Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pizza Thread

Zguy28

By the way, that pizza in the first post was cut by someone with poor depth perception.

That's the way it looks at all of Frank Pepe's locations in Connecticut. I've been to the New Haven one in Little Italy and to the one in Fairfield. It was the same both times. Anyway, does it really matter if it is like heaven to the taste buds? I think not.

What I found interesting too was that they sell a "regular" pie which has no cheese. Only crust and sauce. I'm a cheese lover, so its kind of weird.

Deep Dish (or really any pizza) Burts Place right outside of Evanston Ill.   Not everybody likes Deep Dish but honestly, this might be the best Pizza ever.

YjIJFMPLgIg5i3-640m.jpg

In Maryland, it's really hard to get good Pizza IMO.  Maybe I just don't know where to go, maybe Ledo's.   They have a decent tasting crust but it's far from what I really like in Pizza.  Guess I'm still looking.

There is a place in Durango called Diorios.  Not sure why, maybe it's because you come off the slopes and your hungry but that pizza is always great.  It's a college joint, kids coming in and just picking up pizzas and heading over to the bars (the place is surrounded by bars) to scarf Pizza and drink a few.  It's right on Main, they do NY Style Pizza and they make their own crust, fresh ingredients, been known to go in there and you can smell the weed from the back though, it's that kind of college pizzaria.   I guess they figure, if we gotta be working........   Anyway, that Pizza is great pizza.

Best I can do for a Pic.

MAtRyy8At480uP-640m.jpg

Around here (Albuquerque),  the best Pizza is a place called the Slice Parlor.  No pics, there just a little place off Central, right by the University.  Huge slices, fresh made crust, they use fresh Hatch Green Chile.  I love the Pepproni and Green Chile with extra cheese.  For 9 bucks, you can get a giant slice and two beers and be good to go. 

pizza is a round of dough)(with spring water,Yusuf knows, spread properly, then masturbated with cheese.(you with me, fellas?)somma uour besta sauca, then whateva.

Mellow Mushroom is awesome, and as close as I can get to real.  Fellinis is a little farther down the road...

Was that an autocorrect?

• 3 weeks later...

I have finally gotten my pizza making down. Whole wheat crust made using Mushroom/Sage olive oil, cooked on a preheated pizza stone at 600degrees indirect on a weber gas with hickory chunks smoking. Cooks a pie in 9 min.s/ Toppings galore, varieties are endless. Love artichoke, spinach and bacon. Chicken capers and arugula is awesome to. Of course block or fresh mozzarella, not already shredded is a key.  My homemade sauce always, I have previously put that up, simple, plentiful and delicious. 

SWFLSkins

Should be Famous by Now, Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

Featuring Naples Olive Oil

This is the best and will entice anyone near the kitchen with the aroma of the best oils available.

1. 1.5 cups of whole wheat flour

2. 1.5 cups of unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading, rolling and cooking.

3. 1. tsp. of fine sea salt or kosher salt.

4. 1 packet of active dry yeast. 1 cup of very warm water (100-110 degrees)

5. Most importantly, a 1/4 cup of Naples Olive Oil, I prefer Wild Mushroom and Sage. Sometimes I cut it by half with pure Naples Olive Oil depending on the mood.

Put yeast in small bowl add water, then sugar, stir to combine.

Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes. (if no foam, start over with new yeast.)

In a large bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour and 1 teaspoon of salt. Form a well in the center of the flour.

Add the Naples olive oil to the well with clean hands mix together. Add yeast mixture and mix to combine. On a lightly floured work surface, knead for 6 minutes. Form dough into a ball, put in an oiled bowl and cover with a clean dishtowel and let the dough rise at room temperature for 90 minutes.

Roll dough out very thin without making any holes, pinch outer crust. Minimum sauce and top to your liking. This makes four medium pizzas, simple and the best. Get creative with the toppings, Pesto white with Roasted Red Peppers, Arugula with Chicken Sausage, Grilled Zucchini, Roasted Garlic and Fresh Basil are our favorites.

