Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"We've been losing. What I want is for us to finish dead last."

zoony

Time for Long, time for Redd, time for Thomas and time to continue to play RGIII.

For me, RGIII has to show he is the long term answer for this franchise.  For me, he has to show he can read NFL defenses like a franchise QB.  We need talent available at the top of the rounds.

And lastly, if Bridgewater can get that accuracy issue down, he is showing more promise than our QB.

Lastly, the defense collapsed again.  People have commented enough about it already.

Yah it's not just the high pick in the first, it's the high pick in every subsequent round. Huge advantage

Would like to see all the changes you outline. I wonder what kind of pick we could get for Morris?

My guess is a 2nd round at best.  I'd not take anything less.  He was #2 behind AP in 2012, #6 last year overall and sitting at #6 this year.  On average a top five back.

My guess is a 2nd round at best.  I'd not take anything less.  He was #2 behind AP in 2012, #6 last year overall and sitting at #6 this year.  On average a top five back.

We aren't a power running offense, I don't think we need a back with Almos talents. I genuinely think we could plug in Helu and not lose anything

I would take a 3rd for him but I doubt we would get that

We aren't a power running offense, I don't think we need a back with Almos talents. I genuinely think we could plug in Helu and not lose anything

Yeah, I think someone quicker who can catch passes is what's needed. Keep Helu for 3rd down or 2nd & long plays. Speed. Speed. I was hoping CThompson would be that guy but it's not looking like it. 

I'd be surprised if we couldn't get at least a 3rd for him.

But the smart time to market him was last offseason. we just don't have a FO that's forward-thinking like that.

Yeah, if he could throw the ball, he'd be a really good passer.

He can throw the ball, just doesn't have the deep ball accuracy yet.  If he did, they would have scored 42.  He did a better job at reading the defense than our QB and he is a rookie.

Edit:  To add to my criticism of our QB, RG played a good game for a QB that hasn't played in 7 weeks.  He has a nice deep ball touch and commands the respect of his teammates.

But I want a franchise QB.  Many people on this site claim he is and will be for years to come.  I sure as hope he becomes one, but right now, he is not.  To say otherwise is foolery.

RG3 proved today that he's better than Cousins and McCoy.  Enough to make me wonder if we could have won games earlier in the season where Cousins threw gimmes all over the places.

Other teams have stuck with less and had success.  Stick with RG3, and as long as he isn't asking for instant HOF money, keep him.  Again, I know we all hate McNabb, but I envision him being as good as, if not better than, McNabb for the Redskins.

Even a mediocrely competent QB is hard to find.  Look at some of the teams out there that are desperate for even a game manager.

Today's game proved to me that we don't need to finish last.  Because a few high draft picks, while maybe nice, isn't what we need.

I am more convinced than ever that there is enough talent on this team to compete with just about every other team out there, with the exception of interior OL and Safety.  

And you don't need the #1 overall pick to find a couple G's and a couple Safeties.  

What the team needs is better coaching on the defense.  And if they coached better on the defensive side, they'd win a lot more games.

What the team needs is better coaching on the defense.

Obviously, this is a true statement.

I disagree that we don't need high draft picks.  Every team in the league would love to have high draft picks (obviously, no one wants to lose to get them).  High draft picks means the choice of the best players and lessons the likelihood you will miss on a player.  The point of the comments in this thread are, why not get a top pick instead of the number 8 pick?  And, the OP is frustrated and tired of losing.

I agree that we do have talent, but I would add Dline to your list as we still need better players along both lines.

And to all the comments that RG is better than Cousins and Colt, who cares.  I want a franchise QB, not a game manager that is better than two backups.  The price of the second overall pick, and a ton of first round picks I had hoped would be enough to get one.

I am just hoping RG can continue to develop and turn the corner, while staying healthy.

Today's game proved to me that we don't need to finish last.  Because a few high draft picks, while maybe nice, isn't what we need.

I am more convinced than ever that there is enough talent on this team to compete with just about every other team out there, with the exception of interior OL and Safety.  

And you don't need the #1 overall pick to find a couple G's and a couple Safeties.  

What the team needs is better coaching on the defense.  And if they coached better on the defensive side, they'd win a lot more games.

I kind of agree...

