Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Merged - Per WP & Schefter, Jay Gruden is new Redskins HC

hail2skins

He fits several of the categories I generically wanted.

Young coach without a ring.

Successful coordinator looking to make a name for himself.

Coordinator who runs the opposite side as his head coach (Lewis is obviously a defensive guy)

Now, I do worry that his team has underperformed in the playoffs and I worry about the connection between him and Haslett and Morris.  I want neither at the moment.  The defense has been consistently terrible.

So, this doesn't feel like a bad move.  I kind of was warming up to Roman just because I like innovators and he seems the most mentally agile and adaptable.

If we did wind up getting Gruden, the question I'd have next would be who he'd try to get as his assistants. The OC isn't as big of a thing to me, but I'd be interested in who the DC and QB Coaches were.

I kinda wonder what Greg Blatche is doing right now, as our defense was a top 10 unit under him and I'm pretty confident that he could utilize our talent.

Gruden at least has a way more talented QB than Dalton with Griff.

I said earlier Jay wasn't my ideal choice, but I can see him really develop Griffin into a perennial elite QB.

Still don't understand why Haslett is being retained. If we got Wade Phillips as DC, I'd be able to sleep a little better at night.

So let a guy run a different defense than the one he's been running for four years? I said I wouldn't judge until the new staff is given ample time, but if we keep Haslett I'm going to be an unhappy camper. On top of the fact that philosophically speaking I don't really enjoy what we know about Jay Gruden. But again, everyone deserves a chance to succeed, so I will gladly give them that and hope the non measurables are excellent in these guys.

Believe me, I'm not a huge Haslett fan at all, but was just saying that it sounded like he got a raw deal here with Mike. Now, his track record as a DC isn't anything special, so it's not like just because Mike hamstrung him a bit, he wasn't able to succeed.

I know you aren't a huge Gruden fan, but his offenses with Cincy improved every year he was there. In his first season in 2011, they were 18th. This year, they finished 6th. Maybe his playcalling tendencies aren't the best, but his offense seemed to be pretty good. Now, AJ Green is a physical freak and we don't have anyone like him, but I'd like to think our QB and RBs are better than what he had in Cincy, so maybe things would be different for him with different personnel? I think his passing tendencies come from being a QB and playing/coaching in the AFL where there is nothing but passing.

Gruden at least has a way more talented QB than Dalton with Griff.

I said earlier Jay wasn't my ideal choice, but I can see him really develop Griffin into a perennial elite QB.

Still don't understand why Haslett is being retained. If we got Wade Phillips as DC, I'd be able to sleep a little better at night.

It's pretty normal for assistants to be kept so the new guy can interview him and decide if the guy fits their vision or scheme.  Heck, that's how Danny Smith lasted through three administrations.  I wouldn't read too much into it... at least I hope not.

I don't understand why folks are so high on Gruden.  Yeah his offense was always near the top but do you remember what Shannhans offense was last year with a healthy RGIII (which is what Gruden is getting this year thanks to Mike)...  Jay Gruden will be a good hire IF we can fill the defensive coordinator spot with an Ace.... like a Lovie Smith.  

What's to become of the interviews that have yet to happen?

Reports are that no other interviews are now scheduled - make of that what you will :-)

It certainly seems like all signs are pointing to a Jay Gruden hire - I don't know enough to know if that's good or bad but if he is the guy lets just let him get to work and see what happens before talking Super Bowl or jumping off bridges. To state the obvious if he is the guy who he hires as his coordinators will be really important escpecially on defense as he will probably be very hands on with the offense.

Believe me, I'm not a huge Haslett fan at all, but was just saying that it sounded like he got a raw deal here with Mike. Now, his track record as a DC isn't anything special, so it's not like just because Mike hamstrung him a bit, he wasn't able to succeed.

I know you aren't a huge Gruden fan, but his offenses with Cincy improved every year he was there. In his first season in 2011, they were 18th. This year, they finished 6th. Maybe his playcalling tendencies aren't the best, but his offense seemed to be pretty good. Now, AJ Green is a physical freak and we don't have anyone like him, but I'd like to think our QB and RBs are better than what he had in Cincy, so maybe things would be different for him with different personnel? I think his passing tendencies come from being a QB and playing/coaching in the AFL where there is nothing but passing.

I actually think Haslett knows the game of football. He could find a good job anywhere, really. And I don't wish for his family to be uprooted. I like him as far as all of that goes. But he was a part of the last mess. Heck, he might be a VERY good DC when allowed to run the schemes he desires. I hope, if here, he proves that he knows the game, because like I said, I believe he does. I'm not totally negative about this Gruden/Haslett thing. They deserve a chance if it comes to pass, but it will be a tough pill to swallow for me for the first couple of days.

I don't understand why folks are so high on Gruden.  Yeah his offense was always near the top but do you remember what Shannhans offense was last year with a healthy RGIII (which is what Gruden is getting this year thanks to Mike)...  Jay Gruden will be a good hire IF we can fill the defensive coordinator spot with an Ace.... like a Lovie Smith.

Love Smith is the new HC in Tampa so that's not going to happen .....

So let a guy run a different defense than the one he's been running for four years? I said I wouldn't judge until the new staff is given ample time, but if we keep Haslett I'm going to be an unhappy camper. On top of the fact that philosophically speaking I don't really enjoy what we know about Jay Gruden. But again, everyone deserves a chance to succeed, so I will gladly give them that and hope the non measurables are excellent in these guys.

I'm not as down on Haz as most people.  The front 7 has been his specialty and you have to admit they've been pretty solid.  They've always been top notch.  They were tied with the Panthers in avg rush against for 2013.  He does a good job of dialing up blitzes and has to because he doesn't have anyone inside who can get a good push up the middle.  It's been the secondary that has been their Achilles heel!  Too often they've given up 3rd and long with lose coverage.  Or sometimes the other teams best player like a Witten ends up wide open!  And let's not even talk about the terrible field position that Special Teams put them in or the short fields opponents got from turnovers.  I'd rather see them keep Haz than Morris.

As for Gruden?  I dunno...I'm just not feeling it.  I would hope that he's getting something in writing that will keep our jackass owner in his box and away from the players.  Otherwise, we'll be back here in Jan 2017 discussing who the next coach should be.

ps Says a lot about the mess the team is in that Whiz won't interview here.  Even with a Gibbs connection.  I'm sure the Redskins will boast they weren't interested but when you look at so many others they've interviewed that are no where near as qualified then I think we can call BS on that.

Looks like they are finalizing the deal right now... 

@RT @JeffDarlington: I'm told Jay Gruden and the Redskins are currently working out the final details to make him the team's new head coach.

@RapSheet

Now ---> RT @JeffDarlington: I'm told Jay Gruden & Redskins are currently working out the final details to make him team's new head coach.

@RapSheet
If Jay Gruden finalizes a deal with the Redskins, a strong possibility is making Raheem Morris the DC. Kept on staff for a reason.

I honestly don't know enough about the man to know if' he'd be a good choice or not...I guess I will have to trust the process and hope that he can be the type of HC we need and will make us successful. We shall see I suppose. Until the ink dries tho...I'm not buying into any one person

..... Until the ink dries tho...I'm not buying into any one person

THIS again is what we need to keep at the forefront. 

There's speculation running rife that changes by the day. But as much as the media like to think their contacts are on the money, only a select few within our organisations hierarchy know exactly what the state of play is and who they have in mind. 

As we stand, EVERYBODY is still in play until someones down on paper. 

Hail. 

Archived