Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What are the best Christmas movies?

Springfield

Another one I like is the stop motion Rudolph movie that Burl Ives narrates and sings in.  It's darker than I remember though.  Lots of angst about being misfits and they pulled the Snow Monster's teeth out.  Also that mountaineer's tongue is kind of bizarre.

This one was left off my list but is one of my favorites from my childhood and still. 

Tell that to the networks who've played It's a Wonderful Life during Christmas season for a million years. It's a Christmas tradition now.

Yeah it's definitely part of the season now which is one thing just incorrectly considered a Christmas movie which bugs me. 

Never noticed the Sound of Music being on a lot. I'll probably notice it all the time now. Die Hard should never be considered a Christmas movie either. 

I remember seeing Christmas In Connecticut with my grandparents one year. I barely remember what it was about ( I was about 8-9), but my grandmother loved it (she was a huge Barbara Stanwyck fan).

But yeah, my single most favorite is probably Jingle All The Way, followed closely by Home Alone 2: Lost In New York. I can't get enough of either. I've seen both probably at least 40 times at this point, but they never get old.

Where do you think you're going? Nobody's leaving. Nobody's walking out on this fun, old-fashioned family Christmas. No, no. We're all in this together. This is a full-blown, four-alarm holiday emergency here. We're gonna press on, and we're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny ****ing Kaye. And when Santa squeezes his fat white ass down that chimney tonight, he's gonna find the jolliest bunch of assholes this side of the nuthouse.

I like Elf a lot, and Bill Murray's Scrooged is a lot of fun

~Bang

Scrooged is all over the map tonally. I think Roger Ebert wrote that when Murray yells in that movie, it feels like he is really yelling. It has moments, but it kind of makes me depressed to watch it straight through.

Elf is probably the best recent Christmas movie.

Thanks for the great thread. Just watched Home Alone with my 8 year old son. He had never seen it. Can't remember laughing this much in a long time.

It's a funny thing that Home Alone.

We decided to watch Christmas movies at work on the TV in our office (which has a waiting area for customers) this year. We were limited to Netflix and about a dozen DVD's. We quickly ran out of movies and started repeating movies...

Home Alone captured our customer's interest like none of the other movies. It's as if they were drawn to it. I'd look over the desk and people were just drawn into the movie. Add to that, I did not mind watching it over and over and over and over. One day we watched Home Alone 4 times in a row and I didn't get tired of it. It really speaks to how great that movie is.

Archived