Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Andrew Luck Appreciation Thread

Bubble Screen

I don't buy the tank. Players aren't going to lose games on purpose because nobody wants to be associated with 3-13, and if you tank for a draft pick there is no guarantee you'll have a job the next year with that team anyway.

Now GM/Coaches might make the decision to play young guys("evaluation purposes" as Shanahan would say)but ultimately come Sundays you're still doing everything in your power to win. I mean its not like they were punting on 1st down and doing all out punt block blitzes on defense.

I certainly don't think Calldwell was in on any tank, because his ass got fired after that season.  I can't imagine that he was like, "Yeah, ok, I'll tank the season, you can pick Luck and then fire me. Sounds like a great plan!"  

So, Indy can win with some old backup QB when not having to suck for Luck. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=400791487

And, as noted above, the division sucks again this year and has sucked for years, including the 2011 suck for Luck. 

Indy - 2 wins

Jacks - 5 wins

Ten - 9 wins

Hous - 10 wins

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2011/

So, Indy can win with some old backup QB when not having to suck for Luck. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=400791487

And, as noted above, the division sucks again this year and has sucked for years, including the 2011 suck for Luck. 

Indy - 2 wins

Jacks - 5 wins

Ten - 9 wins

Hous - 10 wins

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2011/

but, but i thought it was Luck who carried the garbage colts, they would NOTHING without Luck... Russell Wilson or Cam Newton wouldnt make the playoffs with the Colts roster lol

Anyone else ever listen to Colin Cowherd?  I know he doesn't have a lot of fans around here (and rightfully so) but I listen on occasion and it typically is a love fest for Luck.  It is constantly talk about how Luck is asked to do so much and how there is no talent surrounding Luck.  Talk about how bad Pagano is as a coach.  How ironic that a sick old Hassleback can go in and get two wins with that same team.

Of course Cowherd won't even discuss these wins. 

• 3 weeks later...

Seriously, give it up for Luck. How many other QBs can have 1 win through week 8 and be in first place in their division? Sure, it helps having your backup go 2-0 against division rivals in 2 straight weeks to give you the tiebreakers, but come on. 1-5 through week 8 and a division lead? Only Luck.

Elite.

His accuracy has been awful this season. Is he injured? Is he just having a bad year? Even great QB's go through bad stretches. He does lead the NFL in INTs with 12, though somehow he has a positive TD/INT ratio (barely), at 13 TDs to 12 INT's.

I'm not going to write him off, but he's definitely playing much worse than the previous 3 years.

Luck now out 2-6 weeks with an abdominal tear and lacerated kidney. 

That fricking sucks and it must hurt like hell. The Colts should put him on IR and let Hasselbeck play the rest of the season. Afterall, a 5-11 record can win the AFC South. 

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2015/11/10/colts-qb-andrew-luck-out-2-6-weeks/75527140/

All it takes is the coach  playing the right (wrong) players. You can't tell me you're legitimately trying to win when you start Dan Orlovsky and Curtis Painter at QB despite knowing all offseason you won't have Peyton, and make no attempt to get even a journeyman starter who could win 4-5 games. Yes, I know it was Orlovsky that eventually got them their 2 wins.

Sounds good. It's nearly completely wrong. But it sounds good.

1: the colts didn't know all offseason Peyton was going to miss the season - everyone including Peyton expected him to be ready for training camp. It was the delays in his recovery that led to missing the season, not the initial surgery and diagnoses.

2: the colts did sign a veteran journeyman once it was known Peyton wouldn't start the season (he was still expected back) - they signed Kerry Collins to an $8m deal who then got hurt very early in the season, leading to painter getting the start. They eventually switched to Orlovsky.

3: do you realize the coach was fired? The one you insinuated purposely played the wrong players in an effort to tank? Not sure what his motivation to tank was. Gm and his son was fired too. Maybe they were the ones directing the tanking? Again, not sure what they got out of it though.

4: the team completely cleaned house with players too and switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense. Not sure why you do that when you are secretly good. but it should be easy to name some good players the Colts released considering they were so good and they nearly turned the roster completely over. Please give it a try, I'd love to hear the list.

It amazes me that people can't understand what happened to the colts. It's really pretty simple. Hell look at the drop off in the skins from RGIIIs rookie year compared to his second year and tell me how important QB play is. Especially to a team that is mediocre at best. The Colts were at that point a mediocre team with HOF QB play. When that was replaced with below average QB play the other flaws became very evident. Eventually picking at the bottom of the 1st round takes its toll. There were other factors as well - the nepotism in the organization and the eroding of the coaching staff, but not having HOF QB play was the biggest factor. But whatever, believe what you want. At least try to get some of the actual facts straight.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived