Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can RG3 be traded? Does he have trade value?

ron5668

I remember years ago thinking how rough Eli had it in NY with the fans getting after him when he was mediocre his first few years.

Holy crap, Giants fans have NOTHING on our fan base. A mediocre second year for our new QB after having probably the best rookie campaign in NFL history and coming back from an ACL surgery and people are already turning on him and talking about starting the backup and trading Griff. 

The insanity is palpable. 

According to this article Griffin at this point of his career is already, statistically, ahead of Flacco and Eli Manning. Two Superbowl winning quarterbacks. So I wouldn't be for trading him but if he was he could net a fair amount draft wise.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/86415/what-really-went-wrong-with-robert-griffin-iii

Why are some of us giving up on him already.

I honestly believe it is the loudmouthed minority that has given up on him. Most Skins fans don't post on ES. And the sane fans don't believe every word BSPN and the NFL=TMZ Network. They watch games on Sunday and then go about their lives. They're disappointed with this season, but they don't hate RG3 either.

That he could be traded? Guess I'm getting traded. Damn. Kinda liked it here. Wonder what fan base will trade for me :/

You'll love it in Dallass! JerruhWorld has duh arts and big TV and stuffs.

According to this article Griffin at this point of his career is already, statistically, ahead of Flacco and Eli Manning. Two Superbowl winning quarterbacks. So I wouldn't be for trading him but if he was he could net a fair amount draft wise.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/86415/what-really-went-wrong-with-robert-griffin-iii

That's a great article, probably the best I've read when it comes to summing up Griffin's season. Everybody on this board needs to read that.

I find this thread an absolute sham. Think back to last year, RG3 was the talk of the league and the Toast of the Town for D.C. Now we have a thread about trading  RG3. This is a moronic subject matter. I will agree, RG3 was brought back way to soon and the Franchise has suffered for this decision. RG3 has mocksie and he is a warrior. To trade RG3 is just plain stupid. Hail

Can he be traded?

Does a bear **** in the woods?

That said, there is no way they are trading him anytime soon.

I wonder if the same question was asked after Cam Newton's sophomore slump. The guy wasn't even coming off a major surgery yet he received a free pass.

Seriously, when are people going to stop saying this? Cam's numbers were pretty similar his second year, to his rookie season. And his team improved by one win.

Yes, unequivocally. Another franchise would gladly grab RGIII and would likely give up 2 1st round picks for the privilege. RGIII has proven to be an extremely hard worker and a smart guy. Anything he doesn't have from a physical/mental standpoint can be taught. That's not even taking into account his high marketability.

Not sure we'd get two first round picks. One, for sure. Two? I seriously doubt it.

I would love to go back a year on the Carolina Panthers' message board and see the posts about Cam. You have to wonder how many doubters he turned into hardcore fans - all within a year.

Look at Rose still suffering the consequences of his injury in Chicago. Robert came back in half the time and he plays a contact sport.

It's pathetic out here sometimes.

This notion that Panther fans didn't believe in Cam, is bunk. I live here. Trust me, NONE of them I know blamed Cam for anything. They thought the guy could do no wrong his first two years.

It was always:

1. Rivera sucks

2. Chud sucks

3. Shula sucks

4. Cam has no weapons

5. Their defense sucks

Funny, I tried telling them that part of the problem was Cam. And he was.

He wasn't clutch. He wasn't mature. He didn't know how to lead. To his credit, he has improved in all those areas, and now they are winning. That, and their defense took it to another level.

Yeah really.  Guys like Brad Johnson and Rich Gannon have played here and then gone on to do very good things too.   The OP's question was very benign, but I hate where threads like this tends to go.

Seriously. Think of all the players we let go in their prime that went on to do great things (Antonio Pierce, Carlos Rogers, etc). Hell, he might be nowhere now, but even Devin Thomas got a ring with the Giants. 

All you can hope for at this point is that around this time next year, all of this will be a moot point. 

This notion that Panther fans didn't believe in Cam, is bunk. I live here. Trust me, NONE of them I know blamed Cam for anything. They thought the guy could do no wrong his first two years.

It was always:

1. Rivera sucks

2. Chud sucks

3. Shula sucks

4. Cam has no weapons

5. Their defense sucks

Funny, I tried telling them that part of the problem was Cam. And he was.

He wasn't clutch. He wasn't mature. He didn't know how to lead. To his credit, he has improved in all those areas, and now they are winning. That, and their defense took it to another level.

Well I can't argue that since you're out there and you probably know best. I just remember all the headlines about Cam's sophomore slump and I honestly felt bad for the kid, despite his immaturity sometimes.

What do you think about Robert then? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts. 

Funny though, if you think about it, how quickly all of the complaints you listed by the fans go away as soon as you start winning. God I hope we beat Dallas. We need it.

