Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"We've been losing. What I want is for us to finish dead last."

zoony

Never want to see a team tank for a draft pick. They get paid to win, not lose to set the team up for a better pick. I would question the heart of anyone who purposefully fails at their job, and I wouldn't want a player who is capable of that mindset anywhere near our team.

We're almost certainly getting a top 5 pick without guys throwing the season anyway. I'm not a big college football follower, but I don't think this year's draft class will have such a big difference in talent from the 1st through 5th picks (though I do understand the potential for moving the 1st for more picks may be better).  

Never want to see a team tank for a draft pick. They get paid to win, not lose to set the team up for a better pick. I would question the heart of anyone who purposefully fails at their job, and I wouldn't want a player who is capable of that mindset anywhere near our team.

Colts disagree with you, and if we had done the same thing we would have drafted RG3 without having to pay a king's ransom. Sometimes it's better to make one step backward in order to make a few forward.

Colts disagree with you, and if we had done the same thing we would have drafted RG3 without having to pay a king's ransom. Sometimes it's better to make one step backward in order to make a few forward.

You don't lose on purpose in week 7 of a football season. The colts didn't do that that early and no team in the past 50 yrs has done that. There IS a time and place to do that but it's never in the first half of a season. You people make me laugh. There are people's jobs on the line. Players, coaches, front office. Nobody not the colts nobody loses on purpose this early in the football season. Only an owner can make that call and even still the coaches and players would likely IGNOrE him if that early in the season.

You don't lose on purpose in week 7 of a football season. The colts didn't do that that early and no team in the past 50 yrs has done that. There IS a time and place to do that but it's never in the first half of a season. You people make me laugh. There are people's jobs on the line. Players, coaches, front office. Nobody not the colts nobody loses on purpose this early in the football season. Only an owner can make that call and even still the coaches and players would likely IGNOrE him if that early in the season.

What do you mean "you people"?

Dude, if you don't think the Colts didn't tank all season long to get Luck then maybe we were watching different teams.  It was disgustingly obvious.  

Personally, I want us to try to win.  But I do see the other side of the argument.

Ask Irsay, they were 0-7 after week 7, their fisrt win came during week 15 !

Every body was raving about Luck, saying he is a once in a lifetime QB and even more talented than Peyton.

Dude, if you don't think the Colts didn't tank all season long to get Luck then maybe we were watching different teams.  It was disgustingly obvious.  

Personally, I want us to try to win.  But I do see the other side of the argument.

Oh, they were. They definately were tanking, but not in week 7.

Who you get in the draft is based a lot on luck. I keep talking about JJ Watt who is the DMVP and he was #11 in the draft. S. Taylor was #5. Kiko Alonso is looking like a dominant LB for Buffalo and he was a 2nd rounder.

The season is about developing the players you've got. Once the season is over its about finding ways to improvethe team based on how players are progressing/regressing and who's available. If we can hae 10-12 picks in the 2015 draft then it'll increase our chances of finding a gem then I also look for us to have 2-3 UDFAs to also make the roster.

If you look at Seattle, the latest SB winner, they didn't spend any years in the gutter. They built their team through the draft and UDFA.

Who you get in the draft is based a lot on luck. I keep talking about JJ Watt who is the DMVP and he was #11 in the draft. S. Taylor was #5. Kiko Alonso is looking like a dominant LB for Buffalo and he was a 2nd rounder.

The season is about developing the players you've got. Once the season is over its about finding ways to improvethe team based on how players are progressing/regressing and who's available. If we can hae 10-12 picks in the 2015 draft then it'll increase our chances of finding a gem then I also look for us to have 2-3 UDFAs to also make the roster.

If you look at Seattle, the latest SB winner, they didn't spend any years in the gutter. They built their team through the draft and UDFA.

I really wanted us to draft JJ back then, my thought was this guy will be more dominant than Urlacher on defense.

Agree with what you said about Seattle, they were lucky or smart to draft Wilson. In the back of my mind there is still 4 Aderall DBs, lingering too, those guys being the main reason they won the SB. This year they lost a couple of them and stand at 3-3.

I really wanted us to draft JJ back then, my thought was this guy will be more dominant than Urlacher on defense.

Agree with what you said about Seattle, they were lucky or smart to draft Wilson. In the back of my mind there is still 4 Aderall DBs, lingering too, those guys being the main reason they won the SB. This year they lost a couple of them and stand at 3-3.

