a possible HC position in a year or two after he was bypassed by its own DL coach for the job in SF?

People here uses informations as they suits them and tends to forget the others. That simple fact is a huge blows in Fangio's greatness. If he was so great they 49ers should have hired him firstplace. They didn't. That must be because they're dumb. Wait, around here they're seen as perennial winners and a great organisation, so they don't **** up.

I think it's funny that people are all bent out of shape with the hiring of this DC. It won't make a difference. We're not going to be good next year. The HC has already proven he's not ready to lead a team. Now people are shocked he would hire someone like Barry as his DC. This is the guy that apparently begged Haslett to stay. That's the level of skill this guy has.

Do we need better players? That goes without saying. Nevertheless, the coaches aren't helping.

It's called the Bruce Allen effect. It still amazes me that Dan Snyder has put all his faith in this staff.

It amazes me even more that people are excited by anyone Bruce Allen hires. It's pretty obvious to me that he's the biggest problem we have outside of Snyder. Everything below him falls into place, into a strong line of mediocrity.

I know, "but Scot McGlouhan!" I was almost there too.

The guy was dumped by his last two teams and out of football.

1 What makes you think Gruden is not ready to lead a team? HE hired some good coaches last year, and after RG3's benching he was more interesting to see. As a whole we played slightly better toward the end of the season. QB Carrousel? That had much to do with KC mental crash in two games than Jay being dumb.

2 Bruce Allen is now Team President, a position where most here thinks he's great at. What's the problem? Scot is in charge of personnel, not Bruce. Scot will take care of players, FA and Draft.

3 Scott wasn't dump he left for personnal reasons, not because he sucked.

Come on guys, criticize where it's due.  Kotwicka isn't one of them.

Not quoting the whole part as I agree with this. I've even posted all ST stats in another thread, that shown we did improve on almost every facets of the ST Team fro 2013 to 2014, with almost the same players.  It's almost the same for Barry right here. Not my choice first hand, but honestly, I feel sorry for him as he didn't deserve this.

Here's a look at some other defensive coordinators across the league that I' guessing that people on this board would get really upset if we hired them because they've coached sucky defenses.

Jim Schwartz - 2001 (25, 25)

Jim Schwartz - 2004 (27, 30)

Jim Schwartz - 2005 (19, 29)

Jim Schwartz - 2006 (32, 31)

Jim Schwartz - 2009 (32, 32)

Jim Schwartz - 2011 (23, 23)

Dick LeBeau - 1985 (22, 26)

Dick LeBeau - 1986 (20, 23)

Dick LeBeau - 1990 (25, 19)

Dick LeBeau - 1991 (28, 28)

Dick LeBeau - 1997 (28, 27)

Dick LeBeau - 1998 (28, 30)

Dick LeBeau - 1999 (25, 31)

Dick LeBeau - 2000 (22, 21)

Romeo Crennel - 2000 (26, 27)

Romeo Crennel - 2006 (27, 22)

Romeo Crennel - 2012 (20, 25)

Bob Babich - 2013 (27, 28)

Bob Babich - 2014 (26, 26)

Ray Horton - 2014 (27, 29)

Jack Del Rio - 2009 (23, 24)

Jack Del Rio - 2010 (28, 27)

Jason Tarver - 2013 (22, 29)

Jason Tarver - 2014 (21, 32)

Rod Marinelli - 2007 (32, 32)

Rod Marinelli - 2008 (32, 32)

Bill Davis - 2005 (32, 30)

Bill Davis - 2006 (26, 32)

Bill Davis - 2010 (29, 30)

Bill Davis - 2014 (28, 22)

Perry Fewell - 2011 (27, 25)

Dom Capers - 1998 (30, 27)

Dom Capers - 2003 (30, 27)

Dom Capers - 2005 (31, 32)

Dom Capers - 2007 (23, 30)

Dom Capers - 2013 (25, 24)

George Edwards - 2003 (25, 24)

George Edwards - 2010 (28, 25)

George Edwards - 2011 (26, 30)

Mel Tucker - 2009 (23, 24)

Mel Tucker - 2010 (28, 27)

Mel Tucker - 2014 (30, 31)

Rob Ryan - 2004 (30, 31)

Rob Ryan - 2005 (27, 25)

Rob Ryan - 2006 (22, 26)

Rob Ryan - 2007 (27, 24)

Rob Ryan - 2008 (31, 21)

