Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pizza Thread

Zguy28

Personally, I think DC as a whole sucks for food.  Just my opinion.  I eat out A LOT and I will admit that there are some good places in the city.  *Stephen A. Smith voice* HOWEVA, *Stephen A. SMith voice* if given a choice between going to a restaurant in DC vs. B-More, I'll choose the latter every time because I think the food is better and there are more options. 

Personally, I think DC as a whole sucks for food.  Just my opinion.  I eat out A LOT and I will admit that there are some good places in the city.  *Stephen A. Smith voice* HOWEVA, *Stephen A. SMith voice* if given a choice between going to a restaurant in DC vs. B-More, I'll choose the latter every time because I think the food is better and there are more options. 

Are you the mayor of Toronto? Maybe if we're talking down home cooking, but the diversity of food and you can get good food from a hole in the wall to a 5-star restaurant. No contest. 

Are you the mayor of Toronto? Maybe if we're talking down home cooking, but the diversity of food and you can get good food from a hole in the wall to a 5-star restaurant. No contest. 

Maybe you can refresh my memory of this GREAT restaurant I was eating at in Little Italy in DC...oh, wait.  That never happened.  Carry on. 

Living in Baltimore... There is little to no good ethnic food.  Outside of Fells Point, there's basically no Latin American food options outside of Chipotle.  There are maybe two decent Chinese food options and two great Thai spots.  Dukem is the only Ethiopian around, and it's in DC, too.  I'm sorry, but there is no way Baltimore is a better food town unless you're looking exclusively at traditional American, Italian, or Greek offerings (Woodbury Kitchen is amazing, btw).  That said, Isabella's in Baltimore's Little Italy is about the best pizza I've ever had.    

Having lived both DC and Baltimore, baltimore is a better food town.

Washingtonians just can't stand to hear baltimore is better than them in anything.

One it's a pizza thread.  Two, your post has no supporting evidence.

Having worked in both areas, Washington is a better food town.

Baltimorians just can't stand to hear washington is better than them in anything.

It's true both ways and a silly argument.

In new york I had a "Grandmothers Pizza" which was almost like a deep dish italian meal not like a pizza.  Fresh basil and sauce.

I LOVE PIZZA.

Ledo's is my favorite - a must have when I visit DC. I even inquired about opening a location here in the Cincinnati area... nothing came of it...  Followed by Armands - that was some good Pie.

Locally here in Cincinnati, there is a NY Style joint called Goodfellas - excellent. There is another place called Deweys which is good & Mio's both NY Style. Thats my preference.

Nothing wrong with Chicago style deep dish either... Uno's is decent as well.

Bang, Nicoletti's, really? I hope there's one in Calvert that's better than the one in Lexington Park.

Forgot about Joe-Squared. Really good pizza as well. You're right though, Baltimore does have some really good food options.

Well, it USED to be the best around. There used to be a bakery in that center that they got their dough from.

i haven't eaten there much for a good while.

Ruddy Duck in Solomons makes some really good individual pizzas, brick oven.. the meat lovers is excellent.

~Bang

Well, it USED to be the best around. There used to be a bakery in that center that they got their dough from.

i haven't eaten there much for a good while.

Ruddy Duck in Solomons makes some really good individual pizzas, brick oven.. the meat lovers is excellent.

~Bang

I haven't been to Ruddy Duck in a while, but I do remember them having a good Margherita Pizza.

I know there's a "no chain's allowed" rule, but I still have to say Ledo's is the best pizza I've ever had. I haven't been able to travel much, and I've lived in the pizza wasteland known as Eastern North Carolina, so I'm no expert on the subject. 

We don't even have an Uno's here. It makes my soul hurt. 

I know there's a "no chain's allowed" rule, but I still have to say Ledo's is the best pizza I've ever had. I haven't been able to travel much, and I've lived in the pizza wasteland known as Eastern North Carolina, so I'm no expert on the subject. 

We don't even have an Uno's here. It makes my soul hurt. 

Ledo's is allowed in here. I like a good Ledo's Meatlovers. And the crust is gluten-free which is better on my stomach.

As I've gotten older, I've come to realize that pizza more or less has a ceiling. Pretty much any coal-oven place is going to taste the same and it's all going to be pretty good.

Good pizza has, like, ten ingredients.

The crust is flour, water, yeast, oil, salt, and sugar.

The sauce is tomatoes, oregano, garlic, and onion and maybe basil and maybe some wine.

The mozzarella is mozarella.

Pepperoni is salted, aged pig tendons; granted, I love it, but I have a hard time distinguishing quality. (To be honest, I may actually believe that Little Caesar's has the best pepperoni in the world).

The question is how fresh is the dough and how do you bake it? How good are the tomatoes? How fresh is the cheese?

Coal-oven places are the best because coal is awesome and you don't invest in a coal oven and not make the dough fresh daily. Sauce is sauce. I honestly preferred good canned tomatoes over fresh tomatoes most of the time, because you almost always know exactly what you are getting in canned. Good cheese is the deal-breaker.

I've been to Lombardi's. It's just as good as Russo's which is a chain, because fresh dough+coal=good.

