Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

11 minutes ago, duffy said:

Baltimore lost the Colts imagery and name to Indianapolis. 

Or do you think the aftermath of the Colts leaving Baltimore is what caused Cleveland to be able to retain the Browns name.

to your first statement, that kinda proves my point, the ravens history doesn't really go back to when they were the colts, at least I don't think anybody really thinks it does.

the second comment, I dont know maybe that is why they forced Baltimore to leave the browns in Cleveland. 

I think you can make several logical arguments about how we'll still have our memories and that it's ok to move on bit I don't see how it wont be the end of one era and the beginning of a new one with a team that has no history at all.

6 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Ok, you don't want to be a mascot, fine. Lets correct this then. Minorities are not mascots--because there are a ****-ton of white people mascots that no one gives a **** about.

I've seen plenty of white people (Irish and Catholic alike) that don't like the Celtics mascot, or Notre Dame and their "Fighting Irish" and "Touchdown Jesus" nonsense.

The criticism is out there, and it has been out there. What makes you think no one cares? 

1 minute ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I've seen plenty of white people (Irish and Catholic alike) that don't like the Celtics mascot, or Notre Dame and their "Fighting Irish" and "Touchdown Jesus" nonsense.

The criticism is out there, and it has been out there. What makes you think no one cares? 

It doesn't seem to have the same coverage, maybe because I typically tune out people who complain a lot. Personally, I'm Irish, Danish, Norwegian, and German, and Catholic. I find nothing wrong with Saints, Celtics, Fighting Irish, Vikings, Padres, or what ever else. 

16 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Ok, you don't want to be a mascot, fine. Lets correct this then. Minorities are not mascots--because there are a ****-ton of white people mascots that no one gives a **** about.

Besides the The Tuskegee Airmen love the name...yeah...Imma stop there and say lets not go with Redtails.

No **** man.  What about Vikings?!  They have a blonde haired white dude on their logo!  Raiders?  Patriots?  What a joke.

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

It doesn't seem to have the same coverage, maybe because I typically tune out people who complain a lot. Personally, I'm Irish, Danish, Norwegian, and German, and Catholic. I find nothing wrong with Saints, Celtics, Fighting Irish, Vikings, Padres, or what ever else. 

No wonder you're so confrontational.  Sheesh.

For the people who are worried that other teams make fun of our name...

Whatever name we choose, it will happen. There could be a movie released that gives a fan base years of fun (brokeback mountain) there could be pictures of fans doing stupid stuff (cowboys fans eating ass). 

Whatever happens. People will find ways to make fun of you. That's the competitive spirit and trash talk between teams. 

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

"what?" 

Lol I'm not sure what is confusing. 

He was talking about how the commissioner stipulated that the Browns organization could move to Baltimore if they changed their name. I was just mentioning that this didn't happen when the Colts left for Indianapolis. That's all. 

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

to your first statement, that kinda proves my point, the ravens history doesn't really go back to when they were the colts, at least I don't think anybody really thinks it does.

the second comment, I dont know maybe that is why they forced Baltimore to leave the browns in Cleveland. 

I think you can make several logical arguments about how we'll still have our memories and that it's ok to move on bit I don't see how it wont be the end of one era and the beginning of a new one with a team that has no history at all.

I lived in Baltimore for a while and most of the Ravens fans I knew consider the Baltimore Colts part of the team's history even though it was a different organization from the current Ravens. It's kind of strange how it works out. They still love them some Johnny Unitas up there. I didn't know anybody that looked back at the "pre-Baltimore-move Cleveland organization" as part of its history. But I guess technically it is.

When Irsay moved the Colts to Indy, it pissed off so many people. I could see that being a factor in why the Browns were able to keep their name in Cleveland. 

Regardless of what happens with the Redskins name, I'm always going to think back to the more recent and historical Redskins teams as part of this organization. Yeah it's going to be weird for a bit. And I guess we probably will refer to it as the Redskins era. But I'm definitely not going to look at this name change as the beginning of a new team's history. No one should. 

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

It doesn't seem to have the same coverage, maybe because I typically tune out people who complain a lot. Personally, I'm Irish, Danish, Norwegian, and German, and Catholic.

