Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can RG3 be traded? Does he have trade value?

ron5668

JMO but even after this year he would still get two number ones based on last years performance and the potential for him to bounce back.

Not something we should even seriously think about unless Cousins is exceptional these last two games. But if cousins really shines, I would at least listen to any and all offers for either player. But if they want RG3 it better be one hell of an offer.

Josh Morgan quote

“As a receiver, I want to say [Cousins and Griffin III] pretty much have the same type of ball. Strong arms get it there when they need it to go,” he said. “Of course the foot speed is a little bit different, so if the decision is a little iffy for Rob, he knows he can make some positive yards with his legs. Rob can really break the play down and create more time.

“Kirk [Cousins] has more confidence in his arm, so he’s going to put it in there. Kirk’s more like a computer; he’s going to get through all four of his reads before he throws it away. Robert [Griffin III] gets through one or two of his reads and then says, ‘I’m just going to make a play myself.’”

Here is more....

Why do you think that is wrong to say?

Robert wasn't at the senior bowl and didnt throw at the combine. Kirk Cousins doesn't have a weak arm, but to say its stronger than Roberts is nuts. Also, Morgans quote doesn't suggest kirk has a stronger arm.

Kirk does not have a stronger arm than Griffin. Kirk is not yet at the level of the best in the business. He is 1-1 as a start has throw 3 INT's and fumbled once. I don't think there is anything to suggest he is going to be a better passer than Griffin. You just don't know. You need to give Griffin an actual offseason.

The "teams" record is meaningless not sure why you bring that up and not sure when I ever said Cousins was at the level of the best in the NFL but as for the the need for an offseason I agree with you there however you can lead a horse to water but you can not make him drink.

You have to realize that there are no guarantees with this. Griffin may or may not become a Franchise QB with that offseason. If you think he will be that then you keep him, if you have questions and can get great value now then maybe you move him. The question is "Can you trade Griffin" and the answer is yes you can, for the right price. We simply do not have any players on this team that are untradeable imo

Josh Morgan quote

“As a receiver, I want to say [Cousins and Griffin III] pretty much have the same type of ball. Strong arms get it there when they need it to go,” he said. “Of course the foot speed is a little bit different, so if the decision is a little iffy for Rob, he knows he can make some positive yards with his legs. Rob can really break the play down and create more time.

“Kirk [Cousins] has more confidence in his arm, so he’s going to put it in there. Kirk’s more like a computer; he’s going to get through all four of his reads before he throws it away. Robert [Griffin III] gets through one or two of his reads and then says, ‘I’m just going to make a play myself.’”

Here is more....

Why do you think that is wrong to say?

I don't think its a stretch to say cousins has the better arm at this point in their careers. But I find it hard to believe cousins can flick it like Griffin can. Just based off of what we have seen in games. 

Back on topic. Yes we could trade him. Yes that would probably be a huge mistake. This is why Griffin supporters are so rampant. He is obviously not the best QB in the league. But damn...trade talks already? Hes not even having that terrible of a season. I feel like im defending JC again. 

The reason why people think Cousins doesn't have a strong arm is because they repeat a couple of idiots analysts that said so without really knowing what the hell they were saying.  KC throws in the combine have been clocked faster than Cam.  Not only that the ball comes out of KCs hand very fast, faster than RGIII.  All you need to do is watch them throw.

And anyone else mentions how we need to move Cousins for a 2nd is just as dumb as saying we should look into trading RGIII. Unless you guys feel comfortable with RGIII's knee.

I think cousins and griffin have equal trade value right now.  Cousins has shown serious pocket QB potential in his 2 starts, but he was a 4th rounder and could be a flash in the pan.  Griffin showed serious potential as a rookie, but has since blown out his knee and shown minimal ability to win games from the pocket.  I think both guys would fetch a 2nd rounder from teams in need, or a first depending on how desperate they got.

The reason why people think Cousins doesn't have a strong arm is because they repeat a couple of idiots analysts that said so without really knowing what the hell they were saying.  KC throws in the combine have been clocked faster than Cam.  Not only that the ball comes out of KCs hand very fast, faster than RGIII.  All you need to do is watch them throw.

And anyone else mentions how we need to move Cousins for a 2nd is just as dumb as saying we should look into trading RGIII. Unless you guys feel comfortable with RGIII's knee.

Cousins wouldn't net us anything more than a 2nd at this point. There is no way in hell a team is going to give us a 1st rounder for him.

I think cousins and griffin have equal trade value right now.  Cousins has shown serious pocket QB potential in his 2 starts, but he was a 4th rounder and could be a flash in the pan.  Griffin showed serious potential as a rookie, but has since blown out his knee and shown minimal ability to win games from the pocket.  I think both guys would fetch a 2nd rounder from teams in need, or a first depending on how desperate they got.

Then you're on an insane level of drugs.

I've heard that Cousins will likely get a 2nd but not more.

I've also heard that GMs would fight each other over trading two 1sts for Griffin.

Again, put the pipe down.

In fact, if the Redskins came out tomorrow and said they would be trading RGIII ... not only would I disown the franchise, but I would also expect the Jaguars/Vikings/Raiders to get into a bidding war and end up giving us their 1st and 2nd this year and their 1st next year.

Sure he could be traded...just like any other player on the roster...but why would trade him at this point? B/c he's had a bad year after coming back from major knee surgery? Shouldn't we let him have the off season, TC and pre-season and next season to see if he can

come back & get it done? No one wanted to trade him last season during that 7 win streak to win the division...LIke I've said many times

winning cures alot of this could we? should we? do we?...

