Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Good teams who were good at the wrong time....

CrypticVillain

I mean the title is pretty much self explanatory. Let's discuss teams who were good at the wrong time.

The first that comes to my mind is the 1991 Detroit Lions. I mean we talk all the time about how great Barry Sanders is and how he is arguably the best running back of all-time. And 1991 was probably the best team that he played on in the NFL.

Well unfortunately for him...

tumblr_m0neq3iewr1rpanl1o1_500.0_standard_352.0.jpg

And I just feel so bad for him and that rest of the Lions. I mean they were the number two seed, and the two times that they played the Redskins they were outscored 86-10. :doh:

Of course the other classic too good at the wrong time team were the 1990-93 Buffalo Bills. Now granted they should have won that first Super Bowl in 1990, but those other three teams ran into two teams that were on fire.

What other teams can you think of that peaked at the wrong time?

The Ewing-era Knicks were probably good enough to be a championship team during Jordan's dynasty. Then again, they had a couple shots but couldn't get past the Rockets/Magic.

I'll be a homer and say that the 1986 Redskins would have won the Super Bowl if the Giants didn't exist. Tough to complain since they won 3 around that time period though.

The all-time answer to this might be the Oilers of the late 70s. They were probably the second best team in the NFL....and couldn't win their own division, because the Steelers were there.

Here is a summary from an Oilers' fan site.

1978: Spurred by RB Earl Campbell who wins both the Offensive Rookie of the Year, and Offensive Player of the Year rushes for 1,450 yards, the Oilers make the playoffs with a 10-6 record, qualifying in the newly created 5th Wild Card spot. In the Wild Card Game the Oilers would travel to Miami where they stunned the Dolphins 17-9 to advance to the Divisional Playoffs. After beating the Dolphins the Oilers traveled to New England where they faced the Patriots before 61,297 chilly fans. However, the cold weather would not bother the Oilers 31-14 to earn a trip to Pittsburgh with a trip to the Super Bowl on the line. However, the Oilers run would end in disappointment as they are blown out by the Steelers 34-5. Following the loss the Oilers are greeted by 50,000 loyal fans at the Astrodome holding signs saying "Love Ya Blue."

1979: Earl Campbell continues to establish himself as the best Ruinning Backs in the league winning the Offensive Player of the year again while claming the NFL MVP, by rushing for an NFL best 1,697 yards, while scoring 19 Touchdowns. The Oilers would go on to finish with an 11-5 record, qualifying for the playoffs as a Wild Card again. In the first playoff game at the Astrodome the Oilers beat the Denver Broncos 13-7, but lose several key players including RB Earl Campbell, and Quarterback Dan Pastorini to injuries. Playing without Campbell and Pastorini in the Divisional Playoffs the Oilers backup would step it up as they beat the Chargers in San Diego 17-13, as Vernon Perry sets a playoff record by intercepting four passes. The Oilers would move to the AFC Championship game in Pittsburgh for a rematch with the Steelers. The Oilers appeared to have the game tied in the 3rd Quarter but Officials said Mike Renfro was out of bounds when replays clearly showed he got both feet in. The call would be a back breaker as the Oilers fell 27-13. Following the loss the Oilers would return home where 70,000 fans showed up early in the morning to greet them in another "Love Ya Blue" rally.

The Chris Webber era Kings were the first one that came to my mind.

Also, the Manning Colts because even though they did win one SB I have to think he might have at least 2 more if not for the Patriots. Then again, Peyton may just have choked to another team.

My personal favorite: The Pete Carroll Seahawks. Who happened to become a top team right as the RG3 era took over the NFL and the Seahawks were never able to get over the hump.

The Ewing-era Knicks were probably good enough to be a championship team during Jordan's dynasty. Then again, they had a couple shots but couldn't get past the Rockets/Magic.

:ols: It's funny because I had a long paragraph about the Knicks in the 90's, but deleted it because I felt I was saying too much :ols:

But Yeah, the Knicks and Jazz definitely fall into that category.

Philadelphia Flyers in the late 80s. Edmonton, the Islanders, Boston and Montreal had some pretty good teams that would usually beat them.

The Rams in the 80s had the unfortunate luck of the Niners in their division, the Redskins, Giants and Bears usually had better teams.

The stacked Oakland A's of the late 80s should have won multiple WS, but only won the earthquake series. They were chokers.

The 80s Denver Nuggets and the 90s Phoenix Suns had some loaded teams talent wise, but could never win the big one.

The Knicks teams in the 90's were the first team that came to mind for me as well.

Florida State Football in the late 80's and early 90's. They couldn't get by those Miami teams... they didn't have a kicker. And by the time they got Janikowski, they were folding Miami up and didn't need him. Those were some of the most fun games to watch.

Some of the Cleveland Indians teams in the late 90's were pretty good but just couldn't get over the hump.

