Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can RG3 be traded? Does he have trade value?

ron5668

Can we just make this stop!

There is no question of us trading RGIII - has everyone forgotten the historic season he put up as a rookie when healthy ? Even this season when he has not played as well as he or we would like or developed in the way expected he has had games when he has played very well - Bears game, Chargers game, first half of the second Giants game come to mind.

With a full season of development for him and the offense he will be back with a chip on his shoulder and people to prove wrong. The big problems on this team are on the other side of the ball and on special teams.

The reason the media was saying he went through a soph slump was because their team stunk. If you remember, they got off to a horrible start in 2012 (and 2013), then caught fire, basically around the same time they beat us 21-13 in DC. Think they were 1-8 when they beat us.

His numbers, however, were nearly identical to 2011 though.

As for Robert: I honestly don't know what to think. I want to believe he can develop as a pocket passer, but I don't know. He has a long way to go. I hope we find the right coaches that can help him.

I just don't believe the media can say a player is going through a sophomore slump if the rest of his team is horrible. The media couldn't find any stats on Cam, so they started to latch onto his personality and shed light on his immaturity.

Robert's case is different, obviously due to the injury. But instead of hearing about the defense and special teams, all I hear about on a daily basis are the same stories I heard about Cam last year. 

Being in South Carolina, I can tell you there weren't that many people that completely lost faith in Cam like many have in RGIII. Most were just saying that he needed more time and still had potential.

Then that's a pure reflection of our fan bases. Although, you can't exactly blame us considering how long it's been since we've been competitive (with the exception of a few years).

he could definitely be traded but don't get carried away. There are probably about 10 teams that would have no interest at all

If he can make the amount of progress he did from the time he went down in January, I have no doubt he can do the same this offseason. I guess time will tell.

RG3 would fetch a 1st and a 2nd, no doubt about it.  The pendulum has definitely swung to where RG3 is being diminished way beyond what his struggles should suggest from this past year.  He is a hell of a talent and any GM/Coach would be salivating on teaching him the finer points of the QB position.

Based on what?

RG3 would fetch a 1st and a 2nd, no doubt about it.  The pendulum has definitely swung to where RG3 is being diminished way beyond what his struggles should suggest from this past year.  He is a hell of a talent and any GM/Coach would be salivating on teaching him the finer points of the QB position.

lol.  Not a chance with 2 bad legs and an injury that he may never recover from.  Plus, his passing this year hasn’t won him any fans out there.  I say he’s back to a 4th or 5th rounder and thats a chance.  

I think cousins and griffin have equal trade value right now.  Cousins has shown serious pocket QB potential in his 2 starts, but he was a 4th rounder and could be a flash in the pan.  Griffin showed serious potential as a rookie, but has since blown out his knee and shown minimal ability to win games from the pocket.  I think both guys would fetch a 2nd rounder from teams in need, or a first depending on how desperate they got.

WOW!!!  LOL!!! This is why we shouldn't drink or do drugs!! It fries your brain cells, IT FRIES YOUR BRAIN CELLS!! Gee wiz man, REALLY????

lol.  Not a chance with 2 bad legs and an injury that he may never recover from.  Plus, his passing this year hasn’t won him any fans out there.  I say he’s back to a 4th or 5th rounder and thats a chance.  

Listen, I'm just as frustrated as you are but a 4th or 5th is just being little whinny about it like your stomping your feet.  RG3 wasn't the only issue with this team.  Plenty of teams can still win with a inept offense because of play elsewhere, we can't.  Our D sucks, our special teams is probably the worst in Redskins history, we have alot of other issues and RG3 really isn't 1 of them.  Bob would easily yield a 1st round pick and more but it doesn't matter because he's not going to be traded.  Dan loves him :)

Listen, I'm just as frustrated as you are but a 4th or 5th is just being little whinny about it like your stomping your feet.  RG3 wasn't the only issue with this team.  Plenty of teams can still win with a inept offense because of play elsewhere, we can't.  Our D sucks, our special teams is probably the worst in Redskins history, we have alot of other issues and RG3 really isn't 1 of them.  Bob would easily yield a 1st round pick and more but it doesn't matter because he's not going to be traded.  Dan loves him :)

I love RG but any other QB in the league that suffered his injuries would be seriously hindered in trade value, regardless of how he was before the injury.  If he had two leg surgeries before the draft he would have been passed over because of the risk.  The question isn’t if I want RG to come back and win, but if its even possible.  That makes him questionable in trade.  

