Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So who is gonna be the QB then?

RichmondRedskin88

As bad as Griffin has looked, I think it is too soon to abandon him. You don't give up on a guy who has had so much success (Heisman and RotY winner) who you invested so much in while he is still in his rookie contract.

I'm not thrilled with Griffin any more than anybody else with eyes, but I'm of the belief he should get at least one or two more years to prove it before we start looking for a new QB.

I know it's a joke to when Snyderrato was willing to trade three number ones and Jason Campbell for Douche in 2009. 

My bad.

Though, if we could get Cutler for the obligatory VM+I, it might be worth it. It could be fun. Just call DJax go routes every play.

We need to fix other aspects of the team before we fix the QB.  The team would still suck even if we had a good quarterback.  I wouldn't be completely opposed to drafting a quarterback, but I don't think it is the #1 priority.  I think we roll with RG3/Cousins/McCoy next year then focus on drafting a QB or signing one in 2016.  Because let's face it, we aren't making the playoffs next year. 

Even though I think he sucks, we should give RG3 another chance, simply because we invested the world in him and he has shown ability in the past.  Cousins does too.  Let them battle it out in training camp.  I think McCoy is horse fodder.

RG3. We just need to draft offensive linemen. with a much better offensive line, the QB will be much better. just my opinion. although seems like my opinion gets shot down a lot so...**** it.

This is right on. If I were the coach I would roll out RG3 every game and have him run the same plays he did his rookie year. I don't see that kid in Seattle being a Brady clone so why can't our QB run the same stuff? Mix in some pocket passing to one side of the field to keep it simple and see what happens. We can't be worse than we are now but RG3 NEEDS A LINE PERIOD. Forget drafting QBs for now as very few can function like Rogers does without a great line.

Only the 8th and I've already gotten my monthly requirement of horse**** here, what am I gonna do 'til New Years?!? shrug.gif

Same thing I've said for years, the way a lot of others have, FIX THE GODDAM LINE! And if that means firing coaches to get'er done, I'm fine with that. Fire 'em, fire 'em publicly, fire 'em out of a damn cannon if it helps, but do something here.

Enough of the splashy, fantasy football BS, get some guys up front that can stone a D, not just Trent and his no-name backup singers. I don't give a rats ass, not even one small furry cheek, if TheDan or Bruce or ______________ (fill in the blank with your choice of villain) is or isn't a "football guy", kids begging change in Guatemala know our line sucks, fix that, fix it right before even thinking about anything else. And no, picking up Cleveland's craiglist trash doesn't count as "fixing" anything Bruce.

I can live another season w/ retread safeties, ride Murph and let 'Rak walk, even with young DBs running into each other while the Benny Hill music plays, but this **** with the line has gone on way too long.

Put a line out there that deserves to see the field, and then we'll argue about QBs.

We need to fix other aspects of the team before we fix the QB.  The team would still suck even if we had a good quarterback.  I wouldn't be completely opposed to drafting a quarterback, but I don't think it is the #1 priority.  I think we roll with RG3/Cousins/McCoy next year then focus on drafting a QB or signing one in 2016.  Because let's face it, we aren't making the playoffs next year. 

Even though I think he sucks, we should give RG3 another chance, simply because we invested the world in him and he has shown ability in the past.  Cousins does too.  Let them battle it out in training camp.  I think McCoy is horse fodder.

I think QBs are needed in order to evaluate an offensive line and receivers.  A good one makes them look much better, a bad one makes them look much worse.  I don't think you can ever say "we can wait on a QB".  I think you can search for a QB and build an offensive line at the same time, but the team needs to focus on it and get better at picking players.  Not getting a QB isn't going to make the line suddenly better.  It really all comes down to the scouting department, GM, and commitment to making it a priority.  

I honestly don't care.  What's so unimaginably depressing is that we've spent countless picks on QBs over the past decade, and have still come up empty.  

And we've spent MULTIPLE picks on SINGLE guys at least 3 times. (JC, McNabb, Griffin)

Think about the QBs we've drafted or traded early picks for just in the past 10 years:

Ramsey, who Spurrier ruined.

Brunell - 3rd round pick

JC, which cost multiple picks, and was never really good.

McNabb, which cost multiple picks, and should have at least been a 2-3 year stop-gap, but wasn't.

Griffin, 2 additional 1sts and a 2nd to go along with the #1 used to select him.

Think about this: Since 2004, the Giants have had 1 QB.  Eli. 

Romo took over the Cowboys in 2006.