Rob Ryan - 2012 (19, 24)

Rob Ryan - 2014 (28, 28)

Mike Nolan - 1998 (24, 28)

Mike Nolan - 1998 (30, 24)

Mike Nolan - 2005 (32, 30)

Mike Nolan - 2006 (26, 32)

Mike Nolan - 2007 (25, 20)

Mike Nolan - 2013 (27, 27)

Mike Nolan - 2014 (32, 27)

Leslie Frazier - 2003 (28, 28)

Leslie Frazier - 2011 (21, 31)

Leslie Frazier - 2013 (31, 32)

Leslie Frazier - 2014 (25, 25)

Vic Fangio - 1998 (30, 27)

Vic Fangio - 2001 (29, 31)

Vic Fangio - 2003 (31, 27)

Vic Fangio - 2005 (32, 31)

Gregg Williams - 2001 (21, 29)

Gregg Williams - 2006 (31, 27)

Gregg Williams - 2009 (25, 20)

And that's just a look at the active defensive coordinators last year, but everybody has blotches on their resume that they're not proud of. I think people are just looking for reasons to complain and taking out their frustration on the Barry hire because. Its not uncommon for coaches to get a second chance in this league. They, probably more than any of us, understand how grimy the coaching business is and how often people get fired without really getting a shot. Imagine if Dick LeBeau had never been given a chance in Pitt. Some of these guys are guys who will wale out and be unheard of, but some are well known names that we were calling for here, so lets not act like they've all got perfect resumes.

Barry was a LB coach on a number of top ten defenses. I wish people would stop ignoring that.

I don't even know why I'm so interested in this stuff. This place will complain no matter what.

You mean, hiring a guy with a possible HC position in a year or two after he was bypassed by its own DL coach for the job in SF?

People here uses informations as they suits them and tends to forget the others. That simple fact is a huge blows in Fangio's greatness. If he was so great they 49ers should have hired him firstplace. They didn't. That must be because they're dumb. Wait, around here they're seen as perennial winners and a great organisation, so they don't **** up.

If the 9ers were as smart as you claim they are...they probably wouldn't have fire their HC in the first place.  Fangio not getting the 9ers HC job after they booted a HC that got them to 3 straight NFCCG doesn't mean anything about Fangio...other than he was probably too close to Harbaugh (personally or attitude wise).

Your special teams are only as good as the bottom of your roster.  Given how questionable the top of the roster is, is it really a shock that ST has been questionable?  That's why I shake my head when people want the head of the ST coach.  Doesn't matter much if the players suck.

That being said, our kicker and punter had good to great seasons.

aside from kicker and punter ... hustle and desire are huge factors .... in addition to natural talent.  fundementals like lanes and tackling, blocking etc.  can be done well by relatively average players and even below average players ... if there is a team that could most benefit from their coach ... its STs

there were bone-headed screw ups ... we were taken by gimicks ... bad tackling ... etc. 

I get that the talent wasn't great ... but if that's all it takes to remove the coach from the equation ... I say go with a player coach ... save the money and whenever there's sufficient talent ... go find a good ST coach

Here's a look at some other defensive coordinators across the league that I' guessing that people on this board would get really upset if we hired them because they've coached sucky defenses.

And that's just a look at the active defensive coordinators last year, but everybody has blotches on their resume that they're not proud of. I think people are just looking for reasons to complain and taking out their frustration on the Barry hire because. Its not uncommon for coaches to get a second chance in this league. They, probably more than any of us, understand how grimy the coaching business is and how often people get fired without really getting a shot. Imagine if Dick LeBeau had never been given a chance in Pitt. Some of these guys are guys who will wale out and be unheard of, but some are well known names that we were calling for here, so lets not act like they've all got perfect resumes.

Barry was a LB coach on a number of top ten defenses. I wish people would stop ignoring that.

I don't even know why I'm so interested in this stuff. This place will complain no matter what.

I deleted the middle of your statement only for space reasons. I wish I have 1000 likes I could give. Seriously measured but very accurate statements in total. I was going to post something similar but you beat me to it.

Thanks! Very well said!

And Callahan is in Scot's ear telling him "tell me you're getting me at least 1 guard that can play...and an OT...and another guard...and a big bodied TE who can actually block."

And Scot's just like "...well.  THIS is a fine pickle."

