Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Report: Joe Barry to be named Redskins' defensive coordinator

HapHaszard

why would they pay top dollar for a defensive coordinator if this is Jay's last year?

I can't see any defensive coordinator worth his weight in gold willing to take a one-year gig.

if we don't score more points my bed is J is gone *that's bet -darn tablet won't let me backspace)

Also-- shouldn't a truly good/great coach make lemonade out of lemons?

"Spagnuolo is remembered fondly for his time with the Giants, but also coached some excellent players that fit his aggressive scheme well, like Michael Strahan, Osi Umeniyora, and Justin Tuck. 2007 was a long time ago, and the Giants personnel has completely changed since he left, with only one defensive player, defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka (a potential cap casualty this offseason) the only remaining member of that Super Bowl team. Spagnuolo was a failure as a head coach in St. Louis, with his Rams' defenses never ranking higher than 19th in the league. Was a disaster as a coordinator for New Orleans in 2012where he ran the worst defense in the NFL and was let go after the season."

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/01/who_is_the_right_man_for_the_giants_defensive_coor.html

Spagnuolo was, at one time, a genius who won the SB for the Giants against undefeated New England. Then he was a hot HC candidate (who said no to us), went on to coach the Rams (had a poor record), then the Saints as DC (and got fired for having an abysmal defense). Now he's the Giants DC again.

Why am I posting this?

Because DCs *are* at the mercy of their players, and the environment.

No, you can't make lemonade out of lemons in the NFL. The league is too competitive at every level. Dick Lebeau didn't do it, Monte Kiffin didn't do it, Bill Belichick (as DC) didn't do it - they all had players. And Spagnuolo couldn't do it with the Saints, after running the Giants D to a SB win (that was the season Payton was suspended, and the team was derailed). 

Joe Barry had *nothing* in Detroit. So don't judge him just yet. Wait until he actually sucks before proceeding with the stoning. 

Because DCs *are* at the mercy of their players, and the environment.

No, you can't make lemonade out of lemons in the NFL. The league is too competitive at every level. Dick Lebeau didn't do it, Monte Kiffin didn't do it, Bill Belichick (as DC) didn't do it - they all had players. And Spagnuolo couldn't do it with the Saints, after running the Giants D to a SB win (that was the season Payton was suspended, and the team was derailed).

Joe Barry had *nothing* in Detroit. So don't judge him just yet. Wait until he actually sucks before proceeding with the stoning.

So you're saying Joe should have held out for an nfc west gig?

Why is it that whenever a tough question gets asked it APPEARS as if everyone turns their heads to Bruce( go back to the pressors and watch). If Jay fails does Teflon Allen? What about SM?And those of you who think that a poor hire for DC or a lousy record next year means a total housecleaning -and that things will THEN start to improve? Do we get excited about waiting another year to start the rebuild?I genuinely thought we were going in the right direction but it seems as if next year there will just be more excuses- too many injuries, too many fingers in the pie, not enough talent. Sound familiar, anyone?

Barry was 100% Jay's guy. He made this choice. Where's the confusion?

Here it is lol:

-Barry was Gruden's choice

-Barry was Allen's choice, not Gruden's

-Barry wasn't anyone's choice because he wasn't offered the job

-Fan backlash caused Allen and Snyder to rescind their job offer to Barry, even though he was never offered a job

-Fangio was Gruden putting his foot down and convincing Allen not to "just go with Tampa guys", and we were "going to love Gruden" for it

-Fangio was Allen putting HIS foot down and insisting Gruden interview Fangio and not just go with Barry

-Fangio wanted the job but was never offered it

-Fangio never really wanted the job which is why it was never offered to him

-Barry is the new DC now, even though fan backlash hasn't dwindled

-Barry hasn't been offered the job yet

I think I got all the fan and insider scenarios lol...

Fair enough.

I just think those you believe have less knowledge than Allen would have a fairly compelling counter argument by simply pointing to the product on the field, even including the '12 season.

If that's all anyone has to prove they'd be better at Allen's job than he has been, I'm voting in favor of Allen lol...

If that's all anyone has to prove they'd be better at Allen's job than he has been, I'm voting in favor of Allen lol...

Pick your poison with this team, lol. Stand by an inept f.o, inept coaching, inept players, or support more upheaval killing any continuity.

Who looks bad because of whom on this team? Coaches look bad due to lack of talent, players look bad because of poor coaching, the f.o looks bad cause neither are what they should be.

For those who love to argue this team is a god-send.

Here it is lol:

-Barry was Gruden's choice

-Barry was Allen's choice, not Gruden's

-Barry wasn't anyone's choice because he wasn't offered the job

-Fan backlash caused Allen and Snyder to rescind their job offer to Barry, even though he was never offered a job

-Fangio was Gruden putting his foot down and convincing Allen not to "just go with Tampa guys", and we were "going to love Gruden" for it

-Fangio was Allen putting HIS foot down and insisting Gruden interview Fangio and not just go with Barry

-Fangio wanted the job but was never offered it

-Fangio never really wanted the job which is why it was never offered to him

-Barry is the new DC now, even though fan backlash hasn't dwindled

-Barry hasn't been offered the job yet

I think I got all the fan and insider scenarios lol...

lloyd-300x300.jpg

Thoroughly confused - is this official??? :huh:

It doesn't matter.  I think everyone knows that any credible DC candidate wouldn't take this job; knowing that the head coach will more than lilkely be fired next year.