If there was some BEASTLY, generational potential top guys...like Clowney or Suh or an Sean Taylor type...then yeah. But to my knowledge and understanding that's not there this year. OR if we were moving on from Griffin and there was a top 5 QB pick we absolutely wanted, but I don't think that's happening either.

I think for the health of this teams confidence and the locker room, a decent season and something to build on is going to be more important than drafting #6 or something. I think the biggest will be finishing strong, give this team a bit of momentum in their minds going into the next season.

Obviously, this is a true statement.

I disagree that we don't need high draft picks.  Every team in the league would love to have high draft picks (obviously, no one wants to lose to get them).  High draft picks means the choice of the best players and lessons the likelihood you will miss on a player.  The point of the comments in this thread are, why not get a top pick instead of the number 8 pick?  And, the OP is frustrated and tired of losing.

I agree that we do have talent, but I would add Dline to your list as we still need better players along both lines.

And to all the comments that RG is better than Cousins and Colt, who cares.  I want a franchise QB, not a game manager that is better than two backups.  The price of the second overall pick, and a ton of first round picks I had hoped would be enough to get one.

I am just hoping RG can continue to develop and turn the corner, while staying healthy.

So, let me clarify: I wouldn't mind having a top 5 pick, but I haven't adopted the mindset that I want to root for losses to get higher picks.

I think that we absolutely need players, but I think that finishing strong, and then using whatever picks we have would be more than enough to create a very solid roster.  

But then, we need to DEVELOP those picks, and stay with them.  I keep saying this, but there is not 1 single player from the 2008 draft and prior.  There is 1 from the 2009 draft.  

The good teams have their bluechip players in their primes, which means 3-8 years of experience, from the 2006 - 2011 drafts.  

We have bupkis from those drafts.  Forget blue chip players, we have NO players from 2008 and before. 2009 only has Orakpo, and he's hurt now and will probably be gone also.

So, for me, fixing the coaching side is as important as fixing the player side, because we haven't shown the ability to pick players or develop them.  

So, let me clarify: I wouldn't mind having a top 5 pick, but I haven't adopted the mindset that I want to root for losses to get higher picks.

I think that we absolutely need players, but I think that finishing strong, and then using whatever picks we have would be more than enough to create a very solid roster.  

But then, we need to DEVELOP those picks, and stay with them.  I keep saying this, but there is not 1 single player from the 2008 draft and prior.  There is 1 from the 2009 draft.  

The good teams have their bluechip players in their primes, which means 3-8 years of experience, from the 2006 - 2011 drafts.  

We have bupkis from those drafts.  Forget blue chip players, we have NO players from 2008 and before. 2009 only has Orakpo, and he's hurt now and will probably be gone also.

So, for me, fixing the coaching side is as important as fixing the player side, because we haven't shown the ability to pick players or develop them.  

Well you can't develop your picks when the picks were so questionable when they were picked that people were shaking their heads.  Of course they no longer are on the team, the picks didn't make sense the year they were picked.

I kind of agree...

If there was some BEASTLY, generational potential top guys...like Clowney or Suh or an Sean Taylor type...then yeah. But to my knowledge and understanding that's not there this year. OR if we were moving on from Griffin and there was a top 5 QB pick we absolutely wanted, but I don't think that's happening either.

I think for the health of this teams confidence and the locker room, a decent season and something to build on is going to be more important than drafting #6 or something. I think the biggest will be finishing strong, give this team a bit of momentum in their minds going into the next season.

I completely agree. 

The real question is going to be on the OL, if they need to go out and get a lot of starters.  That depends on if Moses, Long, Ribbs and Compton are seen as upgrades and future starters.  I don't know the answer to that.  But if you spend 2 3rd rounders on OL, then in the next draft, spend your 1st rounder on OL, you're almost giving up on one of your previous year's picks before he's even seen the field.

The good news is that it looks like the RB, WR, CB  and OLB spots are pretty much settled for the moment. So, they have to figure out starters at OL DL, S, and maybe ILB.

Really, really, really should have picked Watt instead of Kerrigan.  Kerrigan played the wrong position.  Shanahan blew it, from a tactical perspective.  He wanted to get a rusher across from Orakpo to take double teams.  Getting a second OLB was a stupid move.  Needed a pass-rushing DE.  Stick him opposite or in front of Orakpo, and then you're not forcing one of your 2 OLBs who specialize in pass rushing to drop into coverage half the time.  While Kerrigan is one of my favorite players, that pick was terrible. 

