Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Someone else did, and neither of the names I posted that had rings are fierce either.

Long winded pointless post...

Lol wow...someone must be bored and is taking my posts too seriously...should follow your own advice ;)

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Ever?

Okay, fine ill say it, I don't want a black man in a combat air uniform dancing with the funky 4 on Sunday.  

That's not how you show those men the respect they deserve. 

That wasn't a random twitter poster, that was a official Black Lives Matters chapter.  That's a warning, we done pissed off one racial group, the answer shouldn't be to go piss off another one.  

It's also a bad name for a football team, anything with tail in it is, imo.

WELL SAID! People have to think about that! 

I Mentioned several pages back regarding Redtails.

Totally respect the history of the Tuskegee Airmen. However to have a “Redtail” in the common vernacular  means you have a chapped ass or just got your butt kicked. The thoughts of being referenced as the Washington “Redasses” is not the look I want for my football team...

31 minutes ago, redrobert said:

Totally respect the history of the Tuskegee Airmen. However to have a “Redtail” in the common vernacular  means you have a chapped ass or just got your butt kicked. The thoughts of being referenced as the Washington “Redasses” is not the look I want for my football team...

Redtails-baboon backside=comparing blacks to monkeys. 

Sure that's not what redtails stands for but we just saw how the term redskins was changed to mean things it has not meant. Too easy a connection coming from a white owner. 

Not to mention that the redtails are associated with alabama. 

You have to drop all NA theme and imagery entirely and can't include people at all. 

I don't like Redwolves but the fan art of the Wolf and Capitol building was pretty badass. 

The futuristic robot genre would be worth looking into, as androids don't have feelings yet and are under represented in today's society. Easy marketing and sponsors for the next 20 years as automation takes over and a good excuse to build a futuristic stadium. Something hive mind related shows promise as well. Im not sure if the players will want these things though. 

You cant go with anything war related because many view the US as warmongering already. 

Let's just go with a bland verb. 

7 minutes ago, redrobert said:

This is exactly how I feel. I hope we go with something else. 

I've given up trying to brainstorm ideas for a name that relates to the DC area. Everything seemingly can be attacked by SJW's for one  reason or another. 

At this point, I think I would prefer something completely unrelated to DC and it's history

My current favorites are:

Capitol City Crocodiles 

Washington Rhinos

One of the things I’ve realized and I was probably naive to not realize it sooner is that most of us care more about this team than the players even the historic ones. 

I listened to Darrell Green and Jansen on 106.7 and they essentially have said they don’t care the name means nothing to them. 

That’s horrible IMO and has driven me further into the I won’t root for the new team (cause it is a new team no matter what people say the history died the other day when they said they are retiring the name) and may not even root for a team period at this point. 

If the players who made this team famous don’t care then it truly means nothing anyway so I don’t think I can care about it or them either. 

Red tails seems like it will once again over complicates things with potential entanglements.  Pick a animal, doesn’t even have to be a real one, and move on.  We need to be done with these sorts of discussions surrounding the name forever.  

Slap a dragon on the helmet for all I care, just make it look cool, and let’s try to win some damn games.  

2 minutes ago, Hdf561 said:

One of the things I’ve realized and I was probably naive to not realize it sooner is that most of us care more about this team than the players even the historic ones. 

I listened to Darrell Green and Jansen on 106.7 and they essentially have said they don’t care the name means nothing to them. 

That’s horrible IMO and has driven me further into the I won’t root for the new team (cause it is a new team no matter what people say the history died the other day when they said they are retiring the name) and may not even root for a team period at this point. 

If the players who made this team famous don’t care then it truly means nothing anyway so I don’t think I can care about it or them either. 

It's about perspective 

And I would hold more weight of an opinion of someone who's job it was to go out and sacrifice their body (to provide the memories you hold dear), over the perspective of the average fan, which is an incredibly narrow tunnel.

The history us not gone. The name is gone. The imagery is gone. That's a fact. How you choose to internalize that fact, is entirely up to you.

3 minutes ago, Hdf561 said:

I think, with the introduction of free agency in 1993 (iirc), you'll find many players today have a far weaker loyalty or connection to a team or it's name. 

And looking at it another way, it's really just a job to most if not all of them. I know plenty of people who don't like their employers. They like the paycheck. 

I can't really fault a player for not having a strong emotional connection to "redskins" or the logo. Obviously, if they did, it makes it easier for a fan to root for them. 

I feel like the only way guys today have that type of loyalty is if they grew up as a fan of the team for which they play. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

The history us not gone. The name is gone. The imagery is gone. That's a fact. How you choose to internalize that fact, is entirely up to you.

It’s amusing to watch people argue that their favorite little bits of history are destroyed by this innocuous change that literally affects nothing but the future and the respond to that argument by saying fine then **** the **** my past feelings lol

its like saying you can’t fire me if I quit

Just now, KWilliamsAWinfield said:

I honestly do not get it, you all stick with the team through the high and lows and now most of you are leaving because of a name change?

Right. I bleed burgundy and gold but only if that’s also associated with this name otherwise **** that **** 

1 minute ago, Chachie said:

Interesting point brought up the other day on WTEM 980: Anyone ever stop to think about how many native americans were murdered by "Cowboys?"

Well there's already a push to get rid of the Texas Rangers, so yeah, let's include the Cowpukes in that as well.  

Does the name have to stay Washington (name)?

Could it be the District (name), or the Capitol Hill (name)?

a couple ideas...

Washington Revolution (they could merchandise Tri-cornered hats...)

Washington Wigs ( everyone could where those white wigs)

District Dash (Dash implies speed, D is short for defense... how many hopes could they "Dash" on their way to the Superbowl?)

8 minutes ago, Chachie said:

Interesting point brought up the other day on WTEM 980: Anyone ever stop to think about how many native americans were murdered by "Cowboys?"

Buffalo Bill Cody was also not exactly a friend to Native Americans.

1 minute ago, KWilliamsAWinfield said:

I honestly do not get it, you all stick with the team through the high and lows and now most of you are leaving because of a name change?

I get you but I tend to err on the side of compassion on these matters.

While I am looking forward to the name change I understand that some fans are grieving hard right now and they are feeling more than thinking.

I Can’t really hold anything against them at this point. People react to loss differently.

Proclamations made in the heat and passion of the july sun may well fade into nothing more than a foreign memory by the time the turf turns brown in the cold of winter.

It takes time to heal.

Archived