2015 will not be any better than the last 2 years.

With that high pick, maybe even the #1 pick in 2016; Scott will work his magic.  Assuming, Scott hasn't been fired also; as Danny goes to hiring yet another big name.

It doesn't matter.  I think everyone knows that any credible DC candidate wouldn't take this job; knowing that the head coach will more than lilkely be fired next year.

2015 will not be any better than the last 2 years.

With that high pick, maybe even the #1 pick in 2016; Scott will work his magic.  Assuming, Scott hasn't been fired also; as Danny goes to hiring yet another big name.

All sorts o' contradictions here, amigo lol...

When all was said and done, what came out of Jay's mouth is probably what bothers me the most.  I dont mind making mistakes.  I just mind when people DONT try.  

"We only offered, really, to Joe. Vic was kind of more of a meeting and see what kind of availability he had. He didn’t really say he was available."

How do YOU NOT OFFER TO A GUY because he "Didnt really say he was available"????? What is this finding a partner for a 3rd grade science project or the freakin NFL?

And when he picks someone that nobody on ES wants...

I got it!

Rotational Spine Eyelash Extension!

We're going to extend and rotate all our coaches!

Morris to HC, Gruden to OC, Barry to LB, Baker to DC, KO cries in the corner!

That or fan(base) backlash.

Probably that one.

One thing I'll say on that, I've tended to be optimistic about hires in the past.  There are almost always positive things floating around about candidates, it's just a matter of thinking about those versus the negatives (which unfortunately have won out consistently).  The optimism for the Bruce/Dan regime is pretty much gone.  But with Scot, that optimism is still there.  I think he'd have to have 2 really truly stinkers at HC for me to begin to lose my patience with a purely Scot coaching staff.

If things go as badly this year as some have predicted (not entirely without reason), if nothing else, Scot will have a "what not to do" blueprint for his first FO building opportunity here.

For the record I have never been critical of the Scot hire. I believe his hire is the best decision this franchise has made in a decade. Maybe Barry will do better this time, I'll gladly eat crow if he does. But for someone to go to the lame "you don't know anything" argument to defend a guy with THAT resume? Come on. There are no examples of other coaches who've been that bad and turned it around in their second chance.

I have no idea how good or bad Barry will do.  I would have preferred Fangio but outside of him and looking at who's left now I don't see how hiring Barry is the catastrophic mistake that some of the chicken littles here make it out to be. 

Jay doesn't have to tell us a damn thing.  He doesn't have to explain himself and who gives a crap what he would say?  Would that honestly make anyone feel good?  Talk is cheap.  I want to see steady improvement week to week.  Based on the talent level and the amount of rebuilding that needs to take place I wouldn't even put a stat guideline on performance.  Don't bother me with  rankings just play hard, don't repeat the same mistakes, and show that progress is being made.  If the team regresses?  Then fire them.  It really is that simple for me.

RELAX people! 

Guess what Barry? You could very be a defensive coordinator of another 0-16 team! It would make a remarkable resume for your next job in 2016.

We might not win any games next year because of Gruden.

Seriously, I'm still in denial we actually hired this man. Barry is going to show us what Rock Bottom truly is.

And when he picks someone that nobody on ES wants...

Maybe for others.  Not for me.  If we have a real football guy making the real coach hire - then I don't mind that HC making the choice one bit.  Gruden does not get that benefit of the doubt from me - for several reasons.   Would be thrilled to have our football GM make the coaching hire rather than good old Bruce.

Why is it that whenever a tough question gets asked it APPEARS as if everyone turns their heads to Bruce( go back to the pressors and watch). If Jay fails does Teflon Allen? What about SM?And those of you who think that a poor hire for DC or a lousy record next year means a total housecleaning -and that things will THEN start to improve? Do we get excited about waiting another year to start the rebuild?I genuinely thought we were going in the right direction but it seems as if next year there will just be more excuses- too many injuries, too many fingers in the pie, not enough talent. Sound familiar, anyone?

This is actually kind of comical.  We go from "wait til next year" to "wait until the year after that".  This team is sure hard to root for...

Might be the last straw for me. 

LOL cause Fangio was going to miraculously field a defense that needs new starters at no less than 6 positions playing like a top 5 defense?  You seriously thought Fangio was going to have that much of an impact?  Nothing in his history demonstrates he is any better than Barry without talent.  He coached a defense ranked 31st.  Not too good as Spurrier would say.

Do you think it's possible to turn a 3-4 win team with our talent level around in one year?  Wouldn't that be enough of a reason on it's own?

Archived