Obviously the Red Sox teams who couldn't get by the Yankees in the early 2000's.

Pretty much every Tom Osborne Nebraska football team until they realed off three straight Championships in the mid - 90s.

Oregon in 2010-2011 when they had to play Auburn. That was a team that could've ended the SEC streak with ease.

The first thing that comes to mind for me was my Atlanta Braves success from 1991-2005, the won their division a record 14 times in a row (would probably have been 15 if not for the strike year in 1994). They only won 1 World Series out of five appearances. In 1991, they finished 3rd overall in standings, but the Twins were just to much for them. In 1992, they ran into a red hot Blue Jays team that would go on to win the next two World Series (92-93) and in 1993, they ran into a red hot Phillies team that would beat them to advance to lose to those Blue Jays.

Finally got their win in 1995 against the Indians. But then dropped two in a row to the dominant Yankees in 96 and 99. Out of all of it, the Yankees stood in their way the most, they were irrelevant until 1996, then went on their streak of dominance winning in 96, 98, 99, 00 and making the WS and losing in 01 and 03.

After the 99 loss to the Yankees, one can argue that the Braves were on the decline, regardless of still winning their division. But I think if the Yankees didn't become dominant in 96, the Braves take two more WSC wins. Same with the Blue Jays in 92/93, they don't get hot, Braves get one more WSC, totaling 4 for the franchise, not 1.

Yeah, I'll echo everyone else and say the Bills of the early 1990s. They fielded great teams and should've won that first Super Bowl against the Giants. But, as we know, they ran up against one of the finest teams of the Super Bowl era ('91 Redskins) and the Cowboys dynasty. It just wasn't meant to be.

I thought of the Knicks right away myself. Although they did blow it in 1994 vs Houston, and choked in 1995 vs Indiana. Still remember both of those game 7 losses.

I have a funny feeling the Oklahoma City Thunder are going to be in this category in another couple of years.......

The late 80's/early 90's Portland Trailblazers. They were continually beaten by the Lakers early and then by both the Pistons and then the Bulls later. Loaded with all kinds of talent but heck, Magic and Jordan ruined many teams plans for Titles. That Blazers team has awesome guard play in Terry Porter and The Glide, really solid big men in guys like Sabonis and Cliff Robinson and even journeymen like Buck Williams. They just had incredibly bad timing.

The first thing that comes to mind for me was my Atlanta Braves success from 1991-2005, the won their division a record 14 times in a row (would probably have been 15 if not for the strike year in 1994). They only won 1 World Series out of five appearances. In 1991, they finished 3rd overall in standings, but the Twins were just to much for them.

That's a GREAT one. Wow, I totally forgot about them because I hate them now, lol.

Another team that the Gibbs Skins foiled a couple of times were the Eagles teams coached by Buddy Ryan. They had Randall Cunningham and an insane amount of talent on defense including Reggie White and Jerome Brown. I still can't believe they never played for a Super Bowl. I think it's most due to Ryan being a poor head coach. I doubt he even knew the names of the players on offense.

Another team that the Gibbs Skins foiled a couple of times were the Eagles teams coached by Buddy Ryan. They had Randall Cunningham and an insane amount of talent on defense including Reggie White and Jerome Brown. I still can't believe they never played for a Super Bowl. I think it's most due to Ryan being a poor head coach. I doubt he even knew the names of the players on offense.

Yeah anytime people talk anout the era when defense actually meant something, particularly the 80's, they never fail to mention those Eagles teams.

College Basketball - this is hard because there are so many good teams and rounds in the NCAA tourney, but I think of the Michigan Wolverines back in 92-93, the Fab Five. Four McDonalds all-Americans out of the five, best recruiting class ever at that point. They lose in back to back championship games to Duke then Carolina. Most say they were the greatest class ever recruited in college basketball. All that talent, no championships.

Lefty Driesell's early-mid 70s team at the University of Maryland comes to mind. The one year, they were loaded, with Lenny Lemore, Tom McMillan, John Lucas, etc. They were top 5 in the country pretty much all season. But back then, you had to win the ACC tournament to play in the 32 team NCAA tournament - there were no at large bids. NC State with David Thompson and Tom Burleson beat the Terps in the ACC tournament and went on to win the National Championship while Maryland went home.

That's true. From what I understand, people were already dubbing them the Team of the 90s before the 90s even started.

I cannot believe Randall Cunningham went his entire career without even going to a Super Bowl. He deserved better.

The 1993 San Francisco Giants. Barry Bonds wins another MVP after he joins a team that already has all stars Will Clark, Matt Williams, Robbie Thompson and a strong pitching staff. They won 103 games

- and didn't even make the playoffs because the Braves were in their division and their ungodly starting rotation was at its peak and they won 104 and there was no wildcard.

103 wins and go home :ols:

Archived