Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Merged - Per WP & Schefter, Jay Gruden is new Redskins HC

hail2skins

Wow, London Fletcher has found his twitter button.

He doesn't seem to think much of Haslett.  "Defensive struggles were not solely on salary cap", followed by "I think Morris as DC would be great choice!"

He's saying a lot there.

I read it different (This is why text conversations often struggle to be "real", so many different interpretations).

I get the feeling that London is blaming the problem on Shanahan, not Haslett. But London and whoever he's actually told are the only people who know.

What a clown organization this is.  Jay brings absolutely nothing to the table.  The fact that he didn't even interview with the Vikings, preferred the Titans job as his #1 proves to me this franchise is still ran by Dan.  It's amazing how many people will continue to defend him and throw the biggest line of BS of them all "Dan isn't involved in football decisions anymore" Bruce was nothing more then a middleman to take the fall for the hire if its bad.

That was a leak to force the Redskins hand. I felt that way yesterday, and I still feel that way. Negotiating 101. From what I hear, the Titans were very interested, but he did not prefer the Titans job. That was a pretty transparent negotiating ploy yesterday, IMO. 

And if Dan were in charge, we would have ended up with the other Gruden or Cowher, IMO.

just look at his brother Jon, he's a Kirk Cousins guy as well. I don't like this hire at all

My sister is a 49ers fan.  So I guess that makes me a dirty traitor.

Feel free to not like the hire.  Just pick a better reason.

( ) Bruce Allen Crony Move

( ) Gruden's inability to develop his QB in Cincy

( ) Retaining Old defensive staff

( ) Whisenhunt never got an interview even with a glowing Gibbs endorsement

I'm genuinely curious, who would you have preferred for HC? Like who, when announced, would you have thought "That was a good choice"?

Bill O' Brien, James Franklin, Lovie Smith.  Lovie Smith because of the defense he brings to the table (our biggest talent weakness).  I felt our offense wasn't an issue at all.  We were 1 #2 WR away from being solid on O with the exception of a few Olinemen.  Now we bring in Jay.  I've said before Jay Gruden on hardknocks did not see like a leader to me.  No fire whatsoever.  And like I said, the fact that he didn't interview for the Vikings tomorrow means to me that Dan threw money at him like he standing on a stripper poll.  That what that shows me.  Where was the big process Bruce told us about?  It was never about a process, it was about waiting until Jay was free to interview all along.  Big puppet show this franchise is.

Earlier this season, when Dalton was putting up big numbers, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that Gruden was “instrumental” in drafting Dalton in 2011, doing so over the objections of owner Mike Brown, who wanted Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett.

However, Brown told the Cincinnati Enquirer last week that he lobbied for Colin Kaepernick on draft day before ultimately deferring to his offensive coordinator, who selected Dalton.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

So whose mistake was it? According to the Cincinnati Enquirer, it was a mistake made by Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden. The Enquirer reports that Bengals owner Mike Brown was pushing for Kaepernick, but Gruden said Dalton was the better fit for the Bengals’ offense, and so Brown went along with Gruden’s recommendation.

I like this guy,” Brown said of Kaepernick, according to the report. “He has unusual mobility.”

Gruden replied, “I want Dalton. He fits what I want to do.

I think this is worked out in the interview.  They are not bringing in a coach with a ready-made QB controversy.  That would be stupid.

Maybe, just maybe, we fans are the ones hung up on RG3 as the franchise player? Oh I'd keep both and develop them but as an owner (DS) at this point with all the failures at QB drafting that you have had?..... no way would I sell my soul for one kid. Yeah they gave up a ton to get him but that was just to move up to the #2 spot. But as a fan I hope to hell the owner, GM, and HC are not sitting on RG3 and RG3 never pans out. Just use the best player thats all I want. Cause that player will have the better chance. 

Earlier this season, when Dalton was putting up big numbers, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that Gruden was “instrumental” in drafting Dalton in 2011, doing so over the objections of owner Mike Brown, who wanted Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett.

However, Brown told the Cincinnati Enquirer last week that he lobbied for Colin Kaepernick on draft day before ultimately deferring to his offensive coordinator, who selected Dalton.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

To be fair, Kaep coming out of college was a pretty big project where Dalton was somebody expected to start pretty early, even though he was limited. 

You can't look at their careers now and evaluate that move. 

just look at his brother Jon, he's a Kirk Cousins guy as well. I don't like this hire at all

No. Jon has been big on RG3 prior to him coming out and while he has been with us. Just because he feels Kirk is also good doesn't mean he's a Kirk guy. RG3 is going to be Jay's guy moving forward.

Jay Gruden said he didn't want Colin Kaep because he didn't fit his system. RGIII and Kaep have similar attributes. I don't think the drama is over at all. KIrk Cousins will probably be the starter

Colin has accuracy issues though. RG3 doesn't have those. I brought this up in the other thread that at the draft Gruden said he liked Dalton's accuracy on short and intermediate passes. THat's probably what the owner was talking about in preferring Dalton over Kaep.

So it seems. Not excited about this hire, not even a little. Hope I'm wrong.

Yeah, neither am I.  But think about it.  We've been all Psyched up about every hire before and look how it turned out.  Maybe this will change our fate.  I just hope Gruden got concessions from Dan to stay out of Football operations.  No private dinners with players, no stupid ideas on free agents to sign or draft (like that great player that he saw in the Chainsaw bowl), and no interference on who sits and who plays!

So whose mistake was it? According to the Cincinnati Enquirer, it was a mistake made by Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden. The Enquirer reports that Bengals owner Mike Brown was pushing for Kaepernick, but Gruden said Dalton was the better fit for the Bengals’ offense, and so Brown went along with Gruden’s recommendation.

I like this guy,” Brown said of Kaepernick, according to the report. “He has unusual mobility.”

Gruden replied, “I want Dalton. He fits what I want to do.

So what's wrong here? A coach wanted a guy that fits his system. And honestly, Kap has been good, but has he been that much better than Dalton? I don't really think so. Look at their numbers this year and you'll see Dalton had by far the better regular season.

I read it different (This is why text conversations often struggle to be "real", so many different interpretations).

I get the feeling that London is blaming the problem on Shanahan, not Haslett. But London and whoever he's actually told are the only people who know.

I thought that too til I saw the recommendation for Morris as DC. Does that mean anything?

is anybody else worried about the ages of our head coach (46), rumored offensive coordinator (27), and rumored defensive coordinator (37)? seems like a very young staff to me but i guess if things work out they could be here a long time.

It's a young man's game. Doesn't bother me at all as long as everyone is qualified

Archived