Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Things we grew up with that this generation does not use or know about

CrabR

Our living room TV had a remote, pretty much as long as I remember.  But it was an advanced model, by Magnavox (Dad was an engineer for Magnavox), and had one of the very first remote controls. 

The TV still had the mechanical, rotary, tuners (the most folks probably don't remember.)  The remote was mechanical.  Had two buttons:  Power and channel.  Pushing the button compressed a bladder, and then fired compressed air through an untrasonic whistle.  The TV would detect the whistle, and a motor in the TV would rotate the tuning knob to the next channel. 

High tech, huh? 

The old metal lunch boxes.  By the time you had lunch the milk was warm and  the PB&J sandwich was liquefying. 

I had the Evel Knievel :)

Reminds me of the days of my child youth when we had the hard plastic lunchboxes, and you had the turkey/ham and mustard sandwich and cookies, and when lunch time rolled around, and it was time to eat, it all tasted like you were eating the lunchbox instead.

talesfromcrypt.jpg

That intro always creeped me the hell out. Plus I think this may be the show where I saw a naked woman for the first time (must've been like 5-6 years old)

HBO was awesome.

I must be old, I remember the pre-cable days when you just had ABC, NBC, CBS, and then some channels like channel 20, where you'd get things like this:

DDC20-3a_640.jpg

And no remote for the TV.

You?  Or maybe you weren't the youngest.

Our living room TV had a remote, pretty much as long as I remember.  But it was an advanced model, by Magnavox (Dad was an engineer for Magnavox), and had one of the very first remote controls. 

The TV still had the mechanical, rotary, tuners (the most folks probably don't remember.)  The remote was mechanical.  Had two buttons:  Power and channel.  Pushing the button compressed a bladder, and then fired compressed air through an untrasonic whistle.  The TV would detect the whistle, and a motor in the TV would rotate the tuning knob to the next channel. 

High tech, huh?

KaChunk noise......ya didn't need many buttons for three channels

<embed src='http://www.tv-signoffs.com/flvplayer.swf' height='325' width='400' allowscriptaccess='always' allowfullscreen='true' flashvars='file=http://www.tv-signoffs.com/video/signoffs/WCBS-signoff-1964-REC.flv&plugins=viral-1d'/>

WDCA 20  What was that guys name  Capt 20?

the afternoon shows when i was a kid were

he is after me in my time it was capt tug with his parot sitting on his sholder I think teh name was Polly

pic Temple w/piccolo the pony, a birthday boy got to sit on piccolo and take his pistol and shoot teh rattlesnake as he poked his head out of a wall

ranger hal and oswald the rabbitt

I really want to go on Pick temple and ride Piccolo and shot that rattlesnake

he is after me in my time it was capt tug with his parot sitting on his sholder I think teh name was Polly

pic Temple w/piccolo the pony, a birthday boy got to sit on piccolo and take his pistol and shoot teh rattlesnake as he poked his head out of a wall

Ah, yes, Captain Tug! With Commander Salamander, Coast Guard.

I was thinking the other day, while driving: Kids today don't have to worry about getting crappy gas mileage when the car air conditioner is running. I still remember not using the AC in the car because the gas mileage would be so bad!

Being able to prank call someone without them knowing who it was

Actually having to get up to change the channel on the tv & knowing the difference between UHF & VHF stations

Getting the latest album on vinyl

Playing dodgeball in school

Playing any Little League sport that actually had a winner & a loser

Pay phones being the only way you could check in with Mom

Gas under $1 per gallon

Jerry Lewis telethons

Hating the Russians

Carol Burnett

Johnny Carson

Captain Caveman

Redskins winning Super Bowls

Ordering something COD.

If it was mail order in a magazine or on T.V. it came from Pueblo, CO.

Bugs took a wrong turn at Albuquerque.

Looking for a car in Auto Trader Mag from 7-11.

Having to pump the gas to start a car.

Gas station attendants.

It was no big deal to play with toy guns.

You could kiss a girl on the cheek and give her "kooties" and not get labeled a sex offender.

• 5 weeks later...

That reminds me of Ordering Guns by mail

I bought my first gun in 1962 for 26.95. it was a mauser 98k a German WW2 surplus. They used to have ads on the

inside cover of outdoor magazines. It was from Interarms located in Alexandria. I was to young to buy it in person but I lied and got a money order and bought it by mail. I did not tell my parents until after I mailed it My father did not care my mother though I was wasting my money I had saved from my paper route

also back then they had stores that actually sold military surplus. Our boy scout troop would buy tenet shelter halves,canteens,belts,entrenching tools, knives,helmets  etc. I remember my canteens saying made in Aug 1943 the other was in 1944.

Do you remember Granpa's Place?  I think Captain Tug and Granpa were the same guy.

Also, there was a show that had 3 girls on it, and they ran a contest to see who resembled the youngest girl with red hair and freckles.  The prize was a St. Bernard puppy.  I was a finalist and was on TV, but my hair was dark (who knew the girl had red hair?! on B&W TV).  I didn't win, but I remember my parents getting a call to ask if they would take the puppy if I won. (They said yes)  There were 3 of us I think, and we won a bracelet with Ginny dolls heads (it was silver colored and I may still have it.  If so, I'll give it to my granddaughter.)

I liked Pick Temple show too.  I also went pony riding at the pony ring in Bailey's Crossroads back when it was a real crossroads. 

Conjunction junction...what's your function...

My favorite was about the pronouns.  Rufus Xavier Sasparilla.  That song moves so fast.  Because saying all those nouns over and over can really wear you down.

I really liked the ones about verbs, adjectives and adverbs. 

SchoolHouse Rock was the ****. I need to buy the DVDs. 

Putting the video game on channel three or four

Recording Shows on VCR

Having to get up and turn the TV and if the knob was gone you had to use a fork

Rolling down the window with your hand

Coming home when the street lights came on

Sunday Dinners with the whole family

George Michael Sports machine.

Aw man when the street lights came on it was time for flashlight tag or red light green light in my neighborhood.

Archived