Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So who is gonna be the QB then?

RichmondRedskin88

Interesting.  I was thinking about that this morning, not sure if he can stay healthy though.

Do you think Kirk can be "coached up" and reduce the INTs?  I would not be opposed to this, only because when Kirk is on, he plays great.  Problem is when it gets bad, the kid implodes.

That's the question. If the coaches believe they can correct whatever it is that causes him to do this, then Kirk is the guy to roll with. Build everything around him.  If Kirk's deficiency is not correctable, then we don't have a QB on the team.

I think we SHOULD go back to Cousins. Yes he threw horrible interceptions but he also threw more TD's and moved the offense better than anyone else on this roster. He has had time to recover from that mental breakdown he had and I'm sure he is itching to get back out there and redeem himself. I'm just going to enjoy the show. Since we can't win we might as well laugh at how terrible this franchise is and enjoy this reality show.

Just like Schaub had time to recover from last season of his INT debacle.  Kirk Schaub.

Scary thought... looking at the QBs on Philly's roster and seeing how you can plug pretty much any QB into Philly's system and they can run it... I wouldn't be at all surprised to see RGIII in Philly.  Solid Oline, defense has been steady... special teams are phenominal... he won't need to sit back in the pocket and contemplate if his WRs will even have a chance to get open before his Oline collapses.  

RGIII would look like Montana with Chip Kelly.

So why do all Skins fans want RG3 out of the team?Id say he is the best option for yall at QB right now going forward.McCoy?yeah he's good but Cousins,he had his chance when healthy and has had the same time with the playbook as RG3 and what..nothing

The issue is when RGIII is in there, the offense lays eggs.  I wish I had time to go through and see all the points RGIII led the team to.  I know he scored 7 against Minny and 7 against SF and I'm not even sure he should be given credit for those.  If you watched the Houston game you could see there was issues... the key game to me however is the Jags game.  If RGIII never gotten injured in that game I think he would've lit it up... and maybe then because of that game Gruden would've stuck with him through thick and thin.  

You see RGIII struggle, and then insert Kirk Cousins and he lights up the scoreboard against Jacksonville and then again against Philly.  When Kirk struggles for 3 games straight, you want him to feel pressure to correct his mistakes so you insert Colt... Colt just happened to be the QB on the team who had the better defense against Dallas.  So RGIII is healthy and you give him a couple games to see what hes got and with a top rusher in Alfred, stud WRs in DJax and Pierre, a tight end in Jordan Reed.... we can only score 7 points offensively.  That is rock bottom in this league.  Jacksonville and Oakland score more then that as long as its not against the Rams.

RGIII won't affect our defense, so you've got to play the guy who will help you score points.

So why do all Skins fans want RG3 out of the team?Id say he is the best option for yall at QB right now going forward.McCoy?yeah he's good but Cousins,he had his chance when healthy and has had the same time with the playbook as RG3 and what..nothing

cus they think gruden will make cousins or mccoy into franchise qbs and griffin is the reason this team sucks...

what about the offensive line,Defense,special teams?the problem is not only QB

McCoy has the potential to be franchise i give you that,but Cousins?gimme a break

Dont go making too much sense now. I disagree on the Colt assessment tho, I just don't see the longterm potential.  

....Scary thought... looking at the QBs on Philly's roster and seeing how you can plug pretty much any QB into Philly's system and they can run it... I wouldn't be at all surprised to see RGIII in Philly.  Solid Oline, defense has been steady... special teams are phenominal... he won't need to sit back in the pocket and contemplate if his WRs will even have a chance to get open before his Oline collapses.  

While other teams are adopting and having success with spread and zone-read concepts from college. We are throwing away one of the best prospects that already not only understands those concepts but executed them at an elite level. What is the football reason (because there seem to be personal reasons as well) for throwing Griffin away? The offense the current HC runs is unwilling to adapt to suit the former potential franchise QB. Meanwhile, Chip Kelly is taking the spread and zone-read and using them as the foundation of an offense that has resurrected the careers of 2 middling journeymen in Nick Foles and Mark Sanchez. Other teams are following suit like the Dolphins. Other teams

I have no doubt Griffin could execute Chip Kelly's offense at a high level and I sincerely hope the FO is smart enough to trade him away and make sure there is clause that keeps him out of Philly.

