Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"We've been losing. What I want is for us to finish dead last."

zoony

I'm open to a QB being drafted. I'm also open to other positions. I just think its dumb to draft anything but a LT for lineman in the top 5. And we already have one of the best LT in the game.

Lane Johnson, Eagles, RT last year's #4 pick overall

DJ Fluker, Chargers RT 2013 #11 pick overall

Andre Smith, Bengals RT, 2009 #6 pick overall

Anthony Davis, 49ers RT 2010 #11 pick overall

No guarantees we're in the top five.  We have a tendency to win meaningless games late in the season.

Well the question is dumb because you have the same problem that the front office has.  You think one draft can fix the team.

I would draft lineman primarily.  I don't know who my first pick would be.  I wouldn't draft a first round quarterback.  We are too much of a mess to bring in another rookie QB.

I would tbh. We could get a top linemen in the 2nd round especially since we'll have a high round draft pick. There are plenty of OL to go around.

I'm not opposed to it tho considering the Cowturds drafted well in the line too.

I'm open to a QB being drafted. I'm also open to other positions. I just think its dumb to draft anything but a LT for lineman in the top 5. And we already have one of the best LT in the game.

that's true, but he's going to demand a monster contract next season and the majority of our roster is garbage.

I wouldn't take LT off the table. It sucks, but when you trade away your 1rst rounder for years, while being handy capped with the penalty, you don't have the liberty of paying your premium players, if you can competently replace them. Of course that's a big if with this teams questionable drafts.

There are plenty on this board that think we are a safety away from a championship.  Plenty here would use a first rounder on a safety.  That is scary.

No the point is we aren't a safety away...nor a QB away.  But we need talent everywhere.  We need to start infusing talent on this team.  We wouldn't have drafted Taylor if the requirement was that 'we're a safety away from a championship'.  

that's true, but he's going to demand a monster contract next season and the majority of our roster is garbage.

I wouldn't take LT off the table. It sucks, but when you trade away your 1rst rounder for years, while being handy capped with the penalty, you don't have the liberty of paying your premium players, if you can competently replace them. Of course that's a big if with this teams questionable drafts.

And drafting another good LT gives you leverage so you can't be held hostage in negotiations.  It'd suck if Trent left or we couldn't come to an agreement...but we'd have a plan B.  Right now our Plan B is Morgan freaking Moses

I wouldn't put any position other than punter or kicker off the table.  Considering that this team got essentially nothing for our last two first rounders (the ones that were spent in the RG3 trade), getting competent guards or safeties would be fine with me. 

Stick with Best Player Available. That got us Trent Murphy this year even though people on the board screamed that we already had Orakpo and what we really needed was a stud tackle like Moses. Well, Trent had a huge impact today and has really improved. I thought San Fran might big-boy our defense but Trent was a stone wall. And looking back now Moses slipped for a reason; he's not a knee bender and Rak is hurt for the 3rd time in 5 years.

Ideally, we need a top five pick that we can turn into many more picks. We need lots and lots of draft picks to make up for 2012.

I'm a huge fan of Winston as a football player and QB. He's a pro style QB with the ability to read a defense and throw a guy open. Tough minded and resilient. But I would not touch him in the first round. His off the field decisions scare the crap out of me. Stealing crabs? And standing on a table saying something about a girl after having been accused of rape? I would let him slide to make sure that he understands he needs to be on his best behavior. You don't draft him high because he strikes me as the type to feel entitled. And we're dealing with that now! No more drama please.

we don't need to trade back and pass up top draft talent, just to get bench warmers again. Last year we passed on starting linemen, to get two back ups. I'd rather get one starter.

Murphy will replace Rak next year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Winston ends up in jail, before he plays a snap. When he gets to the NFL and plays against real competition, who will that jackwagon handle it. He's talented and has the tools, but he is a child.

Yea that's madness.

Wouldn't even bother taking a Safety until the 2nd round, maybe even third.

Seattle's defense works because of Earl Thomas. Their conrners can play aggressive directly because of their safety play. Safety is a crucial position. Do you think mike freaking Evans runs deep freely if you have a safety like that. We now have two big aggressive corners, we absolutely need a great safety or they can't play the way the excel. Poor safety play is responsible for our record as any other position.

I would be okay with a first and a second on our OLine. Put two starters in there.

I kind of feel like the defense is going to take years. But with the skill positions on O they could be serviceable with even a journeyman QB like Colt

Pay Trent, draft a RT and RG in the top two rounds, I think we could have a serviceable OLine. Let lavaou, Leribus, and Long battle for LG

Who cares about center. Kory is fine there.

