Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So who is gonna be the QB then?

RichmondRedskin88

How will Kirk Cousins look if he knows he is the starter from the get-go next season? Even without getting starter reps, Cousins has outplayed other QB's based on production. McCoy has been a starter in the past and has gotten off season starter reps. So has RG3.

Cousins needs to get first string reps next year. Period.

My plan would be develop a long term target date for competetiveness. I'd trade whatever picks we have in 2015 and 2016 for high picks in 2017-2019. Figure a Top 10 Pick in 2015 alone could garner a three to four 1sts and a couple more 2ds in the 2017-19 Drafts (multi trade downs). With that haul it would increase our chances of fielding contending teams in the 2020-2030 timeframe.

LOL.  There is no longterm with these guys.  If Gruden and Bruce come back next year, they'll have so much pressure on them that I believe theyll pull out all the stops to try and prevent another disaster of a year.  Get ready to spend a whole lot of $$$ this offseason on bandaid fixes and maybe a coaching staff structure change.

How will Kirk Cousins look if he knows he is the starter from the get-go next season? Even without getting starter reps, Cousins has outplayed other QB's based on production. McCoy has been a starter in the past and has gotten off season starter reps. So has RG3.

Cousins needs to get first string reps next year. Period.

I asked this in the other thread.  Why isn't Cousins starting now if he's the future?? Why waste an opportunity for him to gain reps.

My plan would be develop a long term target date for competetiveness. I'd trade whatever picks we have in 2015 and 2016 for high picks in 2017-2019. Figure a Top 10 Pick in 2015 alone could garner a three to four 1sts and a couple more 2ds in the 2017-19 Drafts (multi trade downs). With that haul it would increase our chances of fielding contending teams in the 2020-2030 timeframe.

Yeah this isn't even remotely possible.

Unfortunately you are probably correct which likely means we won't be competing for a very long time.

You don't need a bunch of first round picks to be competitive. You just need guys who have an eye for talent and a staff that knows how to coach them. We don't have any of that.

LOL. There is no longterm with these guys. If Gruden and Bruce come back next year, they'll have so much pressure on them that I believe theyll pull out all the stops to try and prevent another disaster of a year. Get ready to spend a whole lot of $$$ this offseason on bandaid fixes and maybe a coaching staff structure change.

I asked this in the other thread. Why isn't Cousins starting now if he's the future?? Why waste an opportunity for him to gain reps.

Gruden seems to be in win-now mode. He probably feels Colt gives him the best chance to win right now. IMO he will try to develop Kirk in the off season. I don't like this thinking at all. Let him start and allow him to watch more tape of his bad habits. It will allow him to improve some more.

Kirk has never been given a fair shot.

You don't need a bunch of first round picks to be competitive. You just need guys who have an eye for talent and a staff that knows how to coach them. We don't have any of that.

I said it would increase our chances of fielding a contender during that timeframe and it would. Theoretically we could contend next year too but I just want to maximize the odds a bit.  And yes I concur about the eye for talent and coaching. One thing Snyder has never spent money on is a good scouting department. That needs to change. 

Gruden seems to be in win-now mode. He probably feels Colt gives him the best chance to win right now. IMO he will try to develop Kirk in the off season. I don't like this thinking at all. Let him start and allow him to watch more tape of his bad habits. It will allow him to improve some more.

Kirk has never been given a fair shot.

1) He absolutely is in win now mode. Why? I have no clue really. Upwards of 30% of this roster will change.  Momentum doesn't carry over.  Week 13 and we still lack fundamentals, we're not fixing those in the last 3 weeks.

2) Cousins had his shot.  The vibe around Cousins leading into halftime of the titans game was dude is too broken down mentally to continue. So I believe he had his shot, didn't capitalize.  

1) He absolutely is in win now mode. Why? I have no clue really. Upwards of 30% of this roster will change.  Momentum doesn't carry over.  Week 13 and we still lack fundamentals, we're not fixing those in the last 3 weeks.

2) Cousins had his shot.  The vibe around Cousins leading into halftime of the titans game was dude is too broken down mentally to continue. So I believe he had his shot, didn't capitalize.  

By "fair shot" I mean offseason reps knowing full well that Kirk is the starter. Backups and starters get different reps.  Something like that makes a huge difference.  Both Colt and RG3 have been in offseasons where they knew with 100% certainty that they were the starters. You see zero improvement from RG3, and Colt has his limitations.

Does it really matter? Football smart people understand a simple concept (not saying you don't) but the redskins don't. 

Football is won in the trenches.... 

When you have a bad ass OL: you push the line of scrimmage forward. you can run the ball easily. this sets up PA. doesn't matter who is running routes, when you have all day, all you need to do is catch. 

When you have a bad ass DL: LB's don't have to worry so much about run (bite on PA). You don't have to blitz and lose coverage cause your 4 will get it done. Corners can play up cause they know they have safety help (cause they're not worrying about the run). 

and for what it's worth, my 2 cents, it better be Robert. 

