Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Report: Joe Barry to be named Redskins' defensive coordinator

HapHaszard

When all was said and done, what came out of Jay's mouth is probably what bothers me the most.  I dont mind making mistakes.  I just mind when people DONT try.  

"We only offered, really, to Joe. Vic was kind of more of a meeting and see what kind of availability he had. He didn’t really say he was available."

How do YOU NOT OFFER TO A GUY because he "Didnt really say he was available"????? What is this finding a partner for a 3rd grade science project or the freakin NFL?

Well, you don't extend an offer if you believe that he's just going to shop the offer.  They felt that Fangio was doing what so many others have done to Snyder over the years: playing him, and getting a lucrative offer, and then turning around and using that offer as leverage in negotiations with the team they actually want to work for.

Well, you don't extend an offer if you believe that he's just going to shop the offer. They felt that Fangio was doing what so many others have done to Snyder over the years: playing him, and getting a lucrative offer, and then turning around and using that offer as leverage in negotiations with the team they actually want to work for.

So what if he shops the offer? I, and presumably snyder, don't care what another team ends up paying him. It's not like snyder has to put a down payment to make an offer.

Okay, here's my bright side....he should really help Keenan and Kerrigan take their game to the next level. He's been successful in the past as a LB coach, although in his new role he won't be able to focus as much on that unit and wouldn't be able to teach as much he has previously. 

No one on this board knows either on of these guys or coached with them...fact. Fangio is not as good as he was hyped to be. Barry is not as bad as he is being portrayed. Let it play out and give him a chance. He will have a chip and something to prove, I'm fine with it.

So, "no one on this board knows either of these guys or coached with them...fact".  Then you proclaim to know how good Fangio is or Barry is?  But you are on this board...Or are you saying you are in another dimension?  I think its pretty unfair to say other people shouldnt talk because no one knows what they are talking about and then, well, talk.

Good post.  I think that the worst DC's are often hurt by a lack of talent and some of the best are helped by great talent.  Look at Labeau who is one of the grandfather's of the NFL's 3-4.  He helped Pittsburgh win two Super Bowls and was practically worshiped.  Now, Polamalu and crew are aging and all of a sudden Leabeau has lost it and must be let go.  Let Scot get some talent out there first before we judge.

Riddle me this all you posters who are so incensed that Jay couldn't land Fangio.  If Vic was so dang great how is it that he was passed over for his subordinate D-Line coach? Maybe he's not God's gift to coaching after all.  We'll see what he does at Chicago. 

Im assuming you meant a Dave Leabeau or something, because you REALLY couldnt have meant Dick LeBeau...No sane person I think would mean that, right?  Have you looked at his record?  Do you think that because he had a bad year, that somehow means that he was just helped by "talent" the previous 11 years coaching for the Steelers?  Have you SEEN his record?  He didnt have the same linebackers for 11 years.  Further, Lebeau was NOT let go.  He left.

Second, saying "If Vic was so dang great how is it that he was passed over for his subordinate D-line coach" is the equivalent of saying the Raiders are really smart and always make wise decisions because they are the NFL.  Since when is one persons opinion of a man right just because they are in the NFL?  Then Vinny Cerato was a good hire?  Jim Zorn must have been, because "If he wasnt so great, how come the Redskins made him their head coach!"

Let us not tear down other possibilities to promote the guy we did hire.  Berry has a lot to prove.  That being said, he has some experience and likely a chip on his shoulder to show that he can do a better job the second time around.  Our roster, as deficient as it is, is a big step up from what he had to work with in Detroit.  I have no clue if he will be a good DC, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

Great hire by the redskins, a young and energetic guy like barry is exactly what this team needs. Although he is not a household name, that's exactly the type of people this team needs. HTTR

Wasn't this the case when we hired GI Joe to coach the special teams? That didn't work out so well.

i personally dont like this hire; he really has no credentials other than being on tampas super bowl winning coaching staff. other than that its not impressive nor dor i feel confindent in him as a DC; hes had an opportunity and didnt do well at all! I hope i am proven wrong but right now i feel haslett was a better option; and that in itself is just sorry!!!!! again i hope im proven wrong and get the dang i was wrong about this guy....

Just going by profootballfocus, since I don't watch a lot of chargers football, butler has gotten worse every single season Barry was there. His best year was his first year before Barry was there. No linebacker draft picks have excelled under barry, despite the chargers drafting an astonishing 6 linebackers in the first 2 rounds over the past 5 years. So yeah... we're in for a ride and a new coaching staff in 2016.

I never thought it would feel so terrible to see the name Barry used frequently on this board. Guess it's something I'll just have to get use to since we'll either be heaping praise on the guy for turning our D around, or blasting his coaching abilities. Not gonna lie though...I liked it better when my name was synonomous with the likes of Barry Wilburn and Barry Cofield.

Great hire by the redskins, a young and energetic guy like barry is exactly what this team needs. Although he is not a household name, that's exactly the type of people this team needs. HTTR

I envy the people that can have and share opinions like this one.  It's the same envy I feel when I see my two year old gets exceedingly over something trivial, like chocolate milk or Dora the Explorer.  The limits my mind places on my heart are cruel and unyielding. 

Not a surprise, weak head coach surrounds himself with weak assistants.

At least Snyder won't have to pay an arm and a leg to the rest of the staff when he eventually fires Gruden next year.

