Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Report: Joe Barry to be named Redskins' defensive coordinator

HapHaszard

I have no idea how good or bad Barry will do. I would have preferred Fangio but outside of him and looking at who's left now I don't see how hiring Barry is the catastrophic mistake that some of the chicken littles here make it out to be.

Jay doesn't have to tell us a damn thing. He doesn't have to explain himself and who gives a crap what he would say? Would that honestly make anyone feel good? Talk is cheap. I want to see steady improvement week to week. Based on the talent level and the amount of rebuilding that needs to take place I wouldn't even put a stat guideline on performance. Don't bother me with rankings just play hard, don't repeat the same mistakes, and show that progress is being made. If the team regresses? Then fire them. It really is that simple for me.

RELAX people!

Solid post.

Agreed, 100%.

I've now completed my cathartic WTF cleanse cycle. Barry is the DC of the Washington Redskins. My Washington Redskins. I will try to support him and start off with a clean slate. At least until he become Hazlett 2.0. I don't think either of us want that.

I was actually thinking about this.  Barry, to me, feels and seems like a natural extension of Jim Haslett; essentially the version of Haslett we wanted in 2014.

Going into last year, we heard we were going to be more aggressive, 1-gap, etc.  Haslett then went back to his usual, 2-gap, read and react defense.

This year, with a new DC, we're hearing the same things about being aggressive and shifting to what will likely be a 1-gap.

I hope it actually happens.  It might actually help to improve our defense.

The fact that McCloughan said it was 100% Jay's decision, as it should be?

As it should be... Yes. Unless we have another master at ALLENSPEAK. But is there any reference anywhere to Barry actually being Jay"s choice.... ? Anyway, guys, thanks for making me laugh at the utter "simplicity" of our favorite team. Can I keep you all and get rid of Allen and company?

Appears to be a coach ready for that next step.  I'm going to wait and see how he pans out since I can't predict the future like some on ES.  Meanwhile, this from the Chargers site...

http://www.chargers.com/team/coaches/joe-barry/c0b5a89b-2044-4783-80d5-c98a75b73fba

Bio

Barry turned in one of his most masterful coaching performances in 2013, working with a unit that was besieged by injuries throughout the season. Starting inside linebackers Donald Butler and rookie second-round draft pick Manti Te’o both missed time due to injury, but finished the year second and third on the team in tackles with 99 and 93, respectively. Projected starting outside linebacker Melvin Ingram spent most of the year on the “Physically Unable to Perform” list due to an offseason knee injury and fellow starting outside linebacker Jarret Johnson missed five games with a host of ailments. As a result of all the injuries, only twice in 2013 did the Chargers start the same four linebackers in consecutive weeks. Still, linebackers were responsible for 16 of the team’s 35 sacks, including 4.5 by Thomas Keiser, a practice squad player at the start of the season who went on to lead the linebackers in sacks and quarterback hits (10). Another valuable performer was Reggie Walker, a special teams player for most of his career who started six games at both inside and outside linebacker and registered the first three sacks of his NFL career and ranked third among the linebackers with 49 tackles.                

As it should be... Yes. Unless we have another master at ALLENSPEAK. But is there any reference anywhere to Barry actually being Jay"s choice.... ? Anyway, guys, thanks for making me laugh at the utter "simplicity" of our favorite team. Can I keep you all and get rid of Allen and company?

I mean, it's impossible to prove beyond the burden of proof that conspiracy imposes upon the hire that Barry was Jay's choice, but based upon Gruden's comments here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2015/01/20/jay-gruden-explains-why-he-feels-joe-barry-is-the-best-fit-for-redskins/, he seems to be familiar with Barry and can articulate what he likes.  Coaches not in the loop on the decision making generally can't or won't do that.

Appears to be a coach ready for that next step.  I'm going to wait and see how he pans out since I can't predict the future like some on ES.  Meanwhile, this from the Chargers site...

http://www.chargers.com/team/coaches/joe-barry/c0b5a89b-2044-4783-80d5-c98a75b73fba

Bio

Barry turned in one of his most masterful coaching performances in 2013, working with a unit that was besieged by injuries throughout the season. Starting inside linebackers Donald Butler and rookie second-round draft pick Manti Te’o both missed time due to injury, but finished the year second and third on the team in tackles with 99 and 93, respectively. Projected starting outside linebacker Melvin Ingram spent most of the year on the “Physically Unable to Perform” list due to an offseason knee injury and fellow starting outside linebacker Jarret Johnson missed five games with a host of ailments. As a result of all the injuries, only twice in 2013 did the Chargers start the same four linebackers in consecutive weeks. Still, linebackers were responsible for 16 of the team’s 35 sacks, including 4.5 by Thomas Keiser, a practice squad player at the start of the season who went on to lead the linebackers in sacks and quarterback hits (10). Another valuable performer was Reggie Walker, a special teams player for most of his career who started six games at both inside and outside linebacker and registered the first three sacks of his NFL career and ranked third among the linebackers with 49 tackles.                

Would 't that normally be the scheming of the DC rather than a position coach.? So we think Barry is better than KO or Baker? This is better than Haslett and Morris? Color me skeptical.

When all was said and done, what came out of Jay's mouth is probably what bothers me the most.  I dont mind making mistakes.  I just mind when people DONT try.  

"We only offered, really, to Joe. Vic was kind of more of a meeting and see what kind of availability he had. He didn’t really say he was available."

How do YOU NOT OFFER TO A GUY because he "Didnt really say he was available"????? What is this finding a partner for a 3rd grade science project or the freakin NFL?