So on a typical day you drink to excess early, have a pastry, get depressed, invade your neighbor, then feel guilty about it.

(Buy my book  - The Idiot's Guide to Stereotypes - now available on Amazon.)

4 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

16 years of Catholic education.

i had a little over one year----was thrown out (for real) of the second year (age 12) for arguing about the ark---was"cuffed" about the ears even by (for real) sister gretchen (joe bugel would have liked her on the line but getting a helmet on over that pumpkin would have been a chore--maybe butz had an extra)

others may be wondering wtf this has to do with the topic :P

since i haven't made any suggestions on this stuff so far, and for those who want a name and imagery to inspire fear/dread, i give you the washington nuns

first, obviously it's immune to any kind of social criticism :806:

B--a black and white color scheme would be killer and go with the dread/death/doom/fear theme we'd be crafting

part 3---think of the endless material available from such a move in every way on every level...wow...marketing genius and controversy-free

3 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

For the people who are worried that other teams make fun of our name...

Whatever name we choose, it will happen. There could be a movie released that gives a fan base years of fun (brokeback mountain) there could be pictures of fans doing stupid stuff (cowboys fans eating ass). 

Whatever happens. People will find ways to make fun of you. That's the competitive spirit and trash talk between teams. 

true, and exactly why you don't need to make it easier for them.

1 minute ago, Jumbo said:

was"cuffed" about the ears even by (for real) sister gretchen

Sister Catherine Anne in 4th grade. I can still hear the nylons on her massive legs rubbing on together as she walked down the halls fffffth...ffffffth...fffffffth....

Nightmares.

(Overall, though, I liked the Catholic education)

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

They likely dont get the same coverage because they aren't all equally egregious in nature (and it would be a foolish attempt by anyone, not necessarily you, to claim otherwise). Otherwise known as a false equivalency.

6 minutes ago, duffy said:

Lol I'm not sure what is confusing. 

He was talking about how the commissioner stipulated that the Browns organization could move to Baltimore if they changed their name. I was just mentioning that this didn't happen when the Colts left for Indianapolis. That's all. 

Except you didn't really say that, your post bordered on nonsense, and even it didn't, that doesn't really have anything to do with the point you were responding to.

6 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

i had a little over one year----was thrown out (for real) of the second year (age 12) for arguing about the ark---was"cuffed" about the ears even by (for real) sister gretchen (joe bugel would have liked her on the line but getting a helmet on over that pumpkin would have been a chore--maybe butz had an extra)

others may be wondering wtf this has to do with the topic :P

since i haven't made any suggestions on this stuff so far, and for those who want a name and imagery to inspire fear/dread, i give you the washington nuns

first, obviously it's immune to any kind of social criticism :806:

B--a black and white color scheme would be killer and go with the dread/death/doom/fear theme we'd be crafting

part 3---think of the endless material available from such a move in every way on every level...wow...marketing genius and controversy-free

We could also have a group of singing nuns doing our new fight song, like Sister Act

1 minute ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Even if they pick a name Red Wolves, Warriors, whatever...... would we be ok with them taking their time on a logo and go without one for 2020? Especially since we have no idea if they can really pull off a season.

No rush, really.  I hope they take their time and come up with a good logo.

Been thinking a lot about it recently.  I am waiting to see what the new name will be before making any decisions, but as each day goes by, it's making it easier to accept the new name and get going with it (as long as it's not something really dumb).  Definitely on board with the Warriors and Red Wolves, either or, make it happen so I can order some gear.  

I still don't like the changing of the name, but understand that it's out of our control, and that times have changed.  Ten years ago, I was one of those fans that was 100% convinced that people that wanted the name changed was a generation of candy asses.  I even posted in this thread once (years back) that it was complete BS and the pussification of America is ruining everything.  Then I think it was @Mr. Sinister that responded with a different point of view, that made me realize, it's not about me.

I'm a middle aged white guy (45 years old), of course I'm not offended by the name.  Why would I be?  But, I realized years ago, that who am I to tell (or think) any Native American that they can't be offended by the name "Redskins" because X% of Native Americans polled said they weren't.  I can disagree with thinking the term is offensive