I'm not sure if I buy the belief that New York's water is what makes its pizza special. But I don't not buy it either.

Ledo's is allowed in here. I like a good Ledo's Meatlovers. And the crust is gluten-free which is better on my stomach.

I respect people being gluten-free, but the entire point of pizza is gluten.

The best pizza I've ever had might just be this New York style place near my home, becuse it seems to be the only decent pizza in Texas that doesn't cost $9 per slice and requires parking in a strip mall.

Maybe you can refresh my memory of this GREAT restaurant I was eating at in Little Italy in DC...oh, wait.  That never happened.  Carry on. 

So one Italian restaurant ?

Tosca and that spot on P street Ehh..(ob..something or other) are amazing. Not cheap mind you, but great food and service.

But for DC,  pizza in general lacks overall. The giant slice you get near Madam's Organ place is the best in the city late night...otherwise plenty of great food no matter what you want.

Paridiso and Matchbox make some damn good pies though.

The other Chicago style is a "stuffed" pizza from places like Giordano's, Nancy's and Edwardo's.  This is one of the foods of the gods.   A Giordano's stuffed with fennel sausage and mushrooms is well worth a trip to Chicago - even if you do nothing else when you go there.  It's fantastic.

PwqQljM.gif

The issues I have with both kinds of Chicago "pizza" is a) it's not pizza because B) pizza is actually supposed to be a fairly "light" food. I mean, it is a large circle of dough so it is going to be filling, but it should be dough, some cheese, and a little tomato sauce. Chicago turns this simple food into a goddamn meatloaf at your aunt's house.

The issues I have with both kinds of Chicago "pizza" is a) it's not pizza because B) pizza is actually supposed to be a fairly "light" food. I mean, it is a large circle of dough so it is going to be filling, but it should be dough, some cheese, and a little tomato sauce. Chicago turns this simple food into a goddamn meatloaf at your aunt's house.

A Chicago stuffed "pie" is a glorious thing.   Who cares if it is called pizza or not?    Call it a pizza/scarciedda hybrid if you prefer - it still eats good.  

Yes, you will be as big as a Chicagoan if you eat it too often, but it is damn good.

Lots of great pizza places in NY. Fav kinds, buffalo pizza (drives me crazy when people call it chicken wing pizza) and tomato-bacon-ranch...heart attack city but so good. 

I wonder if I could open a restaurant selling fresh bread soaked in oils, fats, and salts, sell it for $7.50 a piece, and retire a millionaire within a year.

A Chicago stuffed "pie" is a glorious thing.   Who cares if it is called pizza or not?    Call it a pizza/scarciedda hybrid if you prefer - it still eats good.  

Yes, you will be as big as a Chicagoan if you eat it too often, but it is damn good.

It reminds me of a line from The Boondocks: I don't think human beings are supposed to eat this way.

It's more of a preference with me though. I grew up in an Italian family and don't really like lasagne because....come on.....

As I've gotten older, I've come to realize that pizza more or less has a ceiling. Pretty much any coal-oven place is going to taste the same and it's all going to be pretty good.

Good pizza has, like, ten ingredients.

The crust is flour, water, yeast, oil, salt, and sugar.

The sauce is tomatoes, oregano, garlic, and onion and maybe basil and maybe some wine.

The mozzarella is mozarella.

Pepperoni is salted, aged pig tendons; granted, I love it, but I have a hard time distinguishing quality. (To be honest, I may actually believe that Little Caesar's has the best pepperoni in the world).

The question is how fresh is the dough and how do you bake it? How good are the tomatoes? How fresh is the cheese?

Coal-oven places are the best because coal is awesome and you don't invest in a coal oven and not make the dough fresh daily. Sauce is sauce. I honestly preferred good canned tomatoes over fresh tomatoes most of the time, because you almost always know exactly what you are getting in canned. Good cheese is the deal-breaker.

I've been to Lombardi's. It's just as good as Russo's which is a chain, because fresh dough+coal=good.

I'm not sure if I buy the belief that New York's water is what makes its pizza special. But I don't not buy it either.

You and Stevemcqueen always have to break everything down. I mean, break... it... down. lol I ain't hating though.

Christian's Pizza out in Charlottesville is pretty good too. Also a shout out to Ardeo's out on Cape Cod. Good Greek pizza and other stuff like baba ghanoush.

Ledos pizza tastes very much like the cardboard box it comes in. Disgusting crap excuse for pizza.

I've eaten at at least 4 locations and it can be substantially different quality.

Pizza by location only is a fail, just like any other food.  I have eaten crappy pizza in new york and chicago.  I have eaten crappy subs in philly.  I have had terrible crabs in Maryland.  I have had my best pizza in new york, but they offer plenty of run of the mill pies.

Pizza is a combination of great sauce, perfect crust, high quality cheese and toppings, and a great oven.

Ledos pizza tastes very much like the cardboard box it comes in. Disgusting crap excuse for pizza.

Ledo's hardly tastes like cardboard.  Do you have a preference?

Americans primarily eat crap excuse for a pizza, they typically get free toppings on game day.

Archived