Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Report: Joe Barry to be named Redskins' defensive coordinator

HapHaszard

Did I say I was qualified to coach a NFL defense? Would I need to be capable of coaching one in to have an opinion on someone else who's clearly failed in that position? If he was so good at what he does, why did no one tap this guy as their new DC for the past 6 years? Did Belicheck ever coach a team as bad as that Lions unit? Belicheck failed in Cleveland as a HC, not a DC, in THAT capacity he was excellent. And you don't know **** about me, so to claim the average position coach knows a thousand times more than I do about anything in football is ignorant. Stop projecting your lack of knowledge on me, if you are willing to give Barry the benefit of the doubt than that's you. By all means, I'm not criticizing you for it. We all gotta have some hope. But get the **** outta here with this "no one on here knows anything" BS, you don't know enough about the people who post here to dismiss people like that.

Wade Phillips and Jim Schwartz are proven DC's but no one is banging on their doors for whatever reason.  Give the guy a chance before you all kill him.

Here's one thing I really like about Scot McCloughan, Jay Gruden, Barry, and Kotwica.  They're all in their early 40's.  Old enough to have learned some tough lessons but yet still young and energetic enough to put in the insane amount of hours it takes for a team to be good.

Hey Jay... Where are you in all of this?

Is Barry your guy? Is Fagio? Who is your Boss here? Allen, McG? Where is the man that had the balls to stand up to the disfunction? I miss your strength and honesty already. I may not like your choices as coaches because I am not sure who they are. I do know that it seems as if the CIRCUS has started again and someone has to say enough is enough.If Rg3 situation was bad this is worse. Please find your voice. I am a diehard fan of almost fifty years growing ashamed of the zoo. I wish you well....

I think Gruden is going out with guns blazing. He knows he's gone after a year, and he knows he's been stripped of his authority.

After the last regular season game, Gruden was asked whether he wanted to keep Haslett. He said that if it was up to him, yes, he would keep Haslett.

Haslett was then fired. So, it's clear that it wasn't "up" to Gruden. Allen overrode him.

Gruden realizes his days are numbered, so what does he do? He figures, "what the heck, I'll bring in a friend who I at least know and am familiar with, even if he has a bad track record." So he chooses Barry. There's fan backlash and everyone scratches their heads, and then Fangio becomes available. Allen swoops back in and informs Gruden that they're overruling him, and are trying for Fangio.

Fangio visits, sniffs out what's going on, and decides he doesn't want to play for a head coach whose days are numbered. Why not go to Chicago, even though it's less money and a 4-3, where he at least has stability? If Gruden is gone after 2015, then the new head coach may well bring in new coordinators. Which could leave Fangio making ANOTHER move, which I'm sure he didn't want to do.

So, the front office, running low on time and options, hires Barry. It just sets us up nicely for the big purge next offseason. Barry may not know anything about exotic schemes and building a top-tier defense, but he might be a good stopgap, who can just focus on fundamentals and basic defense. As DeSean said, "you can't be elite with basic people," but we can take care of that next offseason.

We're on a long, long road to recovery and I'll take that over quick fixes any day. Just my 2 cents.

big long way to say Bruce Allen sucks!

Chris Russell retweeted

Gruden said an official offer was never extended to Fangio. Said they felt like his mind was already made up on Chicago.

SO YOU DON'T EVEN BOTHER WITH AN OFFER IN HOPES OF SWAYING HIM???????

It wasn't Fangio that already had settled on Chicago, it was Gruden that had already settled on Barry.  I have no doubt about that now!  Gruden really has to go, he's no better than Zorn.

Nope. Born in 77 been watching since 82-83. can remember the 87 team pretty good. I just think a guy like bruce allen knows more about football than you or I. I Believe Bruce allen has been able to handle Snyder very well. I see A guy taking a step back to better his team.

Allen took a step back because our record under his leadership sucks beyond belief. Get past 2012 and what has Allen assembled??? Garbage

Having the unnatural ability to do what is bolded above and knowing how to run a football organization are two very different things. 

I believe you are wrong. But that could be from my extreme homerism. I want this team to be great. I Believe in this front office. Lets be honest with ourselves this FO is much improved over Last years with having A true GM in place. Bruce is perfect in his role. Negotiate contracts and making sure the pancake socials go over smashingly. I believe he is also cutting the grass at redskin park every tuesday also. Because this man will do everything it takes to make this redskin team better.  

Wade Phillips and Jim Schwartz are proven DC's but no one is banging on their doors for whatever reason.  Give the guy a chance before you all kill him.

Here's one thing I really like about Scot McCloughan, Jay Gruden, Barry, and Kotwica.  They're all in their early 40's.  Old enough to have learned some tough lessons but yet still young and energetic enough to put in the insane amount of hours it takes for a team to be good.

I agree.  His Detroit days are long in the past and he sounds like a solid guy.  Should he be our DC who knows, but that needs to be determined on the field not this message board. 

What a surprise. Someone with ties to Bruce Allen hired again. God forbid the process ever plays out and we hire someone who either a) has a history of success or B) is someone who has earned their chance and doesn't already have close ties to the organization .

This is seriously bull****

Hey Jay... Where are you in all of this?

Is Barry your guy? Is Fagio? Who is your Boss here? Allen, McG? Where is the man that had the balls to stand up to the disfunction? I miss your strength and honesty already. I may not like your choices as coaches because I am not sure who they are. I do know that it seems as if the CIRCUS has started again and someone has to say enough is enough.If Rg3 situation was bad this is worse. Please find your voice. I am a diehard fan of almost fifty years growing ashamed of the zoo. I wish you well....