Spend the rest of the draft on defense

You mean 7-3?  Talking about shaking my head.  BTW, the niners are 7-4 and not happy with their QB play.  What you got?

I don't understand what  you are saying.

Are you saying you don't want a franchise QB on the roster?

Are you saying we should continue to play average-at-best quarterbacks?

Are you saying we should draft all positions except the QB?

I have never said one draft will fix this team. And you keep dodging my question because you know your entire argument is crap.

Thanks for playing.

Because it is an idiotic question.  It's idiotic because only an idiot would think the first pick of next years draft has any relevance to the issues surrounding this team.

We need a plan, which includes personnel guys, and strategy, and building a roster.  Dan Snyder wants to pick next years number 1.  So do you.

Because it is an idiotic question.  It's idiotic because only an idiot would think the first pick of next years draft has any relevance to the issues surrounding this team.

We need a plan, which includes personnel guys, and strategy, and building a roster.  Dan Snyder wants to pick next years number 1.  So do you.

What the **** are you talking about? You wanna talk about personnel guys and strategy, feel free to go to a thread talking about it. Do you see anyone arguing that we don't need to change our FO structure? You are pretty much arguing with yourself. Do you see what the conversation in this thread has been about? It's about bottoming out as a franchise and the benefits of gaining a high draft pick. And those of us who understand the purpose of the thread are discussing the implications of picking different positions with this high draft pick. You on the other hand are completely lost and clueless as usual and rambling about things that have no relevance to the topic of this thread.

You cannot win in the NFL without good QB play. Teams seemingly find good lineman prospects in the 2nd and 3rd round, even beyond that. 

We have Trent Williams as a solid LT. Are we seriously going to draft a G, C or RT with a top 5 pick? That's border line insane and a total waste of a high draft pick. You have to have more faith in your scouting department and coaching staff to take a high 2nd or 3rd rounder and mold him into a good lineman. Didn't we just invest a 2nd and 3rd round pick in a T and G this draft?

The thread is about finishing dead last to get a top pick.  This is on topic?

The thread is about finishing dead last to get a top pick.  This is on topic?

Sure. I am pondering what we do with a top 5 pick we get from tanking this year. And I think the best course is to be as bad as possible to get highest possible draft pick, to have a shot at the best QB prospect. You wanna talk about the benefits of a top 5 pick, feel free to do so with me. Otherwise, please refrain from making up imaginary debates with other posters.

Sure. I am pondering what we do with a top 5 pick we get from tanking this year. And I think the best course is to be as bad as possible to get highest possible draft pick, to have a shot at the best QB prospect. You wanna talk about the benefits of a top 5 pick, feel free to do so with me. Otherwise, please refrain from making up imaginary debates with other posters.

I already said I wouldn't draft a QB.  We don't have a foundation where any QB would succeed here.

I already said I wouldn't draft a QB.  We don't have a foundation where any QB would succeed here.

The QB can sit out a year while you develop the rest of the team around him. But if you have a shot at a high quality QB, it shouldn't be dismissed immediately that you draft him. At worst, it saves you from having to trade multiple draft picks in the future for a QB you like but don't have a shot at due to your draft position.

The QB can sit out a year while you develop the rest of the time around him. But if you have a shot at a high quality QB, it shouldn't be dismissed immediately that you draft him. At worst, it saves you from having to trade multiple draft picks in the future for a QB you like but don't have a shot at due to your draft position.

There in lies the issue

The Shanny's totally botched 2010 and 2011 and goofed up our draft position going into the 2012 draft, forcing the mega trade to get Griffin.

If the team has a shot at Jameis Winston and feels he is the guy, take him. If not, we can trade down, build the lines and a D and all that good stuff and pray for a Russel Wilson miracle in 2018. Without that we'll be stuck in 6-10 to 9-7 hell and repeat the cycle again when our QB play is completely subpar

Since Heath Shuler in 1994, we've drafted 3 QBs in the first round. Only one of them was a top 5 pick. We mostly recycle other teams junk.

Which means we've done it 4 times in 20 years.

Meanwhile the Colts did it twice

Packers  once

Steelers once

Patriots not at all

and all those teams have had 2 long term franchise QBs

In fact I'll check the list and I'm almost sure we've drafted close to the most 1st round QB's since 1994. Who else has 4?

Archived