Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Merged - Per WP & Schefter, Jay Gruden is new Redskins HC

hail2skins

Andy Pollin this morning said "two weeks ago, Jay Gruden was not thought of as a hot candidate."

Andy, now you know why you've been relegated to a station nobody can hear.

Schefter also reporting Whis has three interviews over the next three days starting with Lions today Titans tomorrow Browns Saturday. When does he have time to prepare for Denver?

With the caveat that none of us truly know jack about coordinators ability to transition to HC, I will say that he has always been my preference. Andy Dalton is extremely limited and he is pretty soft-yet the Bengals offense was generally highly competent. Given two really gifted weapons (Green and Bernard) Gruden did very well with both of them.

I also like his demeanor. If you watched Hard Knocks he was clearly a very strong presence. I think he will command the locker room. I almost view him as a bit of an offensive version of Rex Ryan, which isn't a bad thing at all.

Does he know how to choose and maintain a staff? Is he too emotional? Will he handle pressure and the press well? Many questions that are crucial where we simply won't know.

But given all the options, I am most intrigued by him.

Much rather have zimmer if I was to pick a coach from the bengals

Rumors have always been that he interviews terribly and is pretty stiff and rigid. Maybe not the best personality for a HC. Who knows, but I'm a little scared away by him. I think Gruden is more dynamic--more upside there.

With the caveat that none of us truly know jack about coordinators ability to transition to HC, I will say that he has always been my preference. Andy Dalton is extremely limited and he is pretty soft-yet the Bengals offense was generally highly competent. Given two really gifted weapons (Green and Bernard) Gruden did very well with both of them.

I also like his demeanor. If you watched Hard Knocks he was clearly a very strong presence. I think he will command the locker room. I almost view him as a bit of an offensive version of Rex Ryan, which isn't a bad thing at all.

Does he know how to choose and maintain a staff? Is he too emotional? Will he handle pressure and the press well? Many questions that are crucial where we simply won't know.

But given all the options, I am most intrigued by him.

I dislike Gruden's tendency as a coordinator to lean on the pass 54-55% of the time in each season. Especially considering his quarterback was Andy Dalton. I'm also not a big fan of the run game he does produce. Cedric Benson had 1067 yards in 2011, averaging 3.9/carry. That was also the team ypc average. In 2012, BJGE had 1,094 yards averaging 3.9 ypc, the team average was 4.1, which is a little better. This season, his top back, BJGE had 756 yards and 3.4/carry. His new toy Bernard had 695 with 4.1/carry. The team, though averaged just 3.6 yards per carry.

It's not fair to judge a guy's head coaching ability on his coordinator ability, but you can see his offensive philosophy at play and I'm not a huge fan. Now, he could have every non measurable there is for a guy and that would make him the right choice. I can't know that and I won't pretend to. But his offensive tendencies make me real nervous.

But, having said all of that, I'll believe he's hired when I see it.

My concern with Gruden is his work with Dalton. I don’t know whether Gruden hasn’t been able to better develop him or whether he is just an average quarterback. IIRC Dalton had 6 picks and one lost fumble in his last two games. In addition the picks that I saw appeared to be totally Daltons fault (unless the receiver ran a poor route).

The report seems to be that Haslett and Raheem would remain on staff and work under Gruden. If that is the case, ****

Any hire on the O side could work with these guys, we the fans simply don't know how much influence the HC had on the Defensive scheme. Don't count me as a Haslett guy, but after the comments of meddling by Shanny I don't know that we can truly judged Haslett and Morris by what occurred here the last three years. This meddling makes sense considering that Shanny's son was handling the O side. 

Isn't it possible that Daltan would have been pronounced a bust under any other coordinator. The head coach is different from the coordinator. Just because a coach was bad as a coordinator ( and I think he has been good) doesn't mean he will be bad as a HC.

Listen to some of his speeches. Very fiery guy. Sounds like a leader to me. Also sounds very much like his brother.

What's to become of the interviews that have yet to happen?

There are no more scheduled interviews.

James Franklin was the last one and he's pondering moving to Happy Valley.

And "Jay Gruden.... I Ain't Even Mad" t-shirts will be available soon :)

I'll ride with this although its not my first choice by a long shot.  if Haslett remains the D coordinator under him, fan response isn't going to be good to say the least. 

I dunno, it sounds like Haslett got a raw deal with Shanny. Apparently he never wanted to move to a 3-4, that was all Shanny. Then I heard on the Junkies this morning that he walked into Mike's office this year and said "fire me or let me call my own plays". Seems like Mike was the one running the defense and not lettting Haslett do what he wanted.

Now this doesn't mean I think Haslett is a good DC, but if another coach comes in here and thinks he's worthy of being the DC, then I'll see what happens. Would be interesting if we moved back to a 4-3 and still kept Haslett.

I dunno, it sounds like Haslett got a raw deal with Shanny. Apparently he never wanted to move to a 3-4, that was all Shanny. Then I heard on the Junkies this morning that he walked into Mike's office this year and said "fire me or let me call my own plays". Seems like Mike was the one running the defense and not lettting Haslett do what he wanted.

Now this doesn't mean I think Haslett is a good DC, but if another coach comes in here and thinks he's worthy of being the DC, then I'll see what happens. Would be interesting if we moved back to a 4-3 and still kept Haslett.

So let a guy run a different defense than the one he's been running for four years? I said I wouldn't judge until the new staff is given ample time, but if we keep Haslett I'm going to be an unhappy camper. On top of the fact that philosophically speaking I don't really enjoy what we know about Jay Gruden. But again, everyone deserves a chance to succeed, so I will gladly give them that and hope the non measurables are excellent in these guys.

My concern with Gruden is his work with Dalton. I don’t know whether Gruden hasn’t been able to better develop him or whether he is just an average quarterback. IIRC Dalton had 6 picks and one lost fumble in his last two games. In addition the picks that I saw appeared to be totally Daltons fault (unless the receiver ran a poor route).

its hard to judge dalton. looking at his stats, every year he's thrown more, completed more, more yards, higher avg, more touchdowns, more ints, and higher qb rating. everything shows progess except the ints. he reminds me of tony Romo sits to pee. pretty good numbers in the regular season, but in the playoffs or important games, he chokes. now do you blame that on the system or the player? everybody blames Romo sits to pee, but in daltons case, everybody is blaming the system.

I'm not against Jay Gruden, per se, I'm just not enthused about him either.  If he's the guy, eh, so be it, I'll give him a shot.  He's not objectionable in any way really.  Not objectionable in any way other than if it means Haslett gets to stay.   Shanahan may have intervened from time to time, but the defense was horrific game in and game out for far too long for the DC to claim it wasn't his fault.  

This all might be an insight into why Haslett wasn't let go to begin with.  Perhaps Jay Gruden was a the top of their list from day one and keeping his boy Haslett was part of the bait.  Keep Haslett to help entice Gruden, if you don't get Gruden, let Haslett go when the new guy comes and move along.  

Archived