Hey SWFLskins, great recipe once you get a system down homemade pizza is the way to go.  

Just a couple quick tips because I got waaaay to into pizza making about a decade ago and totally dorked out on the science behind it.  First, not a big deal, but yeast viability usually peaks around 90-95F when rehydrating and falls off as you get warmer.  You'd could see a 25% jump in yeast viability by lowering the temp just a little bit.  

Also, I'd recommend a cold slow rise for the dough.  The biggest jump in quality I saw in my pizza was when I switched from rising the dough for a few hours the day of, to letting it rise for two days in the fridge.  The dough became more flavorful and I got a lot more "spring" when I threw it on the stone.  In the cold the yeast produce CO2 much more slowly and form more smaller pockets.  This helps with crisp outer crust, with more of a tender soft center.  

And now I convinced myself to make some dough tonight...

There this place in Sacramento called Pizza Rock.  They make Pizza in a bunch of different styles, but the one my wife & I really love is the "Pizza Romana"  It's basically a thin crust, rectangle pizza made 3 ways, 6 pieces of each style

Here's is a pic of what we got. It was delicious. And even though it is thin crust, we were filled up plenty by the end.

l.jpg

Absolutely.  A little hole in the wall called McLean Pizza holds a special place in my heart, but I seriously doubt it was nearly as good as I remember it being from my youth.   Anyone from NoVa been there recently?  Does it still exist?

Its still there..and i ordered from there a bunch when i first moved back to the area.   But truth be told...its not great  (its not terrible or anything, just not great) 

if i REALLY want pizza, i order from the Italian Store in the Lyon Villiage shopping center (right where Lee hwy hits I-66).   Its really really good :)   ginormous greasy chewy thin pizzas.  

awesomeness. 

pizza-all-map-2c.png?fit=954%2C6000

I ate some "pizza" at a chuck-e-cheese a few months ago...

chuck-e-cheese pizza really isn't very good.

I cannot exaggerate how much it sucked.  it paled in comparison to my memories of the pizza from my high school cafeteria.  As a kid I once I tried to make pizza by puttting ketchup and american cheese on a slice of white bread... that was MUCH better than the chuck-e-cheese crap.  Even my kids (8 10 and 12) hated the crap.  they were nearly in tears because they thought i was not going to let them stay at chuck-e-cheese and play chuck-e-games unless they agreed to eat teh chuck-e-turd pizza.

I didn't make them eat the pizza...and you know.. i think they would've left (and not played games) in order to avoid eating the pizza... and that is the little kid equivelent to gnawing off your own foot to get out of a trap.

chuck-e-cheese pizza really isn't very good.

mcsluggo, lmao!  You're so right!  We had my grandson's 5th BD party there...UGH!  CeCe's is a little better, but check out this story...

My ex-boss got the ultimate revenge.  His son is a very large guard on a local HS football team.  He took the entire offensive line to  CeCe's.  His son alone ate 27 pieces of pizza...that's just the count I got from his mom!

No one goes to Chuck E Cheeze for the food.

You go to Chuck E Cheeze because you are totally exhausted and you can buy 20 bucks worth of tokens and safely let your kids run wild without fear that they will be abducted and they will spend the tokens and win some little plastic rings and a superball and climb around in the structure and leave you the hell alone for just a few goddam minutes please and you can doze in the booth.   If you are tired enough even the crappy animatronic band won't disturb you.     

At least that's how I remember it.

you remember it all wrong.....

it the place you go, and buy $20 in tokens for your kids... and then spend the next 45 minutes grabbing them back FROM your kids so you can ride push some strange kid out of your way and ride the Jamaican bobsled vdeo game for the 15th consecutive time... until you get a migrane and leave

Um no....

You go to Chuck E Cheese and get $20 worth of tokens for your kids, and then you go play one game of Super Shot. Until some other dudes come over there faking, which at that point you buy yourself $20 worth of tokens and spend it all letting fools know you're the best at shooting basketball on a continuous moving rim...

Archived