Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So who is gonna be the QB then?

RichmondRedskin88

I want to see Griffin. Lots and lots of Griffin. I want him to throw the ball 35-40 times against the giants. If he gets sacked 10 times, so be it. All season people have been saying just out him out there and see what happens, I agree. Take the kid gloves off and call the same game you would for Cousins and expect him to execute.

I want to see what happens when they aren't trying to make a game plan that they think he can handle and just live and die on his arm.

I want to see Griffin. Lots and lots of Griffin. I want him to throw the ball 35-40 times against the giants. If he gets sacked 10 times, so be it. All season people have been saying just out him out there and see what happens, I agree. Take the kid gloves off and call the same game you would for Cousins and expect him to execute.

I want to see what happens when they aren't trying to make a game plan that they think he can handle and just live and die on his arm.

35-40 times a game?

My Lord, my eyes may bleed.

Would love for the Rams to cut Bradford and for him to miraculously be forever healthy.

It'd be a funny sort of coincidence if somehow Bradford is cut, and we pick him up and have success with him...while Griffin is cut, picked up by the Rams, and he has success there.

Then again, with the Karma this team has, Bradford failing miserably would probably be more realistic sadly.

I don't think there's enough lube in the world to ease the pain that would occur, if we had to trade any picks away to the Rams for Bradford... How that would suck.

So the plan is to move on from an often injured QB by trading for an often injured QB? What could possibly go wrong....

You can do both.  Guards and RT are routinely drafted in the first three rounds, by teams not named the Redskins.  The problem hasn't been spending every pick on QBs until the RG3 trade.  The problem has been all those other picks spent on TE, WR, S, CB, and LB.  Clearly it's worked out as the Redskins have a dominant defense. 

Well, part of the problem is that the 'Skins HAVE spent 3 (THREE!) 3rd round picks in the last 3 drafts on Tackles and Guards, and NONE of them are playing.  Ribs, Long and Moses.  That's a lot of picks in the third round on OL that haven't panned out. Yet.  

And Ribbs is never going to pan out.  

They also had guys like Gettis and Mo Hurt who were later round picks who also didn't work out.  

I'll give them this: They've TRIED to do what other teams have done, and found G's and RT's in the mid to late rounds of the draft.  They've just wiffed on every one.  the only OL pick that's worked has been Trent.  

The good thing about playing McCoy for the last two games is that it has utterly proved that it's not the QB that's the problem.

We have tried 3 QB's this year, and all have failed.

Now, perhaps we can work out what we need to fix to support a QB, because I actually think we have 3 decent QB's.

Arguably, Cousins threw int's because he knew the pressure was coming, McCoy can't find his feet & get stable for the same reason, and the relentless pressure is making RG3 look like a rabbit in the headlights (especially when he is told to stay in the pocket and fight his instincts to run...half the reason he turned pressure into big plays in 2012).

All three get worse as time goes on...you know why...because they start with belief and hope, and quickly realize that the O-Line just isn't going to buy them any time.

Drafting another QB right now is madness, especially when you consider what we "paid" for RG3. We finally have draft picks again, let's use them to bolster the line. 

And yes, we have tried picking up lineman, but you never know, maybe a 1st round pick on a star lineman might work, I hate to praise them, but Dallas is looking scary because they fixed their line.

We have the talent to work with a good line, but that talent is wasted without one...

Haven't the Redskins spent a long time in the Snyder era with a good defense and no QB?  I swear we've tried that already.  Gibbs 2.0 teams could defend and run the ball... couldn't pass for ****. 

The offensive line should be a priority, which it hasn't been in ages, but if we start drafting defensive backs in the first round again... I might have to learn to love hockey.

It is not often I find myself disagreeing with you Destino, but on this post I have two issues.

1. I think we would all take something like Gibbs 2.0 over anything we've had since Gibbs 1.0. I think the focus Gibbs brought to playing well in the trenches made a real difference in the quality of football, even with a game manager like Brunell at the helm. The offensive line was good then, it was a lack of depth and injuries that set them back at times (in 2006 especially). It wasn't just a good defense, although there certainly was that, it was good fundamental football, blocking and tackling. I think getting back to that would do us more good than any QB change.

2. I can't accept the no first round DBs rule.  There was this one guy we took 5th overall in 2004; he was worth the pick.  I'd grab another guy like that in a heartbeat, if only there were such . . . but that only makes me think about what might have been.   :(

Not to nitpick, but I felt compelled to respond.

It's great to talk about signing some quality free agent QB, but most of the good ones will probably not want to come to the Skins as a first, second, or even third choice.