McNabb held down the Eagles QB spot for a decade until 2010, and they've had essentially 3 QBs since (Vick, Foles, Sanchez).  Only one of which did they spend a pick on. 

The Eagles won the division left/right/center for ages. The Cowboys have been to the playoffs a number of times, (though not lately), and the Giants have won 2 freaking SBs.

And the reason they have been able to do this is they haven't pissed away 10+ early round picks on QBs.  

It's just insanity. I'm not even counting late round picks, but there have been a few of those also.  

If I was the boss, I'd have a new rule: We're not drafting or trading for a QB until the defense is a legitimate force, and there are multiple, good young players along the OL, TE and RB.  

Everybody is ****ing and moaning about the OL.  The 2 guard spots of the OL are bad.  Trent is great, though playing on 1 leg.  Compton is probably good enough to be a RT, and KL might be the best OL we have right now.  

The bigger problem is the the RBs and TEs are absolutely horrendous in any type of protection.  

Until you fix the OL/TE/RB protection issues, and the defensive issues, I don't care if they trot out Sexy Rexy.  Or KC, or KM, or Griffin, or Jay Cutler, or Sam Bradford, or Mark Sanchez, or Nick Foles, or anybody.

The only caveat: If Rodgers/Manning/Brady were playing behind this group of misfits, they'd figure out a way (with competent coaching) to make the offense respectable. I think Manning would make the OL look positively pro-bowl like, because he gets the ball out SO quickly, and throws guys open. 

But they're not walking through the door. So, get 2 new Guards, a legitimate blocking TE, a RB who can block anybody, and fix the God Damn defense.  

Then we'll worry about spending MORE picks on a freaking QB.

/Rant.

Haven't the Redskins spent a long time in the Snyder era with a good defense and no QB?  I swear we've tried that already.  Gibbs 2.0 teams could defend and run the ball... couldn't pass for ****. 

The offensive line should be a priority, which it hasn't been in ages, but if we start drafting defensive backs in the first round again... I might have to learn to love hockey.

Haven't the Redskins spent a long time in the Snyder era with a good defense and no QB? I swear we've tried that already. Gibbs 2.0 teams could defend and run the ball... couldn't pass for ****.

The offensive line should be a priority, which it hasn't been in ages, but if we start drafting defensive backs in the first round again... I might have to learn to love baseball.

We've drafted three QBs in the first round. We've spent multiple picks trading for others. They all leave here shell shocked. Build the damn trenches and then draft a QB. It won't work any other way unless you end up with a Brees, Manning, Brady type.

I think we SHOULD go back to Cousins. Yes he threw horrible interceptions but he also threw more TD's and moved the offense better than anyone else on this roster. He has had time to recover from that mental breakdown he had and I'm sure he is itching to get back out there and redeem himself. I'm just going to enjoy the show. Since we can't win we might as well laugh at how terrible this franchise is and enjoy this reality show.

Even if you prefer sacks to interceptions, RG3 and Colt aren't better than Kirk in that regard if you look at Td and int. Heck RG3 has more ints than Td's.

only if you selectively throw away Griffin's first year.  Both cousins and griffin have a body of work behind them, and it's obvious griffin takes better care of the football than cousins.  cousins is in the rex grossman mold, he takes more risks with throws than griffin does.

You know whats so sad right now?  Everyone has a different opinion on how to fix the team, but yet we have tried them all.

We tried drafting OL, heck weve spent a good many picks on OL the past couple years, Trent, Moses, Compton, Laribeous, etc;  Our line still sucks.  And it sucks because our QB sucks. 

We tried drafting defensive players, ESPECIALLY, the past couple years, but even moreso before than.  Landry was a bust, Orakpo has been a bust kinda, Kerrigan is decent but not great.  Heck thats 3 first rounders that pretty much were wastes of space other than Kerrigan.  Orakpo sucks, he never does anything anymore.  Rambo, Phillip Thomas, the list goes on man, we tried that, and it hasnt worked. And Haslett is the main reason.

We tried going all in for a QB with RG3, and we thought we got it right after the first year.  Then, we found out we didnt.  I wish I could go back in time and visit Snyder the year before and tell him "JUST LOSE EVERY GAME FOR LUCK"  Which, honestly, I begged for us to do, but w/e.

We tried drafting Campbell, and Ramsey, we tried the veteran QB thing with Brunell and McNabbb.  Guess what?  None of it worked man.  So no matter what we do, we are just going to suck I guess.    Man, this is freaking so heartbreaking.  I love this team so mcuh how can we have such bad mojo?