I have to say, that is the first reasoning I've read regarding the issue of taking Kerrigan over Watt that doesn't reek of 20/29 hindsight revisionist bashing of the pick but rather solid rationale that could've easily been realize at the time of the draft. Nice to read and I agree.

Also, I do kind of hope by next year we're maybe looking at one of Long or Ribs and Compton, or Moses being a legit solid starter so at most we end up having to only look at one spot on the o-line needing significant high round attention.

We have the potential that next year we're not as far off as we fear. Breeland helped that by showing up a bit.

We need one of our young guards to prove himself before the draft

We need one of our young tackles to prove himself before the draft

We need Philip Thomas to show if he can actually step up or not as an answer at SS before the draft

We need to see if Riley rights the ship or if Compton can actually be a player

We need to see if Murphey really is a legit starter on the outside, unless Rak comes back at around 5 mil

If they do....we go in needing a true 3-4 NT, a guard, a free safety, and a slot CB. Very doable, even with an early teens pick

If most of those don't give us confidence they can do the job, then we're hurting. So it's all about development to me this year. I want to see the young guys in at least when we are mathematically eliminated, if not sooner

I have to say, that is the first reasoning I've read regarding the issue of taking Kerrigan over Watt that doesn't reek of 20/29 hindsight revisionist bashing of the pick but rather solid rationale that could've easily been realize at the time of the draft. Nice to read and I agree.

Also, I do kind of hope by next year we're maybe looking at one of Long or Ribs and Compton, or Moses being a legit solid starter so at most we end up having to only look at one spot on the o-line needing significant high round attention.

We have the potential that next year we're not as far off as we fear. Breeland helped that by showing up a bit.

We need one of our young guards to prove himself before the draft

We need one of our young tackles to prove himself before the draft

We need Philip Thomas to show if he can actually step up or not as an answer at SS before the draft

We need to see if Riley rights the ship or if Compton can actually be a player

We need to see if Murphey really is a legit starter on the outside, unless Rak comes back at around 5 mil

If they do....we go in needing a true 3-4 NT, a guard, a free safety, and a slot CB. Very doable, even with an early teens pick

If most of those don't give us confidence they can do the job, then we're hurting. So it's all about development to me this year. I want to see the young guys in at least when we are mathematically eliminated, if not sooner

Great post. I agree. The SS/FS positions have to be solidified to allow guys to count on each other & communicate more effectively. It's been a revolving door back there for too many years. 

Assuming the OL on the team don't cut it, I think the Skins should be drafting OL based solely on their pass blocking abilities. Abandon the running game and make it nothing more than ~20 attempts per game to keep the defense honest. And I don't care if they average ~2.5 yards per attempt. 

It's a passing league where the offense players are favored by the rules of the NFL. And it just keeps getting more one-sided for the offense. Why run the ball? The Skins could have Joe Sak-o-feed as an RB if the OL could keep the defense off of the QB on pass plays. The offense should use the pass to setup the run, not the other way around. 

The interior of the Skins OL is horrendous. None of the 3 QBs have been able to step up in the pocket to get that extra bit of time to make a play. If the LG/C/RG could be upgraded the woeful play on the right edge would be minimized as the QB could step up to make a play. 

So just looked up something:

From 1971 to 1992 (22 years) this franchise had 18 winning seasons, 13 playoff appearances, 5 trips to the Super Bowl and 3 Super Bowl Titles

From 1993 to 2014 (22 years) this franchise has had 6 winning seasons, 4 playoff appearances, 0 trips to the Super Bowl and 0 Super Bowl Titles

So just looked up something:

From 1971 to 1992 (22 years) this franchise had 18 winning seasons, 13 playoff appearances, 5 trips to the Super Bowl and 3 Super Bowl Titles

From 1993 to 2014 (22 years) this franchise has had 6 winning seasons, 4 playoff appearances, 0 trips to the Super Bowl and 0 Super Bowl Titles

From the penthouse to the outhouse..

I am ready for the front office and coaching staff to come up with something innovative. Find a way to leverage the owner's wealth by investing in something at the organizational level. I don't know if that's a 300-person personnel department, advanced analytics, a brand new nutrition plan, a never-before-conceived weekly schedule to optimize time, or some combination of all of them. 

But wouldn't be refreshing to once again support a team that just seems to have the answers on and off the field? 

Archived