And then Jay's like, "We have a running back who never gets anything more than what we block, so I'd like a new one."  And McVay is like "Hey Scot, if you're going to Walgreens, can you pick up some pimple cream?"  Then Snyder leaves him a jar of "Find better players" sauce in front of his office door.

Then Scot quits.

I'm trying real hard to be optimistic about this, but I can't, I have no faith that the Coodinator for the 0-16 (and that in today's NFL might stand forever) Lions will improve this Defense, I don't buy into the he's hungry narrative, and if we keep Raheem, it's even worse. I almost feel like when we said we can't do worse than Haslett, Jay took it as a personal challenge to find someone worse.

NO ONE wanted Barry, except us, and knowing Bruce we probably got in a bidding war with ourselves for his services. I have no faith the Gruden will extrapolate his head from his ass, and I think we're headed for the first pick in 2016 

I look at it this way. Rod M. turned around the Cowboys defense didn't he? They were suppose to have a terrible defense.  He was the head coach of that awful team. Doesn't mean he can't coach defense. He obviously can. I'm looking at Joe Barry having something to prove and maybe he can get something out of these players that Haslett couldn't.

I look at it this way. Rod M. turned around the Cowboys defense didn't he? They were suppose to have a terrible defense. He was the head coach of that awful team. Doesn't mean he can't coach defense. He obviously can. I'm looking at Joe Barry having something to prove and maybe he can get something out of these players that Haslett couldn't.

You realize that d still wasn't good, right?

I see the point of view that everyone deserves a second chance, and that Barry may have not even have been in full control of the defense those two years in Detroit, and that he may even have been a very good LB coach. Also, the point of view that you should wait and see how things turn out before you judge, and you never know.

My response to this point of view is this: what has this FO and this coach in particular done to earn this benefit of the doubt? There have been few moves done by this organization over the last several years that looked risky and ill-advised at the time, which turned out to be great moves. Going outside of the box doesn't appear to work for this team.

As of now, the Redskins have a HC, an OC and a DC that have NO successful NFL experience at their current positions. That doesn't strike anybody as just a little odd? Risky perhaps?  I think the outcry over Barry would have been lessened if the HC was a little more established and didn't seem to be completely over his head. Bringing Callahan in was a great move towards addressing that, but I think more needs to be added. Hopefully the QB coach will be one of those NFL lifer types, with experience at all levels of the offense (i.e. like the new Ravens QB coach, Marty Morninweg. Funny that, the Ravens making solid coaching hires.) and not another one of these guys getting his first shot (or 2nd shot after failing miserably the first time).

Let me finish by saying that I HATE feeling this way about my team, but I can't help it. I used to be able to be positive, and be able to give their decisions time before I judged but I can't do this anymore. Last year finally broke me. I need to see it before I can believe.

Hopefully I will.

When I first heard about Barry being hired I was pretty upset, but then after thinking about it a while I'm not really to concerned about it. I think this team has 3 to 5 years of building through the draft to become a squad that can win more than they lose year in and year out. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this coaching staff is gone in a couple years and then hopefully Scot can get a coach in here that will take us to the next level.

Didn't anybody else hear it when Bruce Allen said he hires the coaches, the GM is going to deal with players?

I'm pretty sure thats what is going on here. We're not getting Scot McCloughan's coach next. It'll just be one more Tampa leftover that we haven't seen yet. Maybe Jon Gruden will have to come back to save his ass :P

I appreciate the optimist on the board but lets just be honest.... This hire reeks of Jim Zorn part Duex! 

1. We hired Jim Zorn because the other coaching candidates chose to go somewhere else! - Check

2. Jim Zorn was a QB Coach with  no evidence of being good as a Coach. - Check

3. Cerrato hired a Yes man that would do what ever he said and wouldn't stir the pot - check

I'm all for giving persons a chance to succeed and grow, but why not hire someone with EVIDENCE of being a good coach?? 

I think fans wouldve loved if Brian Baker was promoted. He clearly improved our LB play!  

Or Ken Norton Jr, his LBs in Seattle are " UNCONSCIOUS" !! 

I think people's concern is the lack of track record, not the lack of notoriety. 

When I first heard about Barry being hired I was pretty upset, but then after thinking about it a while I'm not really to concerned about it. I think this team has 3 to 5 years of building through the draft to become a squad that can win more than they lose year in and year out. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this coaching staff is gone in a couple years and then hopefully Scot can get a coach in here that will take us to the next level.