BTW..I have a good friend that's a diehard Bears fan who'd give his left nut to get RG3(ok maybe not that much but close)...and so would my Cowpuke fan friend..he'd dump TR & take Griffin in the blink of an eye...

Then you're on an insane level of drugs.

I've heard that Cousins will likely get a 2nd but not more.

I've also heard that GMs would fight each other over trading two 1sts for Griffin.

Again, put the pipe down.

In fact, if the Redskins came out tomorrow and said they would be trading RGIII ... not only would I disown the franchise, but I would also expect the Jaguars/Vikings/Raiders to get into a bidding war and end up giving us their 1st and 2nd this year and their 1st next year.

Where have you heard two 1sts for Griffin? Just curious. 

Our fanbase really is horrible. Not sure how someone can post arguably the best rookie season by a QB in the history of the league, get injuried and not practice for nine months and then be discarded as garbage. Id like to see anyone at the elite level of their sport or profession not practice or use that skill for 9 months and see what happens. Griffin was dropping long bombs last year just like Cousins did the other day. Let the man regroup and get back to form. Was he a little arrogant in thinking he could do it.... yes. But i would expect and want nothing less from the leader of the team.

Where have you heard two 1sts for Griffin? Just curious. 

Lavar mentioned it the other day on the show. Not sure what the exact context was, but a caller brought this exact question up and said we might get a 2nd for RGIII and Lavar busted out laughing, saying he knows 5 teams off the top of his head that would give 2 #1s for RGIII right now if it was an option.

Basically said Skins fans are idiots and have completely forgotten his value.

Our fanbase really is horrible. Not sure how someone can post arguably the best rookie season by a QB in the history of the league, get injuried and not practice for nine months and then be discarded as garbage. Id like to see anyone at the elite level of their sport or profession not practice or use that skill for 9 months and see what happens. Griffin was dropping long bombs last year just like Cousins did the other day. Let the man regroup and get back to form. Was he a little arrogant in thinking he could do it.... yes. But i would expect and want nothing less from the leader of the team.

It's unreal. If they were Bulls fans, they would have burned their Jordan #45 jerseys after he was knocked out of the playoffs the year he came back and they would have wanted to trade him for Mitch Richmond. 

Lavar mentioned it the other day on the show. Not sure what the exact context was, but a caller brought this exact question up and said we might get a 2nd for RGIII and Lavar busted out laughing, saying he knows 5 teams off the top of his head that would give 2 #1s for RGIII right now if it was an option.

Yeah if one of the best passing prospects in 30 years that is one year removed from being the NFL ROY was made available, teams would be tripping over themselves trying to get Dan/Bruce/whoever on the phone fast enough. 

RG3 would fetch a 1st and a 2nd, no doubt about it.  The pendulum has definitely swung to where RG3 is being diminished way beyond what his struggles should suggest from this past year.  He is a hell of a talent and any GM/Coach would be salivating on teaching him the finer points of the QB position.

Which is why we would be fools to deal him at this point.

That's very reassuring to read. Thanks for the info!

If the team wouldn't have had the end of year run and playoff appearance from last year, these questions wouldn't even be raised.  RG3 would be looked at as just another 2nd year QB going through some growing pains.  Unfortunately for RG3, he is a victim of his own success last year.  KC is not our long term guy.  This ship sails or sinks with RG3.

No, the ship shouldn't sail or sink with RG3.  The best QB should be playing.  Period.  If the best QB is Robert, then fine.  If it's Cousins, he should get the nod.  The cost in picks for Robert is what it is, but that doesn't mean Robert should be immune to being benched or replaced.

Yea, i'd prob lean on Griffin having the stronger arm, but i'd lean on Cousins maybe having a slightly better 'touch' on the ball.

Not kicking Griffin, but if you go back and look at quite a few of his big plays, the ball was actually underthrown/thrown behind the receiver, and it was the receiver who made the nice adjustment to catch the ball.  The Garcon TD catch in Dallas, his TD catch/run in N.O.; both balls were thrown behind and it took an athletic Garcon to contort to make the big catch.

Cousins prob makes the reads better [ at least right now he is ] going through progressions, and yes it was his first game last week, but he did impress, most importantly, he bounced back from an early mistake. He'd stay in the pocket longer and make other reads as where Griffin would abandon them and try to make a play with his legs. Its just 2 different styles, both are great attributes in their game, but until Griffin comes back next year and proves the doubters wrong, the debate will continue.

Lets be thankful we have both of these QBs wearing the burgundy & gold right now; its a problem many teams would welcome; its the other crap surrounding the team that makes this look bad. Had we been 9-5, we'd all be here telling everyone 'c'mon opponents, pick your poison'.

Yes he could be traded. 

Cousins has the bigger stronger arm then Griffin. Cousins plays the position the way that the best in the business played it and there is no injury risk like with Griffin with Cousins. Cousins is not as accurate as Griffin was last year. Both QB's have strengths and weaknesses over the other. This is an interesting question.  

Honestly I would trade Griffin if I could get 2 first round picks for him. Why? Because Griffin still has to learn to play the position as a pocket passer. There are no guarantees that he ever learns this. If he doesn't get it then we lost out on moving him and getting great value for him now. If we were to get 2 first round picks for him we would have basically traded to get Griffin for a 2nd round pick and have a division title and rookie of the year award winner for it. I would trade a 2nd round pick for that. 

Now there is no guarantee that Griffin can't correct the issues affecting his play either. It's a risk to give up on him at this point. I wouldn't trade him for less then 2 first round picks. The answer to the question really is if you think the problems affecting Griffin can be fixed, if they can't then he should be moved now before the world finds out that he can't fix those issues. 

crack

Archived