Why would you compare Watt to Urlacher? Kind of a weird comparison, seeing as they play totally different positions (in college and the NFL) and Urlacher was already pretty washed up when Watt was drafted.

Why would you compare Watt to Urlacher? Kind of a weird comparison, seeing as they play totally different positions (in college and the NFL) and Urlacher was already pretty washed up when Watt was drafted.

I know one is a LB the other a DE. I was comparing them for the leadership, talent, reliability, someone you can count on to build a defense around.

The Colts didn't go out and sign 1/2 the free agents available either. If we'd just own up to how bad we suck and BUILD a team first, then go after the Free Agents when we can win, then we wouldn't have to tank anything but our FO blows 2/3s the salary cap just trying to make us 5-11 to 8-8. Then not only did we blow the cap on Free Agents but then we have to trade 3 drafts away to pick our QB.

Now that totally makes sense, right?

Oh, they were. They definately were tanking, but not in week 7.

Because they sucked. If we were the Colts then the Colts would've traded a 1st and 2nd for somebodys QB when Manning went down and we'd have already signed as many free agents as we could. The Colts didn't do any of that.

We're almost certainly getting a top 5 pick without guys throwing the season anyway. I'm not a big college football follower, but I don't think this year's draft class will have such a big difference in talent from the 1st through 5th picks (though I do understand the potential for moving the 1st for more picks may be better).

Play the young guys and develop them. The losing will take care of itself

Play the young guys and develop them. The losing will take care of itself

We should deinitely play the young guys, but we've got to hold everybody accountable. So Cousins is the young guy, but he needed to be benched today because he was hindering the development of the rest of our team, and he was shaking his own confidence. 

We need to play our young guys, but I don't want our team looking like the senior bowl out there. The good thing about this team is that we have a number of young guys out there who are getting playing time 

Offense: Reed, Paul, Morris, Helu, T.Compton, 

Defense: K.Robinson, W.Compton, Breeland, Amerson, T.Robinson, Murphy, Jeffcoat, Kearse, Jenkins

Part of this is due to injury, but I like that they're getting opportunities to make plays and making the coaches really have to think about putting their starters back in there. I'd honestly like to see Grant get more playing time over Roberts moving forward because I have been unimpressed with Roberts since his first two games.

But we need to have a balance between playing the best players and developing our youth. 

If we're not going to make the playoffs, I'd rather bottom out the rest of the season. I promise you the few meaningless wins we get will mean nothing and will be forgetten when draft time rolls around.

Are there any once-in-a-lifetime draft prospects this coming draft, say like Luck, Clowney?

I promise you the few meaningless wins we get will mean nothing and will be forgetten when draft time rolls around.

Exactly, who thinks the 2011 win over the Rams and last minute fg win over the Cardinals is worth 2 additional #1 picks and a 2nd for RG3?

Agree, Griffin, Williams and Kerrigan are not bad. Rak had a couple good years, but don't tell GHH that, he may seek his unicorn on you.

Good news today is that we won. Bad news is that we defeated a team that may pick before us and have similar needs.

I doubt it, TEN has been investing heavily in their OL in recent years.

Because you'd rather them win 4-5 games than 2?

If that's what it leads to, then yeah. I want my young guys to learn to win games and to develop as players. Winning 1/2 games can lead to coaching or coordinator changes which can stunt the development of youth. The more consistency we can get, the better, the less it becomes about thinking and more about just reacting.

I really think this "worse record / higher pick" mentality I'd sing because it rewards losing so fans celebrate losing.

That top pick is one player, and unless it's Peyton Manning, he's not going to turn the franchise around. Look at Houston. Look at st. Louis. Look at Cleveland. Look at Detroit. Those trans all went through abysmal seasons and what do they have to show for it?

No, we need to be focusing on developing our players and trying to win games.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for Long, time for Redd, time for Thomas and time to continue to play RGIII.

For me, RGIII has to show he is the long term answer for this franchise.  For me, he has to show he can read NFL defenses like a franchise QB.  We need talent available at the top of the rounds.

And lastly, if Bridgewater can get that accuracy issue down, he is showing more promise than our QB.

Lastly, the defense collapsed again.  People have commented enough about it already.

Archived