Honestly, I dont even care anymore.  People will probably disagree with me, but screw it trade the niners a 6th rd pick for Harbaugh, and let him fix this massive piece of crap team.  I dont care what it says about the niners not being all in on him.  They are talking about firing the freaking dude who went to 3 NFC championships in 3 years, and 1 SB and it was his first 3 years coaching.  Freaking ridiculous.  They might not be having that great of a year this year, but I would KILL to be 7-6 right now.  Unreal how spoiled some 49ers fans are.

You know whats so sad right now?  Everyone has a different opinion on how to fix the team, but yet we have tried them all.

We tried drafting OL, heck weve spent a good many picks on OL the past couple years, Trent, Moses, Compton, Laribeous, etc;  Our line still sucks.  And it sucks because our QB sucks. 

We tried drafting defensive players, ESPECIALLY, the past couple years, but even moreso before than.  Landry was a bust, Orakpo has been a bust kinda, Kerrigan is decent but not great.  Heck thats 3 first rounders that pretty much were wastes of space other than Kerrigan.  Orakpo sucks, he never does anything anymore.  Rambo, Phillip Thomas, the list goes on man, we tried that, and it hasnt worked. And Haslett is the main reason.

You name 3 players, say they're all waste of space first rounders, except for one of the guys you named? Makes sense. We drafted Landry 7 years ago and 4 coaches ago. I'm not saying this team has been great at drafting, but the success rate of first rounders across the league isn't much better than what we have. 

We've drafted three QBs in the first round. We've spent multiple picks trading for others. They all leave here shell shocked. Build the damn trenches and then draft a QB. It won't work any other way unless you end up with a Brees, Manning, Brady type.

You can do both.  Guards and RT are routinely drafted in the first three rounds, by teams not named the Redskins.  The problem hasn't been spending every pick on QBs until the RG3 trade.  The problem has been all those other picks spent on TE, WR, S, CB, and LB.  Clearly it's worked out as the Redskins have a dominant defense. 

I say we trade 3 firsts and a second for him. 

Also, it would be awesome to have a Native American QB as the face of this franchise. 

As long as someone reaches out to him first to make sure he wants to play here.  If the Redskins trade for him or try to sign him as a free agent and he turns the team down because he thinks the name is offensive it would be a media **** storm. 

He's been asked about it before: 

Kevin Sheehan: So, out of curiosity, do you have any sort of feelings about the Redskins name?

Sam Bradford: "You know,obviously in Oklahoma there's a large Native American population. There are a lot of opinions on that name....but...I really don't feel like, you know, I need to be, you know, voicing my opinion. You know. If it's something I have to do down the line, you know, then I will, but I just don't feel like I need to address that issue right now."

You can do both.  Guards and RT are routinely drafted in the first three rounds, by teams not named the Redskins.  The problem hasn't been spending every pick on QBs until the RG3 trade.  The problem has been all those other picks spent on TE, WR, S, CB, and LB.  Clearly it's worked out as the Redskins have a dominant defense. 

As long as someone reaches out to him first to make sure he wants to play here.  If the Redskins trade for him or try to sign him as a free agent and he turns the team down because he thinks the name is offensive it would be a media **** storm. 

He's been asked about it before: 

Sounds like he was a little scared to say that the name didn't offend him. Or maybe scared to voice if it did. But you're right. That could be a mess

I vote rebuild the roster.  Don't run out and kill that chance by over paying for a QB, especially in the draft.

Play Cousins ... he made the offense run ... made good things happen except for the interceptions.  Re: the interceptions ... refer to Troy Aikman's rookie season.  If he needs coaching to address the INTs or his reaction to games crumbling around him ... then play McCoy for the remainder of this season and pencil Cousins in as #1 on the QB depth chart for next season.

McCoy seems to be able to play the position as intended.  He has some limitations re: arm strength and apparently some difficulty (rust?) making some throws (e.g., back corner of the endzone fade) but he's servicable to the extent the rest of the team allows him time to function.

Griffin ... I'm in the camp that he's not playing the position at a professional level/in a professional manner.  I don't beleive that he hasn't been getting a steady dose of coaching and teaching that ought to have developed his ability to play the position.  If its not can't then it's doesn't.  Doesn't really matter except for his potential.  If he can't I think he's done.  If he can ... I think he's got a lot of growing up to do as a professional.  Don't know that I want to hold on to either possibility.  First hint of a dramatic note or distraction ... b'bye.  If he manages to be the professional in training, positive everything team player, etc. ... then might as well hold to him for next season ... but I'd prefer to cut the drama loose ASAP and would lean towards dumping him and moving on.

Archived