Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Merged - Per WP & Schefter, Jay Gruden is new Redskins HC

hail2skins

No. Jon has been big on RG3 prior to him coming out and while he has been with us. Just because he feels Kirk is also good doesn't mean he's a Kirk guy. RG3 is going to be Jay's guy moving forward.

I watched a MNF game and dude pretty much called for his benching saying he doesn't know if Kirk Cousins wouldn't come in change things around. You guys can be optimistic but I don't like this hire at all.

welll i got my wish for h.c. now if only he hires gregg williams as d.c. i will throw down .  IMO this is good for the organization. i really thought they were targeting whisenhunt but this is actuallywhat i wanted...didnt want the babysitter....glad that didnt happen....spank some ass  at redskin park jay and get people in line

Wow some fail in this thread.

Wait, so because Bruce Allen had ties, connections, and a relationship with Gruden, he should have disqualified Gruden as a candidate?  Look this isn't government office, and whether you like it or not. In industry, often the person who gets hired at most jobs, does so because of some connection they had with the company or at least the hiring manager before hand.

Both Shanahans had to be let go, and a few of his staff we were sure we weren't retaining.   I think that the Defensive Coaches were retained perhaps with the idea of someone like Gruden (but really how many connections do you suppose Bruce has in this league, i imagine there are dozens of coaches that could be said to be known).   

Those complaining about 'cronyism' really I have to wonder when the last time was you searched for work, real work, and how did you get the job.  Most of the jobs I have gotten were because I made connections with people, or had a connection via someone in my 'network' of friends and colleagues who had worked there. 

That's not cronyism, that's just how life works in the Job Market generally.

Redskins expected to hire Sean McVay as their offensive coordinator, per league sources.

"Adam Schefter of ESPN, meanwhile, reports former Buccaneers head coach and current Redskins defensive backs coach Raheem Morris is a possibility for the defensive coordinator post. Mark Maske of the Washington Post reports Haslett “could be” the choice and that both coaches are candidates to remain with the team so it remains to be seen how things play out in the end."

So what's wrong here? A coach wanted a guy that fits his system. And honestly, Kap has been good, but has he been that much better than Dalton? I don't really think so. Look at their numbers this year and you'll see Dalton had by far the better regular season.

That just tells me a lot about Jay Gruden as a coach. He doesn't like QBs with RGIII skillset/attributes. He likes your typical dropback QB and he reached on Andy Dalton who wasn't even that great of a QB in college. There will be drama, just wait and see.

I have to give the Skins credit for this; when is the last time they hired a young, proven NFL coordinator? We've had coaching re-treads, people that were over their head, etc.

So I am optimistic about the hire. Proven NFL Coordinator, many times they make really good Head Coaches.

Only thing the skins should do now is hand the reigns to him, basically here's the roster, draft picks, FA money, now go win with whomever at QB, etc.

Time will tell.

We could hire Jesus Christ to coach and some of you guys would find a negative about that....

Let's let the dust settle before going HAM on the coordinator choices.  As it stands, NOTHING is set in stone yet.  It's all speculation. 

"NOT A TRUE LEADER"

"BRINGS IN HIS 12 FRIENDS AS ASSISTANTS"

"TOO PREACHY"

"SEEMS TO ENJOY WINE A LITTLE TOO MUCH"

"RG3 IS AN ATHLETIC BACKUP" whoops wait what?

You can tell a team's true feelings in a contract. How badly did the #Skins want Jay Gruden? Enough to lock him in for 5. Rare for 1st timer

Expand

London Fletcher ‏@LFletcher59

Defensive struggles where not solely on salary cap #excuses #blahblahblah

Expand

London Fletcher ‏@LFletcher59

I think Morris as DC would be great choice! Brings energy & excitement! Would feel pretty good about HC, DC, & OC then!

Seems like a shot at Haslett from Fletcher?

I don't tihnk Gruden is the one throwing all those INTs though...

exactly.. and the fumbles also.

im in no way supporting andy dalton but dude threw 33 freakin td's this year.. that would be an all time redskins record. hes also been to the playoffs all 3 years of his career. the redskins have been 3 times in 8 years.

its safe to say that jay gruden and andy dalton have pretty much trumphed in 3 years anything we've done in the snyder era.

I watched a MNF game and dude pretty much called for his benching saying he doesn't know if Kirk Cousins wouldn't come in change things around. You guys can be optimistic but I don't like this hire at all.

Good thing Jon Gruden isn't our HC then

If we don't get rid of haslett then this team is doomed again.

How the heck is the guy who had the worst d we've had on decades get to stay? Especially after having basically an entire draft for defense and still sucking?

Considering that most of the defense needs a talent overhaul, there is a strong argument that Haslett hasn't had that much to work with.  Combine that with Shanahan's tight control over personnel and his history of not having great defenses, there are arguments that could give him the benefit of the doubt.

Course, no guarantee he will be retained.  They could go with Morris as coordinator, or even someone else.

I really wish people would stop with these ideas that:

A. Offensive coordinators can only be good head coaches if they were transcendent offensive coordinators. It's two different jobs.

B. Coordinators in general can only be judged based on their offensive rankings in one season.

The best example of this is Brian Billick. He set records in Minnesota as an offensive coordinator. Then he won a Super Bowl in Baltimore with an offense that did not score an offensive touchdown for a literal month of Sundays.

Mike Martz and Dick Lebeau were not good head coaches. Mike Tomlin and Bill Cowher were not exactly transcendent coordinators.

PS

Just my opinion: keeping Hazlett would just be weird. The cupboard is pretty bare on that side of the ball, but it seems odd that the defense could be this bad for this long and the coordinator survive. There is just nothing on Hazlett's resume that makes me think: "He can turn this around!" And I really just want a fresh start all around. It's not something that will cause me to carry a protest sign; it's just pretty weird.

I don't remember him saying that at all. Its a myth that he prefers Cousins over Griffin. He was in love with Griffin last season and the only things I've heard him say negatively about Griffin is he takes to many hits. He said be careful what you wish for because a new head coach my want an open QB competition. 

That's about all he has said on the matter. Besides that doesn't mean anything, we didn't hire Jon we hired Jay. 

Archived