I love RG but any other QB in the league that suffered his injuries would be seriously hindered in trade value, regardless of how he was before the injury.  If he had two leg surgeries before the draft he would have been passed over because of the risk.  The question isn’t if I want RG to come back and win, but if its even possible.  That makes him questionable in trade.

Carson Palmer was old, had a huge contract and had one of the worst knee injuries ever and he fetched a 1st and a 2nd so....

With regards to the Cam Newton Sophmore slump.

There was none.  There was just a horrible,  horrible primetime game at the start of the season,  and he was automatically claimed,  by the media,  as a soph slumper.                 In '12,  he had over 4,500 total yards and 27 total TD,  12 Int.     The Panthers weren't winning because their 4th Quarter defense would let them down time and time again.             Cam led the offense down to get the lead,  in plenty of those losses,  his first two years,  only to watch his defense let the other team march right down the field with 30s-2 min left,  to score.

Against the Pats this year,  Cam led his offense down to score the game winning td,  with 58s left on the clock.  He is talked up as clutch in that game,  but had the Panthers defense let Tom Brady and the Pats finish their drive and get that TD,  everyone would be rambling about how Cam isn't clutch..  When the guy had nothing to do with Brady and the Pats coming back.

RG3 will be FINE.    People will always spout off about Wins = Qb Stat.     Once the Skins build their Oline up,  and give him slightly better receiving weapons,  the Skins will be rolling again on the offense side of the ball.

I realize this is just a question by the OP, but why are you even thinking it? We moved 3-1sts and a 2nd for him, so unless we get something damn near that, I wouldn't even respond to the offer. Cousins looked solid, this is true, but RG3 healthy looked incredible. I mean last season the Giants' players were wishing the football gods sent him somewhere else, Dallas Stadium was chanting his name, and football analysts everywhere were enamored by him. The guy just needs to fully heal, he also needs to be rid of that brace. Next season we will add a legit #2 receiver, hopefully a RT, LG, and a C as well, plus Jordan Reed will have an entire offseason to become more dangerous. 

So to answer your question, no I would not deal him, unless someone were offering the house. Next year the league will be back on the RG3 wagon, even if some of our own are ready to bail today. 

No way. Trading Kirk now would be a dumb move by this team. I'm sorry, but putting all of our eggs in the RG3 basket at this time is very risky. A 2nd round pick is not worth it to trade Cousins. Yeah, if the pick turns out to be a playmaker and Robert is back to form then it can be worth it. If we draft a so-so player that's simply okay with the 2nd round pick and Robert still doesn't look right, then it would be horrible.

Similarly, if we wait a year and Robert returns to form and Kirk doesn't play and is down to only one year left on his attractive rookie contract and we can only get a 3rd round or less for him instead of a high 2 or 1 we get offered this year, that would be horrible. It's easy to craft potentially horrible situations no matter what we do

I love RG but any other QB in the league that suffered his injuries would be seriously hindered in trade value, regardless of how he was before the injury. If he had two leg surgeries before the draft he would have been passed over because of the risk. The question isn’t if I want RG to come back and win, but if its even possible. That makes him questionable in trade.

So one surgery... He's reasonable to take with one of the top two picks in the draft and trade multiple 1s for him

Two surgeries....5th round pick

Gotcha

This thread is something that needs to be revisited in a year. Ultimately we really don't know what we have.  We know we have big potential in both with one giving us a glimpse of our potential with a franchise qb.  Following the 2014 season we'll have to make a decision and put all our eggs in one basket. 