Well I can't argue that since you're out there and you probably know best. I just remember all the headlines about Cam's sophomore slump and I honestly felt bad for the kid, despite his immaturity sometimes.

What do you think about Robert then? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Funny though, if you think about it, how quickly all of the complaints you listed by the fans go away as soon as you start winning. God I hope we beat Dallas. We need it.

The reason the media was saying he went through a soph slump was because their team stunk. If you remember, they got off to a horrible start in 2012 (and 2013), then caught fire, basically around the same time they beat us 21-13 in DC. Think they were 1-8 when they beat us.

His numbers, however, were nearly identical to 2011 though.

As for Robert: I honestly don't know what to think. I want to believe he can develop as a pocket passer, but I don't know. He has a long way to go. I hope we find the right coaches that can help him.

Of course he "can" be traded. Most any player can be traded for something.

So the real question/statement you really want to make is: You think we should at least consider trading RGIII because he struggled this year and Cousins has looked at least adequate in the limited time he has played. So I will answer that statement.

Why in the world would anyone even want to consider such a move (regardless of what a few hyper-knee jerk reaction fans think???) We have very little equity in this team and RGIII is a large part of it. When we go looking for a GM and then he hires a HC (yes, I am hoping Snyder finally does this), one of the huge selling points will be RGIII and his potential.

For those who jumped on the raise Cousins trade value and move him this off-season thing, there is no reason to trade him either. This is a 2 QB league. We have both guys under contract for the next 2 years with an option for a 5th. Next off season is when we will probably have to have the which way do we go at QB. We will know for sure if RGIII can develop and full-fill his potential and I expect we will know what we have in Cousins. Trading either one this year is just nonsense.

The reason the media was saying he went through a soph slump was because their team stunk. If you remember, they got off to a horrible start in 2012 (and 2013), then caught fire, basically around the same time they beat us 21-13 in DC. Think they were 1-8 when they beat us.

As for Robert: I honestly don't know what to think. I want to believe he can develop as a pocket passer, but I don't know. He has a long way to go. I hope we find the right coaches that can help him.

Here is the thing about Cam, he was not that good in his first season really. Hear me out before guffawing.

He had 2 crazy awesome games to start his career where he passed for over 400 yds in each one of them (both losses BTW!). He then passed for 158 yds in gm 3 (a victory) then 374 in game 4 (a loss). He never passed for even 300 yds the rest of the season. He actually had several games where he threw less than 200! His comp % and TD/Int ration were OK but not great, nothing like Roberts. In the 2nd game he threw for 432yds but also had 3 ints in the loss. He was just really fun to watch because of his running (not saying RGIII wwas a lot different there. Now he has had a team put around him, something that disappeared last year.

RGIII had a much more complete season last year, playing well pretty much through the entire season until the Nagota injury. There are no guarantees ever. But my point is I think RGIII has less to go than Newton did and IMO he is a smarter and harder working guy than Cam.

Wow some of this fan base acts just as stupid as the higher ups of the organization. But I would say it has been a cause and effect because the ineptitude of the organization over the years have finally rubbed off on the fans so they don't know even know how to be a fan and a supporter of a team anymore.

Starts at the top.

I would love to go back a year on the Carolina Panthers' message board and see the posts about Cam. You have to wonder how many doubters he turned into hardcore fans - all within a year.

Look at Rose still suffering the consequences of his injury in Chicago. Robert came back in half the time and he plays a contact sport.

It's pathetic out here sometimes. 

Being in South Carolina, I can tell you there weren't that many people that completely lost faith in Cam like many have in RGIII. Most were just saying that he needed more time and still had potential.

Nobody hates RG3, just the drama with the franchise.

Some people like ncr, braunman, ghosti and a few others could have fooled me.

Being in South Carolina, I can tell you there weren't that many people that completely lost faith in Cam like many have in RGIII. Most were just saying that he needed more time and still had potential.

I live in the Raleigh/Durham area, and they were trashing Cam, mostly for his me first type attitude not as much for his play. Many were saying picking Cam was the worst move in franchise history and that Rivera had to go. The Panthers fan base in this area is pretty fickle. Mostly bandwagon that I have met and I have been here for 7 years. But to be fair there are a whole lot more transplants in this area. Many people have moved down from up north (NJ, NY, PA etc.) so the Panthers are more of a second team anyway.

I think in the end losing sucks and breeds discussions like this thread - nonsensical knee jerk reactions - but winning cures just about everything.

I just don't believe the media can say a player is going through a sophomore slump if the rest of his team is horrible. The media couldn't find any stats on Cam, so they started to latch onto his personality and shed light on his immaturity.

Robert's case is different, obviously due to the injury. But instead of hearing about the defense and special teams, all I hear about on a daily basis are the same stories I heard about Cam last year. 

Archived