Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pizza Thread

Zguy28

Gentlemen Jim's - Gaithersburg

Legendary for its unique flavor. A must for any Washingtonian.

I'm not far from Gaithersburg. I'm going to try that place out tomorrow when I get off work.

I remember watching an episode of No Reservations, and apparently, Portland has some very good pizzerias as well.

I'm not far from Gaithersburg. I'm going to try that place out tomorrow when I get off work.

I remember watching an episode of No Reservations, and apparently, Portland has some very good pizzerias as well.

I've been eating their pizza for damn near 50 years. They used to be in Wheaton and prior to that downtown DC (as Cavalier's). When peeps come to visit us in richmond they know to bring a Gentleman Jim's pizza.

Don't kill it with a bunch of toppings. Not needed at all. I go plain. It's the ballz.

Damn. I lived a miles from Gentleman Jim's for 15-20 years (I forget when it opened there) and I used to eat there with my parents about 5 times a month. I NEVER had pizza there. Now I feel ripped off. Going to have to take a road trip!!

Just a side note - people from northeast PA, Wilkes barre Scranton are pizza fiends. And they will swear till death they can't get good pie elsewhere. And they're not slices, they are rectangles and called "cuts." My wife is one of 'em.

Damn. I lived a miles from Gentleman Jim's for 15-20 years (I forget when it opened there) and I used to eat there with my parents about 5 times a month. I NEVER had pizza there. Now I feel ripped off. Going to have to take a road trip!!

Just a side note - people from northeast PA, Wilkes barre Scranton are pizza fiends. And they will swear till death they can't get good pie elsewhere. And they're not slices, they are rectangles and called "cuts." My wife is one of 'em.

That's funny because I've never had anything but pizza there. Some fond memories as a kid going to pick up pizza at the joint in Wheaton.

It's a unique flavor: flakey crust, slightly sweet sauce, tangy cheese. Never had anything close to it anywhere I've traveled.

And I'd nail my sack to a road in Moscow for the recipe....

I was hooked on their "Patty's Pride" which was renamed "Pete's Pride" - open faced turkey sandwich with gravy.

But I'll save that review for the "Open Faced Turkey Sandwich Thread"

That reminds me. I seem to recall Jerry's pizza being pretty good, but it's been so long. Could just be fond memories. Used to go to the one in Flower Hill and at Lakeforest Mall.

By the way, that pizza in the first post was cut by someone with poor depth perception.

HA! I thought I was the only one anal retentive enough to notice that. :blink:  How on earth does one make that kind of screw up when slicing a pizza? I'm sure it eats just as good though.

That reminds me. I seem to recall Jerry's pizza being pretty good, but it's been so long. Could just be fond memories. Used to go to the one in Flower Hill and at Lakeforest Mall.

I remember Jerry's pizza fondly. I can still hear the "Ooh, ooh Jerry's" jingle in my head. I was back in the area recently to be with my sister in her last days and decided I needed some comfort food so I stopped by Jerry's for lunch. Of the choice between the cheese steak and the pizza, I chose the former. It was pretty, meh...probably should have gone with the pizza but I suspect it might have been as meh as the cheese steak.

When I moved to Atlanta, I was pretty surprised that there's as much good food here as there is, especially the quality and variety of ethnic foods. I mean really good food. Pizza is no different in terms of the quality and variety of offerings.

I don't think it's fair or worthwhile to compare different types of pizza joints so I break them down into two categories, the authentic gourmet type and the simpler stuff. Both can be very good depending on what I'm in the mood for.

Of the authentic/gourmet joints, I'd have to say the best I've had in Atlanta is probably Fritti, with Antico Pizza and maybe Avellino's coming in a close second. When I'm in the mood for something more everyday, it's Oz Pizza, Fellini's and Mellow Mushroom. Yes, the latter is a chain but they make a hell of a great pie.

There is a place in Laurel, MD called Pasta Plus in a little strip mall that looks like nothing.  They have brick wood fired ovens there and some of the best pizza ever.  Also great Italian food. 

Bob....next time you're near Annapolis try http://www.vin909.com  A farm to table restaurant in an old Sears Roebuck house in Eastport.  They have a brick oven pizza with some amazing seasonal combinations.  Some great beers as well.   Get there early or prepare to wait!

Well, it USED to be the best around. There used to be a bakery in that center that they got their dough from.

i haven't eaten there much for a good while.

Ruddy Duck in Solomons makes some really good individual pizzas, brick oven.. the meat lovers is excellent.

~Bang

Since my wife and I moved back here, I've been dying to go to Ruddy Duck. This makes me want to go there even more lol

Bob....next time you're near Annapolis try http://www.vin909.com  A farm to table restaurant in an old Sears Roebuck house in Eastport.  They have a brick oven pizza with some amazing seasonal combinations.  Some great beers as well.   Get there early or prepare to wait!

Hope to do that this summer.  A really good friend of mine just bought a house a block off the beach in Ocean City, MD at the Delaware border, so I will be passing Annapolis often.  We plan to spend many a weekend drinking on the porch up there.

Ledo's best in DC area. 

A few months ago, there was a survey on Zagat or Eater on the best pizza in the DC area. Matchbox is somewhere on the list, as is Ledo, and a bunch of small places. I will try to find the link and post it here. 

http://dc.eater.com/archives/2013/06/27/eater-readers-favorite-and-least-favorite-pizzas.php

I don't think I ever had Deep Dish pizza before. People keep talking about that District of Pi place that is number 2 on the list. Since I didn't make it to We The Pizza last night, I think I might see what's up with this Pi place... Thanks.

The best pizza I've ever eaten I got while I was in Italy (big surprise..lol)..can't remember the name of the place but it was in Naples..

Best pizza stateside is a little place here in Va Beach called Ray's Pizza..NY style...the pizza's are HUGE..you have to fold the slice in half to fit it into your mouth...you get an xl pie w/garlic knots and 10 wings and a soda for $24.99...it is so good!

I worked at Jerrys for a few months in the 80's - anyone remember the Jammer? or later called the Italian Thing (just a calzone).. they would throw the unused ones out at night, so I would just put them in a bag and take them home, somtimes 50 or more. Fed my family for a month... 

I liked Jerrys's pizza but it has to be eaten there in the store - anymore than 10 minutes and all the flavor evaporates. The best part of Jerrys was the price- Large $5.99 Pep pizza is hard to beat - back in the day, of course.

For anyone from the Wheaton S/S area remember Pizza Oven on Georgia ave or Pops Pizzeria in Wheaton?

Also - for a real throwback to the late 70's Trolley Car Pizza in Wheaton?

And how about Shakeys pizza in Bethesda? That was some seriously good deep dish pie.

Damn, I am hungry.

Archived