The problem i have with this is if the unexpected happens and Berry turns out to be every bit the waste of time he's been in the past as a DC, then that means that for the next 3-5 years we'll be giving these draft picks to a coach who will teach them how to fail.

When you have a bad coach, the damage takes forever to fiix. Because as the new draft choices are being ruined, the chances increase tremendously that the vets who we want to keep likely go elsewhere to win when given the opportunity to flee. 

I've been thinking on this for a week now, trying to find something to hold onto..  but i just can't, And all of the "well, he MIGHT"..  just doesn't help me.  It's nice to see so much optimism among fans,, even cautious optimism  usually i'm there with you.. but not on this.

I think we're looking at an extremely high draft choice in 2016. 

But as usual, i hope i'm off by a lot.

~Bang

I find it funny that everyone is giving Gruden **** for hiring guys that he is comfortable with, yet, 34 years ago in 1981, an offensive coordinator from the San Diego Chargers hired a bunch of his friends that he had worked with and was comfortable with to be his coaches and then (gasp) pretty much hired them all back (those still alive or not on oxygen tanks) 25 years later for a victory tour with the old band.

Gruden is doing the same thing Gibbs did not once, but twice. And Gibbs had never been a head coach nor had any experience. But it worked out because the coaching staff was very close, on the same page and worked well together.

Thing is when Gibbs did it it worked .... And also take joe bugel for example he had his success with the oilers his offensive lines have been monumental in teams success as far as I know there was no shared history .... But the staff Gibbs put together in the 80s were reknown for their own achievements not for ineptitude ....

And even though the coaching staff did have that space cowboys feel too it it was still the most successful coaching staff we have had in probably 20 years .....

God only knows what Gruden is doing

Thing is when Gibbs did it it worked .... And also take joe bugel for example he had his success with the oilers his offensive lines have been monumental in teams success as far as I know there was no shared history .... But the staff Gibbs put together in the 80s were reknown for their own achievements not for ineptitude ....

And even though the coaching staff did have that space cowboys feel too it it was still the most successful coaching staff we have had in probably 20 years .....

Gibbs wasn't just finishing his first year as a rookie head coach.

Gruden shouldn't have been doing the hiring since he just became a head coach himself.

This was a bad move by the Redskins to hire someone barely proven while trying to rebuild the defense. This guy doesn't have the experience to build on.

Been reading the articles, Jay's quotes, etc about the hire.  A lot of it seems to be how they hit it off in the interview and how he likes his personality.  I am not in the Jay camp by any stretch, I think Jay's going to flame out.   The way he seems to look at Barry is this dude is me but on defense.  Like Jay he's not had an easy path up the ranks. Like Jay you can argue his big break in the NFL had a family nepotism component to it.  Like Jay he coached in Tampa.  Like Jay he's been giving a hard time (Jay here and at times in Cincy for playoff losses where he went pass heavy).  Like Jay he's emotional, relatively young and wants to prove himself.

One of the words Jay used in describing Barry was "loyal".  So am gathering Jay sees Barry as his guy.  No one else was giving Barry another shot at this position, but Jay just did so in a way Barry is heavily indebted to him.   Wade Phillips on the other hand has a reputation much larger than what Jay has, it wouldn't be the same thing.

Do I think Jay thinks Barry would be a good coordinator, sure.  Seems like Jay feels like he's looking in the mirror and he likes what he sees. And for his faults, Jay doesn't seem to have lack of belief in himself.  I don't like the hire but as I read about Barry there is one thing that strikes me about how he is described and that is he likes to teach and work with the young players -- I don't get the same sense about Jay who comes off as impatient, played veterans over younger players last season among other things.

But again, you are looking at it with hindsight. People weren't happy with the hire and after an 0-5 start we were ready to run Gibbs and his staff on the next rail out of DC. My point was that EVERY coach in the League hires guys they are comfortable with and believes in their philosophy. You can play the "Tampa" Kevin Bacon game with most staffs. This has been going on since the NFL was born. Hell, Lombardi brought McPeak with him to Washington.

Coaches even go as far as bringing not only coaches with them everywhere they land, but in other cases, they bring players with them also. Cronyism is how the NFL has worked for almost 100 years. Everybody acts like this is the first time this had happened.

Do I like the hire? I've been on record many times this week as saying I don't. But I'm not going to throw a fit over it. It's Jay's decision and if it fails, it's on him.

Archived