Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pizza Thread

Zguy28

What are some of the best pizza's you've had and where? We were having this discussion in the office today. It started with a discussion on whether Ledo's is decent or not. I think their pizza is ok in a pinch, but whatever.

What do you think is the best or very good and why? Let's see some pics too if we can.

For me, I've had many different pizzas, many different places. By far the best so far is Frank Pepe's Pizzeria Napoletana in New Haven CT. Charcoal fired oven and only pizza and salad on the menu.

http://www.pepespizzeria.com/

EDIT: adding some ground rules. No chain delivery joints like Dominoes, Pizza Hut, etc.

frank-pepe-s-pizzeria.jpg

Had a great pizza in Cape May, NJ. It was near our hotel, so I'm confident I could find it again. I've also had pizza in Florence that was pretty good too. 

I'm a dough guy. It has to have the right consistency and chewiness for me.

Ledo's is close to my mom in Bethesda. It's not awful but I've never raved about it either. I'd give it a B. Better than average, not nearly the best.

There's a place called Frank's here that's pretty darn good.

At Purdue there used to be a bar called the Boiler Market.  You could get a pitcher of anything they had on tap (including some decent stuff) and a medium 2-topping pizza for $11.99.  One night a week the price came down to $9.99.  It was AWESOME.

I could have sworn this thread was already made in some fashion.

Ehh, whatever.

Depends on the town/city and the level of BAC.

I love pizza.

You have to break it down into types of crust.

I like all types, but others will not.

For example I think stuffed crust pizza is stupid no matter who makes it unless you have one person for each original slice or two.

One thing I don't care for is the square pizzas like Ledos...don't get me wrong, I like their pizza just fine, I just won't eat the center pieces.

I like a crispy crust on my pizza regardless of style.

Ledos, ugh. I know it's a personal preference thing and most people in the area rave about them, but I'm not a fan. For me, pizza is about the dough and the sauce and the ratio of ingredients. Too much of any one thing, especially the cheese, and the pizza just isn't very good IMO...the ratio of ingredients in the OP looks about perfect to me. And yes, I am that one odd person who isn't really into cheese so maybe that makes my opinion of Ledo's more understandable for you all.

Similar to dfitz, the best pizza I've ever had came from a little Mom and Pop joint called Pizza Pub that used to be near Rollins College. We'd go there after wrestling matches when I was in school. Truth be told, I think some of the love for our favs like this comes from nostalgia but I guess that's a topic for another thread.  Anywho, their pizza was so great because of the quality of the two most important ingredients in a pizza, dough and sauce. The dough was crispy on the bottom yet still a bit chewy and the sauce was savory, tangy, a little smokey and not at all sweet which seems to be popular nowadays.

You know how I always rave about San Francisco food?  Well I can't do it this time.  Our pizza is mostly mediocre.   There are a few places that are decent, but none worth a special trip out of your way to get.

The best New York style pizza I ever had was from Mack's, a boardwalk stand in Seaside Heights, New Jersey.   But it burned down.  

Chicago Pizza is another story, almost a different type of food entirely.    It must be understood that there are two types of Chicago Pizza.  One is Chicago "deep dish" from places like Lou Malnati's, Uno's and Gino's East.   Those are a heavy, sloppy food abomination, and should be avoided at all costs.  Sadly, many people not familiar with Chicago don't like Chicago pizza because they have only had that style, and concluded (correctly) that it pretty much sucks.  

The other Chicago style is a "stuffed" pizza from places like Giordano's, Nancy's and Edwardo's.  This is one of the foods of the gods.   A Giordano's stuffed with fennel sausage and mushrooms is well worth a trip to Chicago - even if you do nothing else when you go there.  It's fantastic.

To reiterate, Chicago "deep dish" pizza, which looks like this:

cD0qWnB.jpg

is terrible and overrated.

However, Chicago "stuffed" pizza, which looks like this:

VCoW9IZ.jpg

Is excellent.

PwqQljM.gif

Nicoletti's here locally.. best around.

Mama Lucia isn't bad either.

Ledos is too sweet. I don't care for the sauce. 

~Bang

Ever had Mama Mia's in Waldorf? I haven't eaten there in years, but remember it as a kid.

www.mamamiaspizza.org

Truth be told, I think some of the love for our favs like this comes from nostalgia but I guess that's a topic for another thread.  

Absolutely.  A little hole in the wall called McLean Pizza holds a special place in my heart, but I seriously doubt it was nearly as good as I remember it being from my youth.   Anyone from NoVa been there recently?  Does it still exist?

I'm a fan of Church Street Pizza in Vienna VA. It's a little far from me, and much more expensive, so we usually just go with Dominos. :-/

(And yeah, pretty sure we've already had this thread at some point)

If there was ever a food worthy of a second thread, pizza qualifies. :)

I live in Chicago and there's a really famous New Haven style place down the street from me (Piece in Wicker Park if you're ever in town) that is amazing.  [They brew their own beer too, so yeah, amazing place :P]

I actually LOVE Ledo's.  I make it a point to go there every time I'm at my parents' place.  Granted, whoever made the point is correct that their secret formula is pretty much a ton of cheese and sweetened sauce.

Nicoletti's here locally.. best around.

Mama Lucia isn't bad either.

Ledos is too sweet. I don't care for the sauce. 

~Bang

Bang, Nicoletti's, really? I hope there's one in Calvert that's better than the one in Lexington Park.

Lombardi's in NY is the best I've had

coming in a CLOSE second...

Joe's Squared in B-More.  Clam/Bacon pizza *drools*

In thinking about it, why does DC suck for food? Baltimore has so many better options for dining. 

Forgot about Joe-Squared. Really good pizza as well. You're right though, Baltimore does have some really good food options.

Man, it's this pizza join by Capital Hill called "We The Pizza" they got this Honey Ham and Pineapple pizza that tastes off the hook.

Now, I know you said no national pizza chains, but you didn't say anything about frozen pizzas...

And I usually don't care for frozen pizza, I rather make the dough myself and make the pizza myself...

But it's this frozen pizza made by Culinary Circle (I have only seen it at Shoppers Food Warehouse), it is Chicken, Bacon, and ranch.... The pizza is wonderful. I don't know why, but it tastes very good.

pizza_flt_bacon_ranch.jpg

^That bomb stuff...

No, of all the crappy places there are, Waldorf is one i'v never spent much time in.

~Bang

And it is getting crappier by the day....

In thinking about it, why does DC suck for food? Baltimore has so many better options for dining. 

Man, that's a lie. Especially the last 5 years or so. It's some bomb spots in the city now, and I am not talking just about carry-outs lol

Archived