IMO one of the two will need to be traded prior to the 2015 season.  Griffin has the higher ceiling and most likely the qb we keep barring injury. I like KC but It's only fair that he gets the opportunity to compete for a starting position on another team.  Hopefully an AFC team like the Browns or Raiders.

Any talk of trading EITHER player this offseason is ridiculous and knee-jerk reactionary. Seriously folks, what's the hurry?!

Based on what we have seen this year--- regression in passing ability, arrogance putting himself ahead of the team, no pocket presence, turnover machine, history of injury, nightmare PR internally for the team, rarely made a good throw, and well I could keep going...

And for all of you that say give him a year, that he is our franchise QB...you could be correct but the next 3 years will be much like this. Why did he make it such a specticle to play? He annointes himself--- "He gives the team the best chance to win". Maybe with his legs, but his play last year will lend to a short NFL career. He was never a traditional pocket QB, he ran a gimmick offense, and his inability to take feedback or coaching makes him too much of a project. And I am not an over the top Cousins guy, put he runs the offense much more proficiently

The truth is any team dumb enough to trade for a 1 & 2, we should really consider. Last year was great guys, but truly looking at everything form a logical perspective it could be one of the greatest decisions in Skins history if we can pull it off trading an ego maniac, uncoachable, places blame on others, and injury prone player.

What if Shanny  and Kyle comes back and Robert asks to be traded?  He says he refuses to play for Kyle and Shanny.

That's the only way I see any trading of Robert coming about.  We will have suitors.

As for Kirk;  if you can get a second round pick or first round pick next year; trade him.   We can resign Rex and we will probably draft another QB in rounds 5 thru 7.  Kirk's value probably will never be higher.

I could see that RG3 scenario playing out,....possibly.

Even if Kirk has plays well in the next two games no way the Skins get anymore than a 3rd rounder for him.  A 1st?  Ha,...laughable. 

Based on what we have seen this year--- regression in passing ability, arrogance putting himself ahead of the team, no pocket presence, turnover machine, history of injury, nightmare PR internally for the team, rarely made a good throw, and well I could keep going...

And for all of you that say give him a year, that he is our franchise QB...you could be correct but the next 3 years will be much like this. Why did he make it such a specticle to play? He annointes himself--- "He gives the team the best chance to win". Maybe with his legs, but his play last year will lend to a short NFL career. He was never a traditional pocket QB, he ran a gimmick offense, and his inability to take feedback or coaching makes him too much of a project. And I am not an over the top Cousins guy, put he runs the offense much more proficiently

The truth is any team dumb enough to trade for a 1 & 2, we should really consider. Last year was great guys, but truly looking at everything form a logical perspective it could be one of the greatest decisions in Skins history if we can pull it off trading an ego maniac, uncoachable, places blame on others, and injury prone player.

yeah

if you're going to post something crazy like that, post it like an adult please

Wow man, he's 23 years young.  It's not like he's Jeff Jorge but according to you maybe he is.  Your last paragraph sums up your feelings for Griffin.  

If this team trades RG3 I'm done.  No way that happens.  I hate how there is a QB controversy here. Thanks Shannahan.  WTF is going on!!  you don't give up 3 #1's and #2 for a franchise qb who leads you to the playoffs only to trade him after 2 seasons..   Seriously???

The Problem is, we gave up too much for him.  That in itself was crazy and shanny was right.  We could have 2-3 other players helping us grow this team.  Its all about money.  The minute RG stops selling jersey’s (which is happening at an extremely fast pace right now) things for RG will be dramatically different.  

And a franchise tag has to be earned, not given.  One season makes no one a franchise QB even if you were stupid enough to give away all your pics.  

