Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Merged - Per WP & Schefter, Jay Gruden is new Redskins HC

hail2skins

How Jim Haslett remains employed is beyond belief! Unless the story is true about Haslet not having any say in the defense under Shanahan.

He potentially was damaging his career then by choosing to remain under those circumstances.  Cuz if they hadn't gotten a Haslett-friendly guy and he got canned, his Redskins tenure would stick out like a sore thumb.  He got lucky.  

I am not seeing conspiracy either.  I just hope they just didn't hire their buddy thinking that he is the right guy for the job and that their judgement is not clouded because he is their buddy.

I hear what you are saying, but my litmus is he was a legitimate candidate for several other openings. It's not like they hired someone no one was even sniffing at just because they knew him. Again, he is a legitimate candidate by any reasonable measure.

This is my concern. It appears as though Gruden may have been told who his coordinators were going to be. At least on the offensive side of the ball.

I was under the impression that Gruden and McVay are familiar with each other.  That Gruden actually wanted McVay to come to Cincinnati at one point.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000311077/article/jay-gruden-washington-redskins-finalize-deal

NFL.com is still reporting Hue Jackson is still a candidate to run the offense.

Rapoport also was told that Raheem Morris is being eyed as defensive coordinator while Hue Jackson is a candidate to run the offense. Morris, Washington's defensive backs coach over the past two seasons, was kept around after Shanahan's dismissal for a reason, according to Rapoport.

Well, what I hoped for was a young guy hoping to make his name. Check.

A guy who if he was a coordinator led the opposite unit of his HC. That way we would have a better idea if it was him or the boss. Check.

I wanted a college guy or a coordinator who was never an nfl HC before. Check.

So, a lot if my boxes were checked. Will not be happy about keeping Haslett and Morris though. Mind you, it is good for a rookie HC to have a grizzled coach on his staff, I guess.

Not really upset that Allen chose a guy he knew. That's pretty much how the NFL works and just maybe the insight is to our advantage.

Don't really know how I feel about this. Didn't care much for his playcalling in Cincinnati. But we shall see I guess. And I may be in the minority on this but I like Haslett, honestly he hasnt been given a whole lot to work with. Get him some better players, especially in the secondary and let's see what he can do.

like hiring your son? we all saw how that worked. problem is, if it doesnt pan out, its too awkward to fire your friends/family. hire the most qualified person not people your are comfortable with.

All franchises do this. Every time a coach is hired the media brings up a list of people that coach might hire because they are familiar   with them and worked with before and they are usually right

He potentially was damaging his career then by choosing to remain under those circumstances.  Cuz if they hadn't gotten a Haslett-friendly guy and he got canned, his Redskins tenure would stick out like a sore thumb.  He got lucky.  

Not really, his Defense has been poor most of his career as a DC.  He still gets jobs despite it not because of.  Who you know not what you know or what you can really do.

BA might have not been telling Skins fan the truth.

London Fletcher ‏@LFletcher59 2m

Job was Gruden's to lose from the start, keeping some of staff saves Skins $, Allen always knew who he wanted!

Hadn't thought of it like that, but that makes a lot of sense and explains why the money wasn't necessarily an issue in firing Shanahan and his staff.  

For the record I'm not a Haslett guy either. But the fact that he was retained by Bruce Allen tells me there is a lot more to the story than "why doesn't his CBs play more press coverage?"

Now, could it be the wrong decision? Yes. We will see. It is Bruce's decision to make and he is owning this. I will guarantee you though that Hasletts success will be determined by Scott Campbell and Morocco Brown.

Also, look on the bright side. If Snyder was running things he would fire Haslett to placate the fanbase. This is a clear sign that things are different.

In the meantime, all of you need to quit whining about Haslett.

As a Haslett whiner  myself, that was pretty well said...

Archived