Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Report: Joe Barry to be named Redskins' defensive coordinator

HapHaszard

I find it funny that most of the posters on here think they no more about football than Bruce Allen.

I find it funny that anyone whose watched this team for the last 23 years thinks anyone running this team knows any more than some guy off the street or on this board.

Of course maybe you only started watching in '12 which would explain that stance.

I'm not claiming "all reports" and I'm not about to search twitter for a link. But in fairness I also heard Russell make this claim and he was 100% unequivocal about it. I don't recall hearing the magic words "Wade told me". But FWIW he sounded absolutely certain about this.

Like the Callahan hire but this is a real head scratcher. You have schwartz, and Fangio avaiable and you choose  some one  with little to NO  experience as DC wondering if we should have hired Cauldwell, i ve liked Jay but  this isn't   good.   Hope i'm wrong really do been too long for this insanity called the Redskin way. Finally we get a proven talent guy and a oline coach  that can coach and just when i think  thank GOD the light has finally turned on and boooyyyiiinnng.  Why has there always have to be a bonner in the bag? Why can't we just act like we have a clue ? Well like i said hope i'm wrong, i would be pleased to be wrong about the DC hire. HTTR.  They have always been and will always be my team The Wahington Redskins.  I just wish they would act like they  feel the same about me and the rest of us fans.

I'm not claiming "all reports" and I'm not about to search twitter for a link. But in fairness I also heard Russell make this claim and he was 100% unequivocal about it. I don't recall hearing the magic words "Wade told me". But FWIW he sounded absolutely certain about this.

Um, none of that is added information or unknown to anyone in this thread, I'd assume. I'm pretty confident I know what your (misplaced) "point" is and why you're inserting yourself, just as I'm confident you don't grasp what MY point is in that quote, or that it's attached to a long ongoing matter under review all across the board. But your efforts are noted.

"insiders" have said that if it's barry, raheem gets promoted as in Asst/DC, and keeps his role w/Dbs, too--whatever stock you give that....not exactly a shocking or unexpected event if it goes that way...there was a lot of jabber here about raheem being next DC last season... 

And a lot of jabber about Fangio being our next DC about 15 hours ago.  Really losing faith in the insiders.

I think Gruden is going out with guns blazing.  He knows he's gone after a year, and he knows he's been stripped of his authority.  

After the last regular season game, Gruden was asked whether he wanted to keep Haslett.  He said that if it was up to him, yes, he would keep Haslett.

Haslett was then fired.  So, it's clear that it wasn't "up" to Gruden.  Allen overrode him.

Gruden realizes his days are numbered, so what does he do?  He figures, "what the heck, I'll bring in a friend who I at least know and am familiar with, even if he has a bad track record."  So he chooses Barry.  There's fan backlash and everyone scratches their heads, and then Fangio becomes available.  Allen swoops back in and informs Gruden that they're overruling him, and are trying for Fangio.  

Fangio visits, sniffs out what's going on, and decides he doesn't want to play for a head coach whose days are numbered.  Why not go to Chicago, even though it's less money and a 4-3, where he at least has stability?  If Gruden is gone after 2015, then the new head coach may well bring in new coordinators.  Which could leave Fangio making ANOTHER move, which I'm sure he didn't want to do.

So, the front office, running low on time and options, hires Barry.  It just sets us up nicely for the big purge next offseason.  Barry may not know anything about exotic schemes and building a top-tier defense, but he might be a good stopgap, who can just focus on fundamentals and basic defense.  As DeSean said, "you can't be elite with basic people," but we can take care of that next offseason.

We're on a long, long road to recovery and I'll take that over quick fixes any day.  Just my 2 cents.

I agree, I've always said a HC should be picking his own coordinators and assistant coaches. But the hire itself is so baffling, I can't blame the FO for asking him to consider some other candidates before he chooses a proven loser. 

Belicheck was a proven loser before New England.

You people need to get your ego's in check and realize you don't know squat. The average position coach in the NFL knows a thousand times more than you. Like it or not, the only way this team is going to get any better is if we all stop freaking out and support a long term plan. We are going to have a good draft and free agency. With a lot of new talent coming on board, and RG3 (hopefully) improving we are going to be better. But it's not like DC is the missing link that gets us to the Super Bowl. If Barry doesn't work out we can move on later.

