Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Good teams who were good at the wrong time....

CrypticVillain

See, I don't consider teams like the 90s Bills, 90s Braves, 70s Vikings, etc. to be good at the right time. I consider those teams incapable of finishing what they started. It's not like the Bills were overshadowed by a dominant force or dynastic team. They just simply came up short 4 separate times after cruising through the AFC. Same with the Braves...maybe during some of those seasons they ran into a buzz saw, but if you make the playoffs every year for over a decade, you weren't good at the wrong time, you just shrunk in the big games.

The compelling teams to me are the ones that were very, very good and never got their shot because someone in their division or conference was a generational team. Teams overshadowed by the 70s Steelers, 80s 49ers, 90s Bulls, 2000s Pats are great contributions!

The last 3 or 4 years (not counting last year, when they finally broke through). New York, Boston, and Tampa Bay have all made them look worse than they were.

So the O's were the Beasts of the AL East, except for the Yankees. And the Red Sox. But otherwise, Beasts of the East!!! Oh yeah, I forgot about the Rays. But hey, Beasts of the East other than the Yanks, Sox, and Rays. Woo hoo!

So the O's were the Beasts of the AL East, except for the Yankees. And the Red Sox. But otherwise, Beasts of the East!!! Oh yeah, I forgot about the Rays. But hey, Beasts of the East other than the Yanks, Sox, and Rays. Woo hoo!

Actually, I believe the Blue Jays were a team that would have won any other division a few times over the past decade. They, not the O's, are the team that was most screwed by the unbalanced schedule and runaway payrolls in the AL East during the 2000s.

:ols:

But seriously, if they were in the AL Central they would have been in the playoffs almost every year.

That sounds like my cousin everytime we go to an O's - Nats game together.

---------- Post added April-18th-2013 at 02:12 PM ----------

:ols:

But seriously, if they were in the AL Central they would have been in the playoffs almost every year.

that I don't disagree with. I normally don't get into baseball until a few weeks after hockey season, but they've been stronger than advertised.

Kind of like how the Seahwaks got over on the NFL throughout most of the 2000's by playing in the NFC West. And then the 7-9 team? lol

Lefty Driesell's early-mid 70s team at the University of Maryland comes to mind. The one year, they were loaded, with Lenny Lemore, Tom McMillan, John Lucas, etc. They were top 5 in the country pretty much all season. But back then, you had to win the ACC tournament to play in the 32 team NCAA tournament - there were no at large bids. NC State with David Thompson and Tom Burleson beat the Terps in the ACC tournament and went on to win the National Championship while Maryland went home.

I couldn't remember the details. Thanks.

Another team that the Gibbs Skins foiled a couple of times were the Eagles teams coached by Buddy Ryan. They had Randall Cunningham and an insane amount of talent on defense including Reggie White and Jerome Brown. I still can't believe they never played for a Super Bowl. I think it's most due to Ryan being a poor head coach. I doubt he even knew the names of the players on offense.

The Gibbs era team was also responsible for the '85 Bears being one hit wonders.

The Matt Ryan era falcons. Lost in the playoffs to each team that went to the Super Bowl or won Super Bowl; Cardinals, Packers, Giants, 49ers.

I'm not sure I would group the Matt Ryan Falcons with some of the other teams that were mentioned. It's not as if they lost to truly great teams.

The Cardinals were one of the weakest teams to play in a Super Bowl.

I'll admit the Packers were better than their 10-6 record (they got healthy at the end of the season).

And no one outside of New York will think of the 9-7 Giants as a team for the ages. (Eli went on another Rainman-esque run).

Pretty much any decent NBA team in the 1990's not named the Chicago Bulls.

And how can a Washington area site not mention the 1994 Montreal Expos? They where the best team in baseball when the players strike started with a .649 win % Starting pitchers where a young Pedro Martinez jsut coming into his own, Ken Hill their ace who flammed out after a couple of great years in the show, and Jeff Fassero with Mel Rojas & John Wettland doing the cleanup work.

Oh and that lineup. An outfield of Larry Walker, Marquis Grissom & Moises Alou with Cliff Floyd at first and Darren Hatcher behnnd the plate with Rondell White coming of the bench. Some of those names are guys who most would remember as only having average MLB careers, but when you look back, most where on pace to have career years with the Expos that year, pretty much playing at their peek all at the same time.

For football, the early 1990's Buffalo Bills. They lost a heatbreaker of a game because the Giants slowed the pace, but the next 3 they where outgunned when everyone thought they where one of the most high powered offense's in the league. If they played any team other than NFC East opponents (or the SF 49ers) they probably would have won those Super Bowls easily.

For Hockey, that Buffalo Sabres team that lost on Brett Hull's foot in the crease goal for the Dallas Stars. That's not really bad timing, that's just getting shafted by the ref's but I had to throw a hockey one in for balance, plus I think I loose my citizenship if I don't mention hockey at least 12 times a year.

For football, the early 1990's Buffalo Bills. They lost a heatbreaker of a game because the Giants slowed the pace, but the next 3 they where outgunned when everyone thought they where one of the most high powered offense's in the league. If they played any team other than NFC East opponents (or the SF 49ers) they probably would have won those Super Bowls easily.

Meh, they were a good team, but not a great team. They benefited from the overall weakness of the AFC at that time. The 49ers, Redskins, Giants, Eagles, and Dallas and eventually the Bears all were better during that era, but all had to play each other in the NFC.

Meh, they were a good team, but not a great team. They benefited from the overall weakness of the AFC at that time. The 49ers, Redskins, Giants, Eagles, and Dallas and eventually the Bears all were better during that era, but all had to play each other in the NFC.

Yea...the argument with the Bills seems to be "If only the five good teams in the NFC did not exist......" They were about the fifth or sixth best team in football during that era. Same reason I don't feel bad for the Falcons. They aren't good enough.

The Eagles weren't good enough, but their defense was. If that defense was on any other team...holy cow.

How can you not discuss the Redskins from 1982 to 1991? Ask anyone outside the Washington area and they will tell you the team of the 80's were the 49ers. Joe Montana and gang. 4 Super Bowl wins for them in the seasons from 1981 - 1989. The Redskins got to 3 in those years and of course got there again in 1991 - After the 80's.

4 Super Bowls, going 3 -1 in a ten year period should have made us the team of a decade, but we have to take a back seat to the the 49ers.

How can you not discuss the Redskins from 1982 to 1991? Ask anyone outside the Washington area and they will tell you the team of the 80's were the 49ers. Joe Montana and gang. 4 Super Bowl wins for them in the seasons from 1981 - 1989. The Redskins got to 3 in those years and of course got there again in 1991 - After the 80's.

4 Super Bowls, going 3 -1 in a ten year period should have made us the team of a decade, but we have to take a back seat to the the 49ers.

Yea...that's a tragedy.

I know a team you guys are forgetting about that should have maybe won 1 SB outside of Houston, but could never get passed the AFC Division Game and Championship game. That would be the San Diego Chargers of the late 70s and part of the early 80s. That offense was stacked, stacked, and stacked. I think Fouts, Charlie Joiner, and Kellen Winslow were HoF'er out of that bunch. But then they could never get past the 2nd round because of their defense. Look at the points and teams they had. You would think they would have won a SB at least with Fouts as the QB.

Also what about the Cavs of the late 80s - early 90s? We all know who ruled the East and NBA back then, but the Cavs were actually right there. It was that #23 would always be in their way, along with the Pistons.

Archived