Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Report: Joe Barry to be named Redskins' defensive coordinator

HapHaszard

Redskins hired Joe Barry as defensive coordinator.

It couldn't be any more underwhelming of a hire. Barry, 44, was the Chargers' LBs coach each of the past four seasons, but had a previous stint as the Lions' defensive coordinator from 2007-2008 under coach Rod Marinelli, who is Barry's father-in-law. The Lions went 0-16 in 2008 and finished dead-last in total defense each of those two seasons, giving up over 404 yards per game in the winless year. We'd actually maybe prefer Jim Haslett over Barry.

From Rotoworld Headlines

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/14/report-joe-barry-will-be-d-c-in-d-c/

Barry has been a defensive coordinator once before, and it did not go well: He was on the job in 2008 in Detroit, when the Lions went 0-16, and as the season went downhill there were accusations that Barry got the job not because he was the best person for it but because he is the son-in-law of then-Lions head coach Rod Marinelli.

I can't wait to hear Bruce at the presser, explaining why Barry was the best guy for the job. 

Why.... ? I simply do not understand this hire? What was Jay Gruden thinking? This guy's only stint as a DC was with the Lions and he went 16-0. He does not have a track record at a leadership position. He only got the job in Detroit because he was Marinelli's son in law.

Another guy with Tampa Bay ties..... All I can ask is WHY?

Can anyone tell me what this guy brings to the table?

The only reasoning that makes sense is that Dan wants to have a nice cheap coaching staff in place until Scot can build the roster and they can go after real coaches.  I don't know.

One other reasoning is that Bruce is the biggest "good ole boys' network ****tard in the history of mankind and would rather hook his friends than hook his father's former team.

I'm beginning to think Bruce Allen is really a Cowboys fan.

Oi vey

On December 21, 2008, at a press conference following the Lions' 42-27 loss to the New Orleans Saints, Detroit News sports columnist Rob Parker addressed a question about Barry to Marinelli, inquiring whether Marinelli wished that his daughter had "married a better defensive coordinator."

'm beginning to think Bruce Allen is really a Cowboys fan.

Bruce gots the daddy issues?

I want to know who this guy has developed. How good a teacher is he? What they saw in his schemes and philosophy? What type of motivator is he?

On the surface, this is the hire you make when you know the company is about to go bankrupt and you just need someone to sit in the desk answering phone calls.

I know I don't know enough about this guy, but so far I've never heard anyone say anything good about him even as a position coach.

I see this hire as a low risk high reward. 

We're going to suck again in 2015, so there's not much risk. 

The reward will be a complete coaching overhaul in 2016. Maybe this time a real football mind and not a party planner picks the head coach. 

It's high risk in terms of the fan base.  People were teetering on a cliff at the end of the season.  The hiring of McClougin pulled us back, but then this.  Redskins tickets were selling for five bucks some games.  The risk of the Barry hire if he can't get his act together is that the Redskins may have to hire Susan O'Malley and fill every game by advertising the other team. 

It's a really bad money decision if I'm reading the fan base right.

Great job Gruden, how many more of your Tampa Bay rejects do we have to go through? Wow the guy has an 0-16 on his resume as a d coordinator and we hire him.... can we dig up John McKay and give him a job to? We follow up what appears to be a good hire with this, makes me sick. Being a fan for over 40 years with this team and during the Snyder era nothing they do surprises me. We are a laughingstock with the clowns that call the shots. Wake me up on draft day maybe Scot Mc can make some good decisions....lord knows no one else can.

Meh, it's not like this coach staff is going to take the Skins to the promise-land.

Give Scot a few years to build up talent and they can fire this whole **** can.

This is my take on it. Let us finish 2-14 in 2015. We'll have a high pick and hopefully a new coaching staff. 

What is going on?  Sorry If I don't know who he is, but somebody tell me what the heck this guy has done?  Being apart of the Lions worst defense doesn't make me feel so good.  What is Jay trying to do?

From the picture, he looks like he has some energy...but dang

joe-barry-sideline.png?itok=EIsmWiBw

Archived