Exactly my impression, as well. It's hard to imagine there is a less talented coaching staff from top to bottom anywhere in the NFL. Bill Callahan might not like what he just stepped into.

I see Ian Rapoport was right all along, well whaddayaknow! They hired Barry and had a couple of interviews with guys they had no intention of bringing in, just like they did with Gruden!

Great show Bruce! Great show!

*slow clap*

[glow][/glow]

This information about the Bolts defense gives me a glimmer of hope! I know this is not Barry's Bio, but good info on the defense he was a part of.

Pagano's Bio

The longest-tenured assistant on the Chargers’ coaching staff, 2014 will mark Pagano’s 13th season with the Chargers and his third as defensive coordinator.

Pagano’s defense turned in a number of stellar performances in 2013, highlighted by a team-record streak of 12 consecutive quarters without allowing an offensive touchdown early in the season.

The defense helped the Chargers reach the playoffs as the Bolts went 4-1 in the month of December. The unit again played a key role as the team won its first playoff game since the 2008 season. The area that showed the greatest improvement was in takeaways. In the playoffs alone, the Chargers had a season-high four takeaways against Cincinnati in the wild card playoffs and two more against Denver in the divisional round, adding to a ledger that saw the Bolts record 16 total takeaways in the last eight games of the year (playoffs included), more than double the team’s total in the first 11 games of the season.

There were several other key areas of improvement for the defense in the second half of the regular season. The Chargers didn’t allow a single team to record more than 400 yards of total offense. The defense got particularly stingy in December, surrendering only 315.8 yards per game, sixth-lowest in the NFL. The Bolts also got stingy on the scoreboard, giving up just 17.6 points per game in December, third-fewest in the NFL. And lastly, the Bolts got down to business by buckling down on third downs, giving up just 37.5 percent of opponent third-down conversions in December. It included a 3-of-8 performance against the New York Giants, a 2-of-9 performance at Denver, a 4-of-13 effort against Oakland and a 6-of-14 showing in the season finale against Kansas City. That trend continued into the playoffs too as the Bolts held the Bengals to just 10 points and 3-of-12 on third downs in their wild card game.

Third downs have been a big emphasis for Pagano since becoming defensive coordinator. In 2011, the season prior to his taking over, the Chargers allowed a 49.2 percent conversion rate, last in the NFL for the season and the highest percentage in the league since 1995. Under Pagano, the Chargers’ defense improved to 42.1 pct. in 2012 and 38.9 pct. last season. 

Pagano made an immediate impression in his first season as defensive coordinator in 2012 when the Chargers ranked ninth in total defense and sixth in run defense. The Chargers recorded 38 total sacks in Pagano’s first season coordinating the defense, including a team-record-tying 11-sack performance in a Dec. 23 win against the New York Jets. The Bolts scored seven defensive touchdowns in 2012, second in the NFL to Chicago’s 12, and two shy of the team record of nine set by the 1961 squad. The 2012 Chargers returned five interceptions and two fumbles for scores.

Pagano originally joined the Chargers in 2002 as the team’s quality control coach for the defense and he moved his way up the ranks. He began as an assistant linebackers coach before moving to outside linebackers and then ultimately linebackers coach by himself before moving into the coordinator’s role in 2012. In 2010, the Chargers had the NFL’s No. 1 ranked defense and the squad was second in the league in sacks. And from 2005-11 when Pagano worked with the team’s linebackers, a player from that group led the team in tackles and sacks every season. One of Pagano’s star pupils was three-time Pro Bowl outside linebacker Shawne Merriman, the NFL’s Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2005 and the NFL’s leader in sacks in 2006.

OH ****ING BULL **** IF FANGIO IS BRINGING ROBERT ROYAL WITH HIM THEN JAY CAN JUST FLOAT A BOAT UP BRUCE'S CANAL AND FROM NOW ON I WILL JUST GFORK SNORKKLE FLUMPFUFFER ARRRRGHHHHHHHHH!

I mean it's been a while since my middle school health class, but I don't think that boys have canals . . .

I've heard all about how his Lions stunk. But can anyone tell me, either via stats or anecdote, how did the Chargers' linebackers do under him?

Just going by profootballfocus, since I don't watch a lot of chargers football, butler has gotten worse every single season Barry was there. His best year was his first year before Barry was there. No linebacker draft picks have excelled under barry, despite the chargers drafting an astonishing 6 linebackers in the first 2 rounds over the past 5 years. So yeah... we're in for a ride and a new coaching staff in 2016.

I've heard all about how his Lions stunk. But can anyone tell me, either via stats or anecdote, how did the Chargers' linebackers do under him?

Briefly went over to the Chargers MB, and there were comments about how Barry didn't develop any of the LBs, they had tackling problems, etc...most were dumbfounded how he was promoted to a DC. 

all in all...

"with the first pick in the 2016 NFL draft, The Washington Redskins select ______________________, (position), from ________________"

Briefly went over to the Chargers MB, and there were comments about how Barry didn't develop any of the LBs, they had tackling problems, etc...most were dumbfounded how he was promoted to a DC.

all in all...

"with the first pick in the 2016 NFL draft, The Washington Redskins select ______________________, (position), from ________________"

I believe we have a pretty good shot at hearing that last line.

Archived