Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Things we grew up with that this generation does not use or know about

CrabR

The Price is Right with Bob Barker. Poor kids today have to deal with Drew Carey.

I grew up on that. I used to stay at my great grandma's house on 12th Street and she'd ONLY watch channel 9. It was, literally, the only station she'd watch (apart from switching over to channel 7 to watch Wheel and Jeopardy). She was fixated on CBS (hell, the only radio station she'd listen to in the house was WTOP). Every day I'd stay with her, I had to watch all those wretched talk shows and soap operas, but I'd always look forward to watching Price is Right.

She would always get so excited when someone won a big prize, It was the funniest thing.

Candy Cigarette (How did anyone ever think that was a good idea?)

You can still get them if you know where to look:

Candy cigarettes

Did anyone here ever have those chocolate cigars?

When I was in the first grade, one of my best friends' mom had a kid and to celebrate the birth of his baby brother, he handed out chocolate cigars. Mind you, this was in 1998. Frankly, I'm surprised he was able to get away with that as late as that.

Those suckers were good, though.

You can still get those too:

At Sees: http://www.sees.com/prod.cfm/new_baby_gifts/celebration_seegars'>Chocolate cigars

and here:

http://www.amazon.com/Novelty-Indulgence-Milk-Chocolate-Cigars/dp/B0009T8C0C

Metal toothpaste tubes.

My grandparents told me stories about WWII all the time, and one I'll always remember was the country's first real recycling program...you had to turn in your old tube in order to buy your new one.

And that little "key" thing that kept it rolled up tight, so you got all of it out.

Does anyone else remember having to use one of these?

b09525dc55ea1362a3a57a98ba837e11.image.2

Yes.

We had one of those.

Wasnt it for Intellivision?

It could be used for all kinds of video games at the time. I think we even had our cable box hooked up to it. It's funny looking back at that switch and thinking of all the ways we used to switch between the TV and video games. These switches, different switches, the A/V setting on the TV, running it through the VCR. Now, it's just a button on the remote.

Looking in the newspaper to see where the movie you want to see is playing and at what time

Mimeograph copies

Carbon copies

USA dominating the Olympics in swimming

No pros in the Olympics

No baseball in DC

Redskins home games blacked out in the DC area

EROL's

Betamax

Looking in the newspaper to see where the movie you want to see is playing and at what time

Mimeograph copies

Carbon copies

No pros in the Olympics

No baseball in DC

EROL's

Betamax

If you didn't get a paper, you could call the automated movie recordings with the time.

I don't remember any Redskin blackouts, but I started watching them in 76.  Must have been before that.

All the video store nostalgia just reminded me that we didn't even have a VCR for about half of my childhood. So, I'll see your EROLs and Blockbuster and raise you a "having to wait until a network channel decided to air a movie".

Now, we can pretty instantly watch whatever we want. Earlier in my life, that was not the case. It really is amazing when you think about it. I "played" Star Wars everyday by replaying the movies with friends or action figures.

Ice skating on the C&O Canal.  In the 60's we used to skate on the C&O canal. Played hockey there and I think a hockey sticks cost 2 dollarsThe park service would scape the ice at certain locations. we would build fires and stay for hours upon hours. It was really fun at night people would bring coleman lanterns. .I do not know when the canal last froze over enough for skating. Do they even allow it anymore on the canal on reflecting Pool ? I met my first wife ice skating on a frozen pond near Centerville. Both are gone now

The W-L caves on the potomac near Windy run. Tight squeeze but is was cool. I understand they blocked the entrance years ago

someone mentioned weather phone #   mine was WE6 1212  time was TI4-2525

no zip code on letters

no area codes for phones  all long distance was by operator

B&W TV

How could I forget lawn darts i hit the Neighbors  kid in the face. It was a accident but he come close to losing an eye.

All the video store nostalgia just reminded me that we didn't even have a VCR for about half of my childhood. So, I'll see your EROLs and Blockbuster and raise you a "having to wait until a network channel decided to air a movie".

Now, we can pretty instantly watch whatever we want. Earlier in my life, that was not the case. It really is amazing when you think about it. I "played" Star Wars everyday by replaying the movies with friends or action figures.

Speaking of VCR's, even I'm old enough to remember not that long ago, when it took like 6-8 months for a movie to come out on VHS. Now they come out so fast it's like they were barely even in the theater. You'd always get hyped whenever you walked into a video store and saw those "Coming Soon" posters.

Mimeograph copies

Carbon copies

No pros in the Olympics

No baseball in DC

EROL's

Betamax

If you didn't get a paper, you could call the automated movie recordings with the time.

I don't remember any Redskin blackouts, but I started watching them in 76.  Must have been before that.

Not sure when the blackouts were lifted for teams that sold out at home. But we used to go to Uline Arena to watch the games on closed circuit TV. This was the only place to go (that I can recall) to see the Skins home games. I forget how many it held (8-10,000?). But as I recall, it was always packed. We would take the DCT over there to watch the games. Fun times....

talesfromcrypt.jpg

That intro always creeped me the hell out. Plus I think this may be the show where I saw a naked woman for the first time (must've been like 5-6 years old)

HBO was awesome.

I must be old, I remember the pre-cable days when you just had ABC, NBC, CBS, and then some channels like channel 20, where you'd get things like this:

DDC20-3a_640.jpg

And no remote for the TV.

Archived