I'll be nice and confine the list of reasons to just the poor quality of the offensive line. A QB trying to conduct a passing attack behind that poor example of pass protection will get pummeled to the point they might become damaged goods. And considering how often the Skins are forced to become a one-dimensional passing attack in 3-&-long situations, the deficiencies in pass-protection would be a huge red flag to any decent QB seeking a continued career in the NFL.

And that's just the offensive line! There are a lot of reasons to be looking elsewhere.

Knowing us, we'll draft two kickers and a punter with our first three picks of the draft, completely ignoring the fact that we likely have the worst offensive line in the NFL. So it really doesn't matter who we play at QB. We're a doomed and cursed team. :(

The QB doesn't matter, we need to focus on the OL the next couple of drafts, draft a 1st or 2nd round RT this year and another Guard, then next year draft a Center high and another Guard and we can start talking about our QB for the future.

No, we don't draft a QB. Roll these 3 back out again next year with an open compeition in TC and the preseason. QB is a problem, but it's far from the only or major problem with this team. OL, DL, LB, CB, and S are all far more pressing needs than QB.

IMO, the problems are OL and S, with QB a distant 2nd and LB/CB really not being a huge issue compared to those.

In the last 15 years we have used 6 1sts, 2 2nds, 3 3rds, 4 4ths, and a handful of 6th and 7ths on QBs, but we still have no answer and we still have not had back to back winning seasons. Has there been any other team in NFL history with such a waste of picks for so long?

Can anybody tell me if Cousins is the backup against the Giants this week or is it Colt?

From Gruden's press conference yesterday, it sounded like if Colt can go, he's starting. It's only if Colt can't go that Griffin will start, in which case Cousins will be the backup. But I haven't read the papers this morning if something changed over night.

To this day I still believe that had Gibbs gotten one of the QBs from the 2004 draft, we'd of had another Lombardi trophy.

2005 wasn't all that far away. 

Respect Gibbs.

I agree -if we had taken Rapistberger instead of Sean Taylor we would have made the playoffs every year Gibbs was here, and he might've even stayed for year 5.

I don't think any QB is going to be successful in Gruden's "system" and behind that o-line.. Sure, Kirk gets rid of the ball.. Before the play develops, whether or not his rx is covered, or while under pressure, so the result is a INT.. No thanks! Need a real offensive mind with a system that complements their QB.. Gruden's over his head and doesn't have any answer other than "Im going to continue doing what I know how to do".. Which is nothing, really..

Draft O-line, HC, DC, OC, GM and any other complementary coach you can find, and roll with the QB's on the roster now.. Hopefully this time next year we can see an iota of improvement, somewhere on the field..

I'm starting to look at QB's Gruden may like in the later rounds.  Sean Mannion is about a 5th round prospect so far, but has a strong arm, loves football, and is playing in a Pro-Style offense with John Garrett (Jason's bro) coaching him up.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/74018/mannion-on-his-growth-wrs-john-garrett?ex_cid=espnapi_public

• He did say that what has changed in his four years is how hard he is on himself. "As I've grown, it hasn't been 'Oh, I completed a pass,' it has been, 'but how accurate was the pass I completed?' ... I think I've made myself be much more fine with how accurate I am on every ball. It's not just about getting it to them, it's about trying to get the perfect throw on every route."
  • His rough estimate on how many passes he has thrown this summer: 1,800-2,250. He said he throws 40-50 passes, five days per week. I calculated that at approximately 45 days since their spring game.

I am having a hard time even caring. What a disaster. Is any answer the right answer? Seems that no matter what is done with this team, just turns into a big pile of crap.

This right here.  Doesn't matter who they trot out there to take snaps, it's not going to end well. 

I think QBs are needed in order to evaluate an offensive line and receivers. A good one makes them look much better, a bad one makes them look much worse. I don't think you can ever say "we can wait on a QB". I think you can search for a QB and build an offensive line at the same time, but the team needs to focus on it and get better at picking players. Not getting a QB isn't going to make the line suddenly better. It really all comes down to the scouting department, GM, and commitment to making it a priority.

You mean how RGiii masked our flawed lne in 2012? Exactly. What if he was given a good line at this point?

My plan would be develop a long term target date for competetiveness. I'd trade whatever picks we have in 2015 and 2016 for high picks in 2017-2019. Figure a Top 10 Pick in 2015 alone could garner three to four 1sts and a couple more 2ds in the 2017-19 Drafts (multi trade downs). With that haul it would increase our chances of fielding contending teams in the 2020-2030 timeframe.

Oh and starting right now actually spend money on the Scouting department. Everyone likes to point out how Snyder is willing to spend the bucks but he hasn't in this department. That needs to change.

Archived