Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Things we grew up with that this generation does not use or know about

CrabR

Of course when you watched the games you just had to know what the down and distance was, how much time was left in the game and thirty second clock, what the score was, and where the line of scrimmage was and you had to spot the first down marker yourself. If you weren't near a TV you could listen on the radio. Otherwise you were just out of luck. 

I've noticed this watching classic games on NFL network or NBATV. On the old NBA games there are several possessions of scoring back and forth and its late in the game and I'm wondering what the hell the score is. No way to know until they decide to condescend to show you or mention the score. 

Same thing with NFL. It must have been rough

The absolute thrill you could get from a quick peek at a playboy, or the the like, when you know that it could be months or even years before you will get another peek at the holy grail of forbidden fruit...

the internet has destroyed the anticipation that can only come from scarcity.

Cap'n Kangaroo, Mr. Moose, Bunny Rabbit, and friends

Koogle - it seemed like a good idea but....

The stands at the drug store with TV tubes

Jiffy Pop popcorn - Watching the foil expand was almost the coolest thing ever. No, my childhood wasn't terribly exciting. :) 

Avocado/Lemon yellow appliances

Kukla Fran and Ollie

Drinking water from the tap, or *gasp* from the hose outside

Gibbles chips  :( 

Tom and Jerry with the racial stereotypes included

TV cameras with film canisters on top

SNL actually being funny

And last but not least.....(speaking of SNL) everything costing a nickel 

And last but not least.....(speaking of SNL) everything costing a nickel 

Youngun'.  I remember getting our allowance every week, and after watching Saturday morning cartoons, walking several miles through the woods to the local general store and spending it all on penny candy.  Candy bars cost 15 cents. 

A few toys from back in the day that might no kid would be interested in these days:

Slinky

Mr. Machine

Mr. & Mrs. Potato Head (the kind where you used a REAL potato and stuck the face pieces in the potato)

Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots - His block is knocked OFF!

A few toys from back in the day that might no kid would be interested in these days:

Slinky

Mr. Machine

Mr. & Mrs. Potato Head (the kind where you used a REAL potato and stuck the face pieces in the potato)

Those toys are back out on the market now, probably because we grew up with them and are now buying toys for our kids. In my house at this exact moment my 4 and 5 years old children have a Slinky, a Mr. Potato Head (the plastic one, but still), and the Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots game. I don't know what Mr. Machine is. 

from a 74 HS yearbook

196458_633312490030433_1045863786_n.jpg

The one woman in your club was pretty bad ass.  Not only is she sporting that rifle in her high school club.  Looks like she's got a bottle of hooch!

Darn permissive school you went to back in the day :)

You'd think after hundreds of years, they'd start making roads that went down hill both ways.

They did. It's called the two-party political system!  :D Off topic but it was a one-liner I couldn't resist. Back to the original topic...

Haven't read everything so Sorry if repeated.

The George Michael Sportline for up to the min (really 30 mins) sport scores (I still remember the number. 202-362-4444).

Or for that matter -"Calling" the time - 301-844-1234

or calling the weather (Cant remember that number).  

Watching scrambled channels for the 2 second boob shot

Ridding in the back of station wagons (One step further -When I was like 5 until I was 11 I would lay down in the back of my Dads 2 seat 280zx if he was taking me and my sister someplace. Considered ok. )

High Dives

Mad Magazine

Candy Cigarette (How did anyone ever think that was a good idea?)

The horror of taking out the VHS tape that said "Redskins super bowl" on it and finding out your mom recorded "Young and the restless" over it (Was that just me?).

Being somewhere and NOT having anyone be able to call you.

Slinky

Mr. Machine

When my son turned 7 I got him a vibrating football game. He LOVED it

At 9 I got him Rock'em Sock'em Robots...he enjoyed that..but for only like a week.  

Late night watching of GLOW on Friday or Saturday night (I don't remember which night my area picked it up).

I mean, c'mon, who doesn't like Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling?

Americana was fine.

Late night watching of GLOW on Friday or Saturday night (I don't remember which night my area picked it up).

I mean, c'mon, who doesn't like Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling?

Americana was fine.

I was always partial to Mt. Fiji

Haven't read everything so Sorry if repeated.

The George Michael Sportline for up to the min (really 30 mins) sport scores (I still remember the number. 202-362-4444).

Or for that matter -"Calling" the time - 301-844-1234

or calling the weather (Cant remember that number).  

Ridding in the back of station wagons (One step further -When I was like 5 until I was 11 I would lay down in the back of my Dads 2 seat 280zx if he was taking me and my sister someplace. Considered ok. )

Yeah dang I remember calling the time while waiting at the house if the school bus was late and calling the weather the night before to see if we could go to sleep with hopes of being out of school in the morning.

I have 4 brothers and 2 sisters so growing up we had a station wagon. We used to fight over who go to sit in the back seat because it faced the back of the car so you'd just stare at whoever was behind you. Craziness.

Also, how about trying to load pictures on AOL dial up and having one line load at a time so by 15 minutes maybe you finally made it down to see someone's nude rack. Geez the struggle...

The Price is Right with Bob Barker. Poor kids today have to deal with Drew Carey.

I grew up on that. I used to stay at my great grandma's house on 12th Street and she'd ONLY watch channel 9. It was, literally, the only station she'd watch (apart from switching over to channel 7 to watch Wheel and Jeopardy). She was fixated on CBS (hell, the only radio station she'd listen to in the house was WTOP). Every day I'd stay with her, I had to watch all those wretched talk shows and soap operas, but I'd always look forward to watching Price is Right.

She would always get so excited when someone won a big prize, It was the funniest thing.

Candy Cigarette (How did anyone ever think that was a good idea?)

You can still get them if you know where to look:

Candy cigarettes

Did anyone here ever have those chocolate cigars?

When I was in the first grade, one of my best friends' mom had a kid and to celebrate the birth of his baby brother, he handed out chocolate cigars. Mind you, this was in 1998. Frankly, I'm surprised he was able to get away with that as late as that.

Those suckers were good, though.

Archived