Does it really matter? Football smart people understand a simple concept (not saying you don't) but the redskins don't.

Football is won in the trenches....

When you have a bad ass OL: you push the line of scrimmage forward. you can run the ball easily. this sets up PA. doesn't matter who is running routes, when you have all day, all you need to do is catch.

When you have a bad ass DL: LB's don't have to worry so much about run (bite on PA). You don't have to blitz and lose coverage cause your 4 will get it done. Corners can play up cause they know they have safety help (cause they're not worrying about the run).

and for what it's worth, my 2 cents, it better be Robert.

Cowboys have the NFLs leading rusher by 400 yards over the next guy and have three first rounders on the offensive line. Why is the coralation so hard to understand? Better offensive line, more time for the QB to find an open receiver, more running lanes for the RB, and keeps the QB off his back. You can change the owner, GM, coach whatever and this truth remains the same. Win the line of scrimmage and win more games. Lose the line of scrimmage and lose more games.

I made this point in another thread, but I will say it again, as this is the thread for it...

The good news is we have played all 3 QB's and all have pretty much failed.

So, either all three are rubbish, or, much more likely, it's something else that is the problem *looks accusingly at the offensive line*.

Whether you are a McCoy fan, RG3 fan, or Cousins fan, you can take solace from the fact that there is still hope that with an O-line made of something stronger than rice paper, they will turn into the HOF QB you want them to be...

From everything I've heard if Colt can't go many expect Kirk to get the nod.

Is it bad that I hope colt can't go? Lol

I mean...I kind of like the offense moving the ball from time to time, even if Kirk goes on an interception spree again.

It's entertaining.

If colt plays I won't watch, same with griffin.

Lol this team sucks so bad....

The Rams are not stupid. They're not going to just let Bradford walk out the door. They know that if he can stay healthy, they have a chance.

The Rams are not going to pay Bradford another $15M (which is about what he is due next year) to find out if he can stay healthy. They only take about a $3M cap hit by cutting him as well. Unless Bradford takes a huge pay cut he is done in St Louis. No one is trading anything for that contract either.

Almost certainly Bradford will be cut as I cant see him agreeing to a pay cut to stay in St Louis, he probably wants a fresh start as well. I'd be really interested in giving Bradford a reasonable deal here with lots of incentives and not a lot of guarantees or signing bonus. He's not played well when he has been on the field but he did not have a lot to work with in that Rams offense and I really liked him coming out of College. His skill set would be a great fit for what Gruden wants from his QB.

The answer might be here but we won't know under this regime. He shut down the franchise QB because his production was sub par. Then his preferred stud was a turnover machine. He got the ball off in rythem, moved the O, and piled up numbers. Half the sacks and three times the turnovers. Then we bring in #3 and he shows you why he's #3. Can't see over the line, noodle arm, takes just as many sacks as RGIII, and almost as many picks as Cousins. The only thing we're consistent at is running the miserable offense.

It's great to talk about signing some quality free agent QB, but most of the good ones will probably not want to come to the Skins as a first, second, or even third choice.

I'll be nice and confine the list of reasons to just the poor quality of the offensive line. A QB trying to conduct a passing attack behind that poor example of pass protection will get pummeled to the point they might become damaged goods. And considering how often the Skins are forced to become a one-dimensional passing attack in 3-&-long situations, the deficiencies in pass-protection would be a huge red flag to any decent QB seeking a continued career in the NFL.

And that's just the offensive line! There are a lot of reasons to be looking elsewhere.

Cooley was not quite saying that, but very nearly about RGIII the other day.  He said that Griffin has gotten to the point where he's looking at the pressure.  It was the most damning thing I've heard so far.  The line Allen/Shanny/Gruden built may have turned one of the most dynamic passers and runners at QB into Patrick Ramsey or David Carr.

Can Griffin learn to trust the line again enough to see the field and make the throw.  He's still tough enough to take the hits and still takes too many hits, but he's been battered so often he's looking for it and maybe that's why he is taking so long or refusing to throw.  Maybe a part of him (subconsciously) feels the need to check to his safety first before he looks for the receiver if that first read isn't immediately open.

Agree w Cooley. We will never find success behind this line. No QB could. Not Montana, Elway, Manning, none. Address the lines I. A serious fashion and we will discover the skins have very good WR RBs and a good QB

Agree. The team needs to build a foundation before beginning its next Saviour Search.

Reed ... seems like an easy decision to me

" ... completed 122 of 222 passes for 1,706 yards and 38 touchdowns. He threw only two interceptions, and also rushed for 370 yards and eight touchdowns. He led New London to an undefeated regular season in 2007, and was a finalist for the 2008 Joe Montana High School Quarterback of the Year. Considered a four-star recruit by Rivals.com, he was rated the 10th best dual-threat quarterback in the nation."

Archived