Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"We've been losing. What I want is for us to finish dead last."

zoony

So just looked up something:

From 1971 to 1992 (22 years) this franchise had 18 winning seasons, 13 playoff appearances, 5 trips to the Super Bowl and 3 Super Bowl Titles

From 1993 to 2014 (22 years) this franchise has had 6 winning seasons, 4 playoff appearances, 0 trips to the Super Bowl and 0 Super Bowl Titles

This is some unadulterated suckage for this franchise. I knew it was bad, but good grief. Also lost in that translation is the last time this team won 11+ games was the 1991 Super Bowl season. Let that one sink in.

This is some unadulterated suckage for this franchise. I knew it was bad, but good grief. Also lost in that translation is the last time this team won 11+ games was the 1991 Super Bowl season. Let that one sink in.

I became a fan of the Redskins when I was 10 which was 1996. So I've only seen 4 playoff appearances. What doesn't make any since to me is why after we make the playoffs one year, we are right back to being doormats? It's like a cruel joke. The playoff years feel so good and you think the team turned a corner and then we're right back to sucking. 

I became a fan of the Redskins when I was 10 which was 1996. So I've only seen 4 playoff appearances. What doesn't make any since to me is why after we make the playoffs one year, we are right back to being doormats? It's like a cruel joke. The playoff years feel so good and you think the team turned a corner and then we're right back to sucking. 

I was in 8th grade when we last won the Super Bowl and won 14 games(should have been 15-1 that season), and 10-6 before Gibbs retired. FA really hurt this team and some real bad drafts during those times. Man this makes me depressed now :(

We've been saying this for 20 years "we just need better coaching". Players make coaches and we need some young elite players talent wise on this team. You know where you find them? In the NFL draft.

Until we get talent on the team we'll continue to be a joke. No matter who we bring in to coach it won't matter until we find elite talent.

Only elite player we have on the team is Trent Williams and that's it, how do you expect to win if that is all you have?

(Elite = Top 5 at your position)

There is more talent on this team than what the record indicates. And DJax is definitely a top 5 receiver in the league, and by far the most dangerous deep threat.  

You don't have to have a ton of elite guys, you need to have a few elite guys, and a lot of VERY GOOD guys to complement them.  How many elite players do the Patriots have? 2.  Brady and Gronk.  Everybody else is VERY GOOD and well coached. 

How many elite players do the Eagles have? McCoy (though he's having a down year), Peters? Who else?  I'd argue they had 1.  Peters.  And everybody else is VERY GOOD and really well coached.

Dallas? romoSUCKS (maybe?), Bryant, Murray? Their OL is VERY GOOD, but are any of them Elite?  Before you answer that, remember that our chump of a DC confused the hell out of them about a week ago.  

Everybody loves to point to the draft as the savior of everything, when it's not.  It's a component of the talent acquisition.  And it's the most unpredictable.  You never REALLY know whether you're getting Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf.  Seems obvious now, right? But it wasn't so obvious back in 1998.  Teams, even good teams with outstanding GMs, miss on draft picks all the time.

Remember who the GM was for the Chargers?  Bobby Beathard.  The same guy who architected the 'Skins dynasty in the 80's.  One of the biggest mistakes in the history of the draft, because of what they gave up to get Leaf.  (And I REALLY hope that we're not living the second coming of that with Griffin. Because at the moment, the similarities are really mindblowing: Indy picks a guy #1, another team trades a bunch of picks to pick the other guy. Indy looks like a genius, the other guy looks silly.)

And we've been getting pretty good production out of the draft since 2010:

2010: Williams and Perry Riley are both starters. (Say what you want about Riley, but he's a 4th round pick who's playing, and is contributing.

2011: Kerrigan, Jenkins, Hankerson (PUP), Helu, Niles Paul,  ARobinson are all ont eh team, and contributing at different levels.  Helu on down are 4th round an lower, so getting production from those guys is good.

2012: Griffin, Ribbs, Cousins, Morris, Compton. The biggest wiff here (so far) is Ribbs.  3rd round pick who can't get in the game in year 3.  Otherwise, Morris is a stud, and Compton is now the starting RT as a 6th round pick.  And he looked better than Polumbus.

2013: Amerson and Reed are good.  Jenkins is still around as a 5th round pick. This year's later picks have been a disappointment.  Thomas and Thompson are on the PS.

2014. Basically too early to tell, but Breeland looks like a steel in the 4th, Murphy is playing better as a starter than he did as a backup. The other guys all get an incomplete.

The real problem with the draft is that we've whiffed a lot on OL in the mid-late rounds, which is where you should be able to get OG and C.  And apart from Trent, we haven't spent a 1st rounder on an OL.  And every attempt to fix the Safety spot has been a disaster.

There's enough talent on this team to be competitive week in, week out. There could be more talent.  But there's enough talent to be competitive.  The problem is that, especially on defense, it's horribly coached.  

I hope we compete. I'm hoping we win out but realistically I just want to see what our young players have - Breeland, Amerson, K Robinson, Jarvis Jenkins, etc...

I want to see if RG3 can regain his form in the remaining games of the season. If not, we should start planning what our options are.

That goes for Leonard Hankerson, Aldrick Robinson, Roy Helu, Perry Riley, Bowen, and Jenkins - whther thay are worth resigning or let go next year. Also I want to see if our rookies Silas Redd, Ryan Grant, M Moses and Chris Long can be effective starters/backups.

So I'm hoping our young players perform well.

