Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Merged - Per WP & Schefter, Jay Gruden is new Redskins HC

hail2skins

Schefter now tweeting the Bengals plan to bump Jackson to OC. 

Maybe you can throw your name in there for offensive assistant haha.

I'm cautiously optimistic K. None of the candidates really wowed me out there. I was a Bevell guy, but wasn't going to be pissed if we went elsewhere. Is Gruden the answer? I honestly have no idea. I'm willing to give him and the FO the benefit of the doubt here. For once in the Snyder era, we didn't chase a big name and rush to a decision. That's a step in the right direction IMO.

The converse cloud is we didn't rush into anything as we had made the decision from the get-go before the superficial 'search.'

The spotlights shining bright on the GM if this comes to fruition today. 

Hail. 

I was really hoping they would either go with Whiz or just go with someone new.  I don't like this because it seems they are just hiring another in a long line of buddys.

To be fair, have to give the guy a chance, but for me, he is behind the curve and will have to earn my respect.

To add, I still think the number one issue is player acquisition, while the coaching staff is second.

wonderful.

Bruce you were full of **** with your pc. There was no exhaustive search for a hc, you knew who you had targeted all along.

Those of us who said it would be conicidental that haz and rah were kept on knew there had to be some kind of catch.

well here it is. The old tb crew is back together again.

Yeah this has been in place for weeks. He didn't search any harder for a coach than Snyder did when he targeted Shanahan. Disappointing.

Pathetic.... Clearly scripted with all the "wide reaching" interviews just an attempt to mask what they wanted to do and meet the Rooney rule.. The fact that they fired the OC, but decided to let the HC "decide" on the DC who magically was retained by a incoming coach who worked with Bruce in the past just shows this organization hasnt changed.

I'll say it again even though no one will listen.. Given how this played out, if you think that Shanahan wasnt setup as the fall guy and was constantely being rail roaded then you cant see the forest through the trees.

I ****ing hate this hire and I can't even ****ing believe we are keeping Haslett.

I'll say it here, in the official thread:

I wasn't on the Gruden bandwagon. But, as I've said all along, I think we need to trust the process here. Jay Gruden is our new head coach, and the team would know better than any of us who was the best fit.

So having said that, congratulations on the hire, Coach Gruden. Welcome to the Redskins and good luck.

The "process" has been shown to be a fraud.

This was the guy they had targeted all along, and it isn't because he's the "best qualified" or has that "fire in the belly"

its because he's bruce's buddy from tb.

Now we know why haz and rah were kept on.. because this was planned from the start.

I call bull**** on thos whole sham of a coaching search and all that **** bruce had to say in his pc.

I really don't understand how so many can watch this defense over the past 3 years and dislike Haslett. Vince ****ing Lombardi could have coached that group of talent with similar results

Shanahans reputation as a micromanager was thoroughly documented before he took the job in Washington. He watches tape of his coaches meetings for crying out loud. He clearly had a hand in defensive schemes

Am not a Haslett guy, but this is a good point.  It wasn't just the WP articles at the end of the season, others who have worked with Shanny specifically Mike Lombardi said that Shanny is VERY hands on with game planning for defense.  Maybe its a coincidence but maybe not that his defenses in Denver in the later years were putrid.   Shanny could have been the weak link.   Seems like the rap on Haslett according to John Keim when he asked front offices what they thought of him is that he's average.  Not good, not bad, somewhere in the middle -- as Keim said he's no Gregg Williams but he's unlikely the bottom of the barrel either.  

Having said that with guys like Greg Williams, Horton, etc out there why not go for an elite coordinator?

Just got this:

Interesting! RT @JasonLaCanfora: Jim Haslett will remain the Redskins D coordinator in Washington, according ... http://tmi.me/1dlol0 

Gruden was mediocre with ANDY DALTON!! He now has RGIII, Alfred Morris, Roy Helu (we may finally see him used), Pierre Garcon, Jordan Reed, Hankerson, Robinson, etc, etc. on offense. I think potentially, this offense could be very well. Had the Bengals had a healthy RGIII rather than Dalton, they would still be playing!

I do not like this. He had 3 mediocre years as OC in cinny. Nothing special at all. Really, Jim Haslett is still on the team? 

Mediocore? Their offenses went from 18th to 12th to 6th. I'd say that's pretty good work there with a young QB the whole time.

One thing about keeping Haslett - We should at least find out for sure if Haslett wanted the 3-4 or shanny shoved it down his throat.

Also, there is one bright spot, we will get some good press on MNF. Jon is not going to trash his brother...  :-) 

I can't wait for the MNF calls from Jon

I can see the sports center segment now... Black and white photos of them as kids throwing the football, jay the smaller of the two. Growing up always the smaller one, pictures of Jay in the background of Jon's success, now it's little brothers turn, blahblablahblah

And of course, the ES threads on the piece. "Great documentary about Jay! I had no idea he was shorter than Jon growing up! He is going to be an awesome coach!" And so forth

**** **** **** **** **** ****!!!!!!!!!

what do we have to do to be rid of that guy????

Seriously??

Seriously watch film.  Haz hasn't been the problem.  It's Morris!  D-Hall saved his butt this year.  The secondary has underperformed over and over.  The coach before him was worse (Jackson I think?) but Morris hasn't done much either.  Haz dials up some pretty wicked and creative blitzes.  What has Morris done with the secondary that makes everyone think he's all that?  Seriously what?!?!

Pathetic.... Clearly scripted with all the "wide reaching" interviews just an attempt to mask what they wanted to do and meet the Rooney rule.. The fact that they fired the OC, but decided to let the HC "decide" on the DC who magically was retained by a incoming coach who worked with Bruce in the past just shows this organization hasnt changed.

I'll say it again even though no one will listen.. Given how this played out, if you think that Shanahan wasnt setup as the fall guy and was constantely being rail roaded then you cant see the forest through the trees.

I ****ing hate this hire and I can't even ****ing believe we are keeping Haslett.

Leave then.

The "process" has been shown to be a fraud.

This was the guy they had targeted all along, and it isn't because he's the "best qualified" or has that "fire in the belly"

its because he's bruce's buddy from tb.

Now we know why haz and rah were kept on.. because this was planned from the start.

I call bull**** on thos whole sham of a coaching search and all that **** bruce had to say in his pc.

It's hard not to argue this point.  Time will tell if this is incorrect.

Honestly, what other choices were better out there? Maybe, Wiz, but everyone else out there was just as unproven as Gruden. Could he be successful? Sure. Could he fail miserably? Sure. But let's give the guy a chance. If you go back to the Gibbs coaching search thread, you'll see these same things said about Gibbs. Let's just see what happens.

Archived