I don't even know where to start with that quote. The man looking for a job who you are interviewing to fill a position on your staff, and you can't tell if he's available? No ****in wonder why he didn't wanna come here. "I gotta work for that bozo? No thanks."

I'm sure Jay will learn soon enough about "availability".

I mean, it's impossible to prove beyond the burden of proof that conspiracy imposes upon the hire that Barry was Jay's choice, but based upon Gruden's comments here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2015/01/20/jay-gruden-explains-why-he-feels-joe-barry-is-the-best-fit-for-redskins/, he seems to be familiar with Barry and can articulate what he likes.  Coaches not in the loop on the decision making generally can't or won't do that.

I can see that. Thanks Dog for the link as well.

WE have Been Bruce Allened again...Told YOU!!!!!!!!!!

KIND FUNNY SOON AS VIC IS ANNOUCED AS BEARS HEAD COACH...THEN BOOM BARRY IS NAMED THE COACH ..STINKS OF ALLEN LIKE A DEAD SKUNK.

Yep, you sure told us with several exclamation points.

And all-caps spelling errors.

And factual errors, as Fangio isn't a head coach and Barry would be considered the coordinator.

Other than the above, nice post.

I don't even know where to start with that quote. The man looking for a job who you are interviewing to fill a position on your staff, and you can't tell if he's available? No ****in wonder why he didn't wanna come here. "I gotta work for that bozo? No thanks."

I'm sure Jay will learn soon enough about "availability".

Maybe people need to post the ENTIRE quote:

“We talked to Vic and we knew he had a lot of offers on the table,” Gruden said. “We just wanted to get him in and see what he was all about so he could see our situation, and he chose to go to Chicago. As far as the offer is concerned, we knew it was kind of a long shot him coming anyway. But we just wanted, because obviously he’s a great candidate and great football coach, it would’ve been stupid for us not to reach out and try to get him. But he chose Chicago, and good for him.”

Gruden further elaborated: “We only offered, really, to Joe. Vic was kind of more of a meeting and see what kind of availability he had. He didn’t really say he was available. I think he had the decision made up in his mind. I thought it was important to get him down to D.C. and check it out see if there was a chance we would want him or if he would come here and it didn’t work out.”

To me, it looks like both sides were looking to get blown away and they weren't.  Personally, I'd rather have someone here who wants to be here, rather than someone who is here because they got paid.  We've had too much of the latter lately.  Doesn't guarantee that Barry is the better choice, but I'm willing to go with anyone the coach is willing to go with.

Forget what happened in Detroit, it is very difficult to access responsibility for that level of suck but I tend to place the majority of blame on the GM Matt Millen. They seem to think highly of him in SD, he has the reputation of being high energy, very direct, and very good developing young players. That seems to be exactly what we need.

Welcome Joe Barry, you have our support to help float our sinking boat. I understand we are not ripe with talent, but we have a foundation. Make the most of what we have and put them in a position to succeed.

Please be flexible and smart and don't be afraid to make in game adjustments.

Be brutally honest to the players, they need to hear it.

We understand we didn't get this way over night and we don't expect miracles, but we need to see notable improvement. Show us we are moving in the right direction.

Welcome to the Redskins.

I guess its Barry's resume that has me so disappointed with this hire.  I know the Lions were a historically crappy team but 2 seasons as the worst defense? You'd think a good coordinator can make a horrible defense at least 2nd to last!  And the Lions turned it around pretty quickly after he left too.  Obviously I will back him up but this isn't a hire that sounds good based on what we know.  Hopefully he will make a name for himself here.  Also hoping the fact that Fangio turned us down so we went with Barry, lights a fire under his and the defense's ass.

Forget what happened in Detroit, it is very difficult to access responsibility for that level of suck but I tend to place the majority of blame on the GM Matt Millen. They seem to think highly of him in SD, he has the reputation of being high energy, very direct, and very good developing young players. That seems to be exactly what we need.

Welcome Joe Barry, you have our support to help float our sinking boat. I understand we are not ripe with talent, but we have a foundation. Make the most of what we have and put them in a position to succeed.

We understand we didn't get this way over night and we don't expect miracles, but we need to see notable improvement. Show us we are moving in the right direction.

Welcome to the Redskins.

Hear. Hear .And on that note many of us can agree and start scouting....again. I'm climbing down from the bridge now..

Welcome to the Redskins.

Good post.  I think that the worst DC's are often hurt by a lack of talent and some of the best are helped by great talent.  Look at Labeau who is one of the grandfather's of the NFL's 3-4.  He helped Pittsburgh win two Super Bowls and was practically worshiped.  Now, Polamalu and crew are aging and all of a sudden Leabeau has lost it and must be let go.  Let Scot get some talent out there first before we judge.

Riddle me this all you posters who are so incensed that Jay couldn't land Fangio.  If Vic was so dang great how is it that he was passed over for his subordinate D-Line coach? Maybe he's not God's gift to coaching after all.  We'll see what he does at Chicago. 

OH ****ING BULL **** IF FANGIO IS BRINGING ROBERT ROYAL WITH HIM THEN JAY CAN JUST FLOAT A BOAT UP BRUCE'S CANAL AND FROM NOW ON I WILL JUST GFORK SNORKKLE FLUMPFUFFER ARRRRGHHHHHHHHH!

I mean doesn't this hire stink to you? Doesn't this point to Jay being gone sooner rather than later? I don't see how we can be excited about this. All we can hope for is that McCloughan puts some solid people in place after he purges the staff in a year or two.

Archived