Let me save most of you the trouble of responding.  Choose one of the following:

[ ] What kind of fan wants us to lose?  It's only week 4!  We can still win a few games and make a run!  You suck as a fan

[ ] lol save Griffin lol what kind of idea is that lol let's think about that logic lol

[ ] It's Dan Snyder's fault, we need a real GM

[ ] I think that Cousins guy might not be so good

[ ] Leave Cousins alone!

[ ] Fine, leave Griffin alone!

[ ] You're an idiot

After week 3 we've been playing for draft picks.

yeah, it was a great run in the 70s & a dream run in the 80s-1991... and then wham!!!! What the ....

I always admire the younger Redskins fans who have never got to feel that exhilaration... to experience a Super Bowl or even a Conference Championship game and still love the Redskins. It makes me angry that ya'll have been deprived because of so much ineptness. At least I have those great memories.

It is a cruel joke...Like you, I always thought we were turning the corner after those 4 playoff appearances... I guess, because my first 25 years we were almost always competitive and some teams literally great, all these years later I'm still in shock that we haven't turned this thing around... like a person that has lost a dear friend but inexplicably still expects them to walk through the door once again...or a parent that keeps their deceased child's bedroom exactly like it was the last time they saw them..

Ultimately, this reflects poorly on Dan Snyder being owner, as it should. It all goes back to him, and I stand by the fact that he is the source of the piss poor performance of this franchise since he's been owner. Mismanagement and all. For me, it's come to the conclusion that we will never be a good franchise who consistently competes until he is gone, and regardless of whoever disagrees I'm sticking to it. Men lie women lie, the numbers don't.

The day he does sell the franchise ( which unfortunately he won't unless someone big pays for it ) to a person with one: passion for the nfl and two: some where with all of managing and assembling a team and actually build a front office, will be the day of praise and glory for us Redskins fans. And then this clown on top of it has absolutely horrible PR skills. I'm baffled at the fact he's as rich as he is being a marketing tycoon.

Ultimately, this reflects poorly on Dan Snyder being owner, as it should. It all goes back to him, and I stand by the fact that he is the source of the piss poor performance of this franchise since he's been owner. Mismanagement and all. For me, it's come to the conclusion that we will never be a good franchise who consistently competes until he is gone, and regardless of whoever disagrees I'm sticking to it. Men lie women lie, the numbers don't.

The day he does sell the franchise ( which unfortunately he won't unless someone big pays for it ) to a person with one: passion for the nfl and two: some where with all of managing and assembling a team and actually build a front office, will be the day of praise and glory for us Redskins fans. And then this clown on top of it has absolutely horrible PR skills. I'm baffled at the fact he's as rich as he is being a marketing tycoon.

I'll be long dead by then....

• 2 weeks later...

Magic 8 Ball says .. "Your chances are looking good."

Honestly, across the whole team, I've seen Pee Wee teams with 6 year olds barely out of diapers and making mud pies on the sidelines, play better than this team did this today. And these guys are allegedly "professionals."

See, this is exactly why the OP was correct.  This team can't compete on a consistent basis with ANYONE.  Sure, sometimes they get up and steal a win especially when they shouldn't but what team in the NFL doesn't do that?  Look at the RAMS.  They suck, but they smacked up the Broncos today.  It happens.  But nine times out of ten, the Broncos win that game.  That is the Redskins in a nutshell.  Once in a while they can win a few games but over the course of an entire season this is the result you should expect.  

Where does the blame fall?  I've got my opinions but that's for another thread altogether.

Zoony I am with you for the rest of the season.  I want the team to loose the remainder of this years games 100 - 0 or more.  The team is awful and I am sick and ****ing tired of mediocre to be our teams highlight years.  The only way to cure the cancer that our team has it to acknowledge that major not minor changes are needed starting with the owner!  This has 0% chance of happening so long as Snyder thinks we are only a couple players or another coach away.

If folks refuse to show up for the games this will hurt Snyder in the only place that seems to catch his attention - his wallet.

What was worse: having Eli boat race us on Thursday night earlier this season, or this?  Probably this because at least the Skins showed some life in that game before Captain Kirk became color blind.

Scary thing is that the Skins appeared content to run the ball out at the end of the first half but then Tampa's D got too aggressive and we were able to take advantage. If not for that, Skins may have easily been shut out at home to a one-win team that is now....hold on to your hats......only two games out of first in the dreadful NFC South.

Such similarities to last year......Skins win an OT thriller to get to 3-5, then are handling business at Minnesota but then let the game get away, and then don't bother to show up for the next game (well, they did a little last year at Philly, but far too late).

I doubt we go 3-13 again but its far from an unreasonable prediction.  How embarrassing.

Well my guess is 2 more wins this year - we sendup 5-11 and get around the 8th pick in the draft. 

If I were running the team that pick would be traded to a team with a younger top tier Guard and a low round pick.

To fix this team 3 things need to happen not specifically in this order

Fix the OL and DL - you win in the trenches

Bring in a Real GM and go all out on staffing the front office - spend 2-3 million more then the next team on the FO and get the best people out there 

Make the Coaches - Offense and Defense  understand as Gibbs learned - that he doesn't have the players to run "his" offense or "his" defense  and they needs to run what works best with the current roster. You cannot make a player that is awful at playing zone defense but not awful at playing Man to Man, play Zone - or force a player at QB that is NOT a pocket passer to play out of the pocket. 

And this time our objective is what? Replacing a coordinator.

For me it is the scouting department and a general manager who can assemble a team like Beathard from our past and Newsome in Baltimore. Haslett would not survive the changes I want. I'm fine with Bruce Allen as president and organizer of pancake socials for the alumni but we need a general manager who specializes in personnel.

Archived