You people need to get your ego's in check and realize you don't know squat. The average position coach in the NFL knows a thousand times more than you. Like it or not, the only way this team is going to get any better is if we all stop freaking out and support a long term plan. We are going to have a good draft and free agency. With a lot of new talent coming on board, and RG3 (hopefully) improving we are going to be better. But it's not like DC is the missing link that gets us to the Super Bowl. If Barry doesn't work out we can move on later.

I kinda agree.

What's missing here is the story. The Redskins haven't told us why they like Barry and chose him. It may make a difference. It may not. The only things we know about him are Detroit and his relationship with Gruden/Allen. They ought to make their case and explain their reasoning.

I think Gruden is going out with guns blazing. He knows he's gone

We're on a long, long road to recovery and I'll take that over quick fixes any day. Just my 2 cents.

But from Skins vantage point, why not fire him if you're just wasting a year. Are they waiting for a better coach candidate next year? We could have had Bowles. Why simply waste a year if Gruden is gone? This seems counterproductive to me.

Guys we have been set up.

This thread should have been closed a long time ago...because it was a rumor not a fact.

Newflash, it was never a rumor We hired this Joe Barry dude weeks ago. Then we went in full rage mode. They set up this fake interview with Vic F. to calm us down.

Thats the only reason why this thread never was closed because Redskins.com knew he was hired.

This is incredibly stupid, wilco.

Why doesn't anyone understand that a Head Coach hiring a Defensive Coordinator is the correct order of hiring in a legitimate football organization? 

Because they have hated on Dan Snyder so much they have become him!  Dan, who couldn't understand why after they had hired Zorn as the OC before a head coach no legitimate coach would come on board.  Every coach at every level of football (including Pop Warner) should get to choose who he wants to go to war with.  If he chooses wrong then he can blame no one but himself.

Guys we have been set up.

This thread should have been closed a long time ago...because it was a rumor not a fact. 

Newflash, it was never a rumor We hired this Joe Barry dude weeks ago. Then we went in full rage mode. They set up this fake interview with Vic F. to calm us down. 

Thats the only reason why this thread never was closed because Redskins.com knew he was hired. 

tinfoil.jpg

Wilco?  Is that you?! :P

At a certain point, you just have to let things go and see how they play out.  Obviously, NONE of us were in the interview.  Maybe they saw something in Barry that they liked -  perhaps he has learned from his past mistakes (it's been known to happen before!) and wants another shot at it.  If anything, he did a great job with the SD LBs, so we might just want to hold our fire for now.

Did I say I was qualified to coach a NFL defense? Would I need to be capable of coaching one in to have an opinion on someone else who's clearly failed in that position? If he was so good at what he does, why did no one tap this guy as their new DC for the past 6 years? Did Belicheck ever coach a team as bad as that Lions unit? Belicheck failed in Cleveland as a HC, not a DC, in THAT capacity he was excellent. And you don't know **** about me, so to claim the average position coach knows a thousand times more than I do about anything in football is ignorant. Stop projecting your lack of knowledge on me, if you are willing to give Barry the benefit of the doubt than that's you. By all means, I'm not criticizing you for it. We all gotta have some hope. But get the **** outta here with this "no one on here knows anything" BS, you don't know enough about the people who post here to dismiss people like that.

I find it funny that anyone whose watched this team for the last 23 years thinks anyone running this team knows any more than some guy off the street or on this board.

Of course maybe you only started watching in '12 which would explain that stance.

Nope. Born in 77 been watching since 82-83. can remember the 87 team pretty good. I just think a guy like bruce allen knows more about football than you or I. I Believe Bruce allen has been able to handle Snyder very well. I see A guy taking a step back to better his team. 

Nope. Born in 77 been watching since 82-83. can remember the 87 team pretty good. I just think a guy like bruce allen knows more about football than you or I. I Believe Bruce allen has been able to handle Snyder very well. I see A guy taking a step back to better his team. 

Having the unnatural ability to do what is bolded above and knowing how to run a football organization are two very different things. 

Archived