At the same time I think Gruden's scheme works, its not my preference because it produces empty passing yards and doesn't establish the run enough. But the scheme works. But imo a good coach adapts to the talent he has he doesn't import a scheme unchanged and to my eye Gruden's scheme is largely unchanged.

Static vs dynamic

Not all fans want Griffin gone. But its a moot point because the HC doesn't want him.

Nick - part of our problem is the perception you have and the technical reality that Cousins hasn't had the benefit of everything Griffin has ... yes he has the playbook just as long but he hasn't been prepped for the start as often as Griffin when you consider preseason ... and if you had watched Griffin and Cousins play this year you'd see that Cousins makes the playbook work better than Griffin ... really well actually with the exception of those damn INTs.  He also has 2 wins and inspite of his INTs some pretty good QB ratings especially relative to Griffin.  Then McCoy comes in and plays well against Dallas and hasn't been shredded by film reviewers for the debacle last week (largely not due to things he didn't do well) ... and then you see what an f'ed up life we have as Redskins fans.  Griffin ... nothing.  Cousins ... pretty baby in some nasty bathwater ... McCoy ... ordinary baby in some ordinary bathwater.  And to make it really really entertaining ... it hardly matters due to the defense's ability to no-show, the protection breakdowns and running game stuffs the offense serves up.

Nick - part of our problem is the perception you have and the technical reality that Cousins hasn't had the benefit of everything Griffin has ... yes he has the playbook just as long but he hasn't been prepped for the start as often as Griffin when you consider preseason 

Oh bull.  He got the entire 2013 preseason and when I went to training camp Cousins got a whole lot of reps.  If you want Cousins fine, but be honest about it.  Cousins has had more NFL preseason work and minicamps than Griffin.

The issue is when RGIII is in there, the offense lays eggs.  I wish I had time to go through and see all the points RGIII led the team to.  I know he scored 7 against Minny and 7 against SF and I'm not even sure he should be given credit for those.  If you watched the Houston game you could see there was issues... the key game to me however is the Jags game.  If RGIII never gotten injured in that game I think he would've lit it up... and maybe then because of that game Gruden would've stuck with him through thick and thin.  

You see RGIII struggle, and then insert Kirk Cousins and he lights up the scoreboard against Jacksonville and then again against Philly.  When Kirk struggles for 3 games straight, you want him to feel pressure to correct his mistakes so you insert Colt... Colt just happened to be the QB on the team who had the better defense against Dallas.  So RGIII is healthy and you give him a couple games to see what hes got and with a top rusher in Alfred, stud WRs in DJax and Pierre, a tight end in Jordan Reed.... we can only score 7 points offensively.  That is rock bottom in this league.  Jacksonville and Oakland score more then that as long as its not against the Rams.

RGIII won't affect our defense, so you've got to play the guy who will help you score points.

i just dont like how Cousins has been throwing INTS to go with the TD's,thats why i think Gruden is sticking with McCoy

While other teams are adopting and having success with spread and zone-read concepts from college. We are throwing away one of the best prospects that already not only understands those concepts but executed them at an elite level.

DG ... I wouldn't keep coming back with things if I didn't respect your opinion ... sometimes I feel like I'm arguing with myself because among other things given Griffin became a Redskins I want to see him be great as long as he's wearing B&G ...

He's not running the zone read at an elite level.  I did for about 9 or so games two years ago ... he didn't last year and he's not this year.  There are ZR and spread plays and when he's been in there he looks like he doesn't want to run (I swear he's read QB and still handed it off) or he holds the ball and then fixates on the 350 pounds of beef that closing in on him ... stops looking down field and runs around until they tackle him (another thing he used to be better at but isn't elite lately).  I get the impression he's preoccupied with the rush ... don't know that spread is going to make him do anything except be even more preoccupied with avoiding pain.

Oh bull.  He got the entire 2013 preseason and when I went to training camp Cousins got a whole lot of reps.  If you want Cousins fine, but be honest about it.  Cousins has had more NFL preseason work and minicamps than Griffin.

it was an assumption that Griffin was the main QB this past preseason ... if you know he wasn't I can't say you're wrong.  Seems odd though to not emphasis the starting QB ... if its true then I'm officially on the fire Gruden bus.  How do you know this?  btw I just realized you brought up last years preseason ... if that's something you see as useful to prep QBs this season ... then add in all the preseasons and all the regular season games ... Griffin far an away has more time as "the" QB ... if its this season only then Griffin has more time but Cousins hasn't been ignored (my original point) ... which way do you want to go with it?  Griffin has a whole lot more time prepping as the starter ... or Griffin has slightly more time prepping as the starter and had the entire most recent preseason?