Barry was 100% Jay's guy. He made this choice. Where's the confusion?

Wade Phillips and Jim Schwartz are proven DC's but no one is banging on their doors for whatever reason. Give the guy a chance before you all kill him.

Here's one thing I really like about Scot McCloughan, Jay Gruden, Barry, and Kotwica. They're all in their early 40's. Old enough to have learned some tough lessons but yet still young and energetic enough to put in the insane amount of hours it takes for a team to be good.

For the record I have never been critical of the Scot hire. I believe his hire is the best decision this franchise has made in a decade. Maybe Barry will do better this time, I'll gladly eat crow if he does. But for someone to go to the lame "you don't know anything" argument to defend a guy with THAT resume? Come on. There are no examples of other coaches who've been that bad and turned it around in their second chance.

Allen took a step back because our record under his leadership sucks beyond belief. Get past 2012 and what has Allen assembled??? Garbage

Thats what I am saying. The man realised his weakness and addressed it. Hired a personnel guy. Allen did not assemble last years personnel in one off season. The team that was on the field last year was Shanahan's guys.And I like the breeland pickup in last years draft that was pretty good. Which was probably scott campbells doing. We went from selection by committee to a real gm. Bruce is not to blame for anything but the hiring of Gruden. Which I believe will pay off if you give him time.I think its pretty obvious last year was a transition into a new coaching philosophy.

the key line from the above article being.................Again, it's irrelevant if you don't improve the talent.

And that's why Haslett is said to have been willing to walk away without being fired.   He's the chief leaker, so he had been leaking that he didn't like the disparity in dollars or priority spent on the defense compared to the offense and in that meeting may have asked for a clear commitment to priority on the defensive side in free agency and the draft.   Absent that, he suggested he couldn't really do much to fix it so they agreed to part ways.

Now, the ludicrous part of that is he could have "fixed" it by simply not allowing guys to chip off 50 any time they wished.   Had he played a FULL ON conservative shell defense that would allow teams 15 play drives (death by drip does suck so I'd have been very displeased) instead of instant death, we'd have actually been more competitive.   

But, Haz never was one to adjust over much.

What a surprise. Someone with ties to Bruce Allen hired again. God forbid the process ever plays out and we hire someone who either a) has a history of success or B) is someone who has earned their chance and doesn't already have close ties to the organization .

This is seriously bull****

This is really the primary problem that most fans should have with this hire in my opinion. Joe Barry seems like a good guy, may be a fine football coach, may have grown since his absolute debacle in Detroit, and most likely deserves to be given a chance now that he has been hired.

However, why in the world can this organization not follow the process of making hires based on merit and a proven track record of success? Every hire doesn't have to be a buddy who Bruce knows, who Jay knows, who Raheem knows, who McVay knows etc... The best hires this organization has made in years were likely this offseason in bringing in outside guys with proven track records, in McLoughan and Callahan (yes, Scot had known Bruce from a young age, but that was the only tie, and he had a long pedigree and bloodline of success as a personnel guy with winning organizations). Those are the types of guys you look for, not unproven reclamation projects that they trust are going to suddenly have a breakthrough. So, why can't they stick with that model?

To fallback from Fangio all the way to Barry simply because he's Jay's pal is no way to conduct a search. It's this type of nepotism that brought us Jay in the first place, that retained Haslett, that hired and retained Raheem, that promoted McVay to asst OC, and that assured us that it was fine for a first time HC to be a play caller and have no QB coach on a team with 2 young QBs learning a new system. How did all of that work out for us in 2014? And now we're asked to trust these same guys once again that the best DC candidate for the job just happens to be a long time buddy of them all. Nevermind his first DC stint, nevermind he's been a position coach since, nevermind he's spent more time around the 4-3 than 3-4, aside from SD. He's the best guy for the job.

Good luck to Joe Barry and the Skins, but I haven't seen this type of move workout for them yet.

And that's why Haslett is said to have been willing to walk away without being fired.   He's the chief leaker, so he had been leaking that he didn't like the disparity in dollars or priority spent on the defense compared to the offense and in that meeting may have asked for a clear commitment to priority on the defensive side in free agency and the draft.   Absent that, he suggested he couldn't really do much to fix it so they agreed to part ways.

and yet Orakpo,Hatcher,Cofield and Bowen were chewing up stacks of our 2014 cap, whilst 3 of our last 4 'first' draft picks were on defense. We obviously need to clear the decks and reset on defense again, but I think Haslett got his fair share of the pie to be honest didn't he.

So, the front office, running low on time and options, hires Barry.  It just sets us up nicely for the big purge next offseason.  Barry may not know anything about exotic schemes and building a top-tier defense, but he might be a good stopgap, who can just focus on fundamentals and basic defense.  As DeSean said, "you can't be elite with basic people," but we can take care of that next offseason.

We're on a long, long road to recovery and I'll take that over quick fixes any day.  Just my 2 cents.

You make a ton of assumptions. How you can make this whole story up based on the information you actually have is impressive.

Nope. Born in 77 been watching since 82-83. can remember the 87 team pretty good. I just think a guy like bruce allen knows more about football than you or I. I Believe Bruce allen has been able to handle Snyder very well. I see A guy taking a step back to better his team.

Fair enough.

I just think those you believe have less knowledge than Allen would have a fairly compelling counter argument by simply pointing to the product on the field, even including the '12 season. I've been on this board for 11 years now and read a lot. I don't think this board could build a consistent winner but I like their chances vs the current brain trust running the skins.

This of course excludes Scotty mc since he's new but we'll see.

Archived