Springfield

Friday After Next

tumblr_mk1tbzMX7T1r5sijeo1_500.gif

Scrooged

Nat Lampoon's Xmas Vacation

Christmas Story of course

Bad Santa

Silent Night Deadly Night

Both are actually awful movies, but they capture the spirit of the holiday best for me.

Dude, Bad Santa....awful?!  One of the funniest movies ever made!

Did people recently start saying Die Hard in the last few years? Seems like that one came out of nowhere.

This was a point of argument on Mike and Mike earlier this week (maybe this morning, I don't really remember); Apparently Greenberg considers it a Christmas movie because at the beginning of the movie he's trying to get home to his family.

That said, 'Elf' is the only Christmas movie I can get behind.

My top 5

Nightmare Before Christmas

A Christmas Story

Every single version of Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" (my favorite is the version with Alastair Sim)

It's a Wonderful Life

Holiday Inn

Good list.  I love Nightmare Before Christmas too.  I like the George C Scott TV movie version.  I grew up watching that one.  George C Scott is absolutely delightful.  His scrooge is paradoxically likable and fun.

Another one I like is the stop motion Rudolph movie that Burl Ives narrates and sings in.  It's darker than I remember though.  Lots of angst about being misfits and they pulled the Snow Monster's teeth out.  Also that mountaineer's tongue is kind of bizarre.

And I love the classic animated version of How The Grinch Stole Christmas with Boris Karloff narrating.  Not sure that counts as a movie though since it's so short.

And White Christmas.  I like the Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye pairing.

Its a Wonderful Life and Die Hard aren't Christmas movies.

Tell that to the networks who've played It's a Wonderful Life during Christmas season for a million years. It's a Christmas tradition now.

Another movie that's become a Christmas movie over time because TV networks play it during the season is Sound of Music. Has nothing about Christmas in the film, but there it is. And "My Favorite Things" has become a Christmas standard appearing on dozens of Christmas albums with everyone from Tony Bennett and Johnny Mathis performing it, to Kenny Rogers and Kenny G.

They've been thoroughly co-opted by Christmas. And it's happening to Die Hard now as well. And I'm not complaining.

Archived