Nick - part of our problem is the perception you have and the technical reality that Cousins hasn't had the benefit of everything Griffin has ... yes he has the playbook just as long but he hasn't been prepped for the start as often as Griffin when you consider preseason ... and if you had watched Griffin and Cousins play this year you'd see that Cousins makes the playbook work better than Griffin ... really well actually with the exception of those damn INTs.  He also has 2 wins and inspite of his INTs some pretty good QB ratings especially relative to Griffin.  Then McCoy comes in and plays well against Dallas and hasn't been shredded by film reviewers for the debacle last week (largely not due to things he didn't do well) ... and then you see what an f'ed up life we have as Redskins fans.  Griffin ... nothing.  Cousins ... pretty baby in some nasty bathwater ... McCoy ... ordinary baby in some ordinary bathwater.  And to make it really really entertaining ... it hardly matters due to the defense's ability to no-show, the protection breakdowns and running game stuffs the offense serves up.

If anything,fix the OL first which will bring back the missing running game, and then go from there.have the QBs throw less because all 3 of them tend to make mistakes forcing balls.And by the way Cousins had as much first team reps when RG3 was healing so if anything,he should be way ahead of McCoy

If anything,fix the OL first which will bring back the missing running game, and then go from there.have the QBs throw less because all 3 of them tend to make mistakes forcing balls.And by the way Cousins had as much first team reps when RG3 was healing so if anything,he should be way ahead of McCoy

100% agree ... very popular position in ES ... build the line then worry about the other things

Answering the OP title question-Here are some possible journeyman QBs to bring to camp to compete, look right now the QBs for next year are Colt McCoy and Kirk Cousins i.e. all bets are off we can't rightly turn our nose up to any QBs

Ryan Mallett-

Christian Ponder-

Jake Locker-

Sam Bradford-

The only one of those who would in any way interest me would be Sam Bradford who I really liked coming out of College. I think he fits what Gruden wants in a QB very well. That's assumes Gruden is still here of course.

Ryan Mallett-

Christian Ponder-

Jake Locker-

Sam Bradford-

Out of those 4, I could see maybe keeping Cousins and McCoy, bringing in Bradford (if available) or Locker and letting them compete to start.

I think a healthy Bradfor easily wins the starting job, again, how long will he be healthy?

Just like Schaub had time to recover from last season of his INT debacle.  Kirk Schaub.

Scary thought... looking at the QBs on Philly's roster and seeing how you can plug pretty much any QB into Philly's system and they can run it... I wouldn't be at all surprised to see RGIII in Philly.  Solid Oline, defense has been steady... special teams are phenominal... he won't need to sit back in the pocket and contemplate if his WRs will even have a chance to get open before his Oline collapses.  

This is my big fear with trading away RG3, he ends up somewhere with an O-Line and shines, and we spend 5+ years regretting it. Worse still if that's at a division rival. Whatever happens he mustn't be traded within the division...

This is my big fear with trading away RG3, he ends up somewhere with an O-Line and shines, and we spend 5+ years regretting it. Worse still if that's at a division rival. Whatever happens he mustn't be traded within the division...

I have the same fear ... but I think its low risk ... he holds the ball too long ... he has not concept of how to deal with pressure even if its infrequent ... he doesn't run like he used to ... and he breaks easily

I can't believe people are suggesting we stay with the current three-headed monster at QB. We desperately need to bring in someone, anyone, who can play at least at a bare minimum level of competency. If Griffin is still on the roster, keep working to see if he's still got potential for the future. In the meantime, though, the Redskins have to get one of those journeyman QBs who bounce around the league helping offenses tread water. Current examples are Kyle Orton & Fitzpatrick, but in recent years it's been guys like Matt Hasselbeck, Jon Kitna, etc. For the benefit and evaluation of the rest of the team, someone has to be able to stand back there and deliver at least average quality passes, making average quality reads, and at least allow the coaching staff to identify what is working on offense, what isn't working, who needs to go, who can stay, etc. As it stands, it's obvious the o-line needs to be overhauled, but I don't feel like we've seen Jay Gruden's offense all year (maybe we saw it for about 6 quarters with Kirk) because of the state of our QB play.

Archived