Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Merged - Per WP & Schefter, Jay Gruden is new Redskins HC

hail2skins

I never disagree with keeping some of the coaches and I don't disagree with them being retained now.

If BA hired this guy because he thought he would be the best candidate, because he thought he would fit this organization better than ALL the other people we interviewed, than I will step back and wait and see.

It is just that it doesn't seem that is what happened.  The media leaked the idea that JG was the guy and was targeted all along.  They leaked that the coaches were kept because they had him targeted all along.

I hope that I am wrong and that this new HC comes in, can lead, can organize, can handle the pressure, and can work with everyone to win football games.

Redskins TE coach Sean McVay is expected to become Washington's OC, per league sources, Raheem Morris the likely defensive coordinator.

Are there ties between McVay and Gruden? I know of the TB thing with Morris. My point is, as long as GRUDEN decides on McVay & Morris as his OC/DC then I'm fine with it. If that was in place before Gruden was hired, then we're still in trouble.

I am neither thrilled nor upset about this hire. I will say we were not the only ones looking at him for HC. So the talk of "cronyism" is a bit over the top. Gruden is a very legitimate candidate by all measure.

I do know this, he is now the HC if the team I root for, the Washington Redskins! So, I will back him till that changes for what ever reason.

For those that are concerned, let's at least let him in the door before declaring him a failure.

Excessively disappointed. Both with the GM and the apparent hire. 

But it is what it is. He starts with a clean slate and (I hope from you all when the disappointment dims) our full backing. 

Welcome and good luck. 

Hail.

Well, I guess we could've went the route of college guy with no NFL background. :)

I am convinced that some of you will never be happy.  Your devil incarnate Mike Shanahan was fired, and now we have hired a young and hungry coach who is ready to make his own name.  (What everybody said they wanted).

Jay Gruden has as good a chance as anybody to succeed here.  Just because it appears that is very likely who the team wanted from the start, that doesn't mean they did not diligently give everyone else they interviewed a chance to impress them.

The way this story broke is telling. Mark Maske spends years developing sources within the organization, and those sources give him a tip that something is being worked out...

Meanwhile, Adam Schefter tweets that it is official. That's the difference between having agents for sources vs team executives.

It's also why you don't ever see player hit pieces from breaking news guys like Schefter or Glazer. Even JLC came to RGIIIs defense recently, though I'm sure it killed him to do so

These guys' job is to help agents sell their players, in turn they get the breaking news.

I mean this as a real question, how do you think HC searches are done? Most GMs have a few guys in mind that they target when they get the chance. they do that because they had some experience with them. You still interview others in case you can't land the person you want. Sorry, just not seeing conspiracy here.

I am not seeing conspiracy either.  I just hope they just didn't hire their buddy thinking that he is the right guy for the job and that their judgement is not clouded because he is their buddy.

Lets face it most people hire people that they have a comfort level working with. Whether it was a done deal or not from the beginning who cares, really? It is not like there is anyone out there that was a much better choice. Good luck to Jay Gruden our new head coach, it will be interesting if nothing else.

sean mcvay is only 27 years old.. holy crap.. also has ties with bucs and tuskers. too much buddy buddy going on

Isn't Bill O'Brien bringing in Romeo Crenell since he has NE ties? Coaches bring in guys to their staff that they are comfortable with and have the same ideals. I wouldn't expect anything else.

sean mcvay is only 27 years old.. holy crap.. also has ties with bucs and tuskers. too much buddy buddy going on

A lot of staffs are probably that way though.  The fact there was a preexisting relationship doesn't seem problematic necessarily.  You tend to hire people you're familiar with.  

Are there ties between McVay and Gruden? I know of the TB thing with Morris. My point is, as long as GRUDEN decides on McVay & Morris as his OC/DC then I'm fine with it. If that was in place before Gruden was hired, then we're still in trouble.

This is my concern. It appears as though Gruden may have been told who his coordinators were going to be. At least on the offensive side of the ball.

I guess we should be happy about this. At least it's not an obvious blunder.

I don't know about Haslett as defensive co-ordinator though. I guess we hope he's legit and Shanahan meddled in what he wanted to do and that's why we had the 31st ranked D in the league. I just don't see how you can keep Haslett with results like that.

How Jim Haslett remains employed is beyond belief! Unless the story is true about Haslet not having any say in the defense under Shanahan.

Knowing how the fan base feels about Haslett, I would think that must be the answer, or at least that the defense was interfered with to a crippling level by Shanny.

Archived