Similarly, if we wait a year and Robert returns to form and Kirk doesn't play and is down to only one year left on his attractive rookie contract and we can only get a 3rd round or less for him instead of a high 2 or 1 we get offered this year, that would be horrible. It's easy to craft potentially horrible situations no matter what we do

So one surgery... He's reasonable to take with one of the top two picks in the draft and trade multiple 1s for him

Two surgeries....5th round pick

Gotcha

Yes!  We’ve seen what he can’t do without his legs.  Teams aren’t scared of him anymore and the D’s are making his arm beat them which hasn’t worked this season.  Not saying he won’t be a good passer but right now he’s WAY behind that bell curve.  So yes, a 3rd thru 5th rounder with two leg surgeries (which are major injuries by the way) is about right.  

You do know they were ACL injuries right??  This isn’t hamstring or a sprained ankle.  All you have to do is look at McNabb before and after he hurt his knee.  Night and day and Mcnabb was a beast when he could run or throw on ya.

I would rather trade RG3 and develop Cousins. Im not being an RG3 hater but I think last years success was partly due to a gimmick offense AKA the read option / pistol. RG3 isnt vey accurate even last year many deep balls were off but luckily caught. He isnt a pocket passer and that doesnt mean he cant be developed into one. I would rather go with Cousins though personally. 

I like his quick decisions, pocket awareness, and ability to scout quickly his 2 and 3rd reads. Again I understand RG3 could possibly do this as well but Im going on what Ive seen and my opinion only.

Of course I also believe we have bad coaching because theres never any improvements in any phase of the game....its always the same mistakes week in and week out so I understand thats also a big problem. 

Why would you want to trade either RG or KC ? I think you guys are very lucky to have 2 good QBs , it's never a bad thing to be deep into them. RG will have growing pains PERIOD even more so rushing back from a injury . Kirk will make a great back up when needed and being a Pocket passer makes him more reliable as a backup since he has less chances of being hurt than a dual threat. How many years did Rodgers sit behind Farve or Young behind Montana ?

It takes time to groom a QB and RG unfourntuitly will need more after the ACL and switching to a more Passing Scheme .  It makes no sense to have to go Trade a QB just to try and find a replacement that will be a big question mark.  Yea a draft pick will be nice but all there are is BIG QUESTON marks . Some have a better chance than others but don't fool yourself thinking they are more than that.

As an Eagles fan I think you guys will be a great team in the next few years as soon as everything clicks . The reason I say a few years is  this , 1. New coach = no scheme for the team to work on 2. RG needs to work on being a traditional Pocket passer , that is not easy examples McNabb and Vick . As soon as Reid tried to change both of them , their game went down big time .

Yes! We’ve seen what he can’t do without his legs. Teams aren’t scared of him anymore and the D’s are making his arm beat them which hasn’t worked this season. Not saying he won’t be a good passer but right now he’s WAY behind that bell curve. So yes, a 3rd thru 5th rounder with two leg surgeries (which are major injuries by the way) is about right.

You do know they were ACL injuries right?? This isn’t hamstring or a sprained ankle. All you have to do is look at McNabb before and after he hurt his knee. Night and day and Mcnabb was a beast when he could run or throw on ya.

People get that he tore his ACL twice. Frank Gore also tore his ACL twice and he's done pretty well for himself.

I would rather trade RG3 and develop Cousins. Im not being an RG3 hater but I think last years success was partly due to a gimmick offense AKA the read option / pistol. RG3 isnt vey accurate even last year many deep balls were off but luckily caught. He isnt a pocket passer and that doesnt mean he cant be developed into one. I would rather go with Cousins though personally.

I like his quick decisions, pocket awareness, and ability to scout quickly his 2 and 3rd reads. Again I understand RG3 could possibly do this as well but Im going on what Ive seen and my opinion only.

Of course I also believe we have bad coaching because theres never any improvements in any phase of the game....its always the same mistakes week in and week out so I understand thats also a big problem.

Read option isn't really a gimmick like the wildcat. Alot of teams are running some read option as part of their offense now (even Denver had done some with manning). You can't live and die with it but I think it's going to stay in the NFL. Rg3's accuracy was definitely off this year due to his footwork but his accuracy was pretty darn good last year (I don't think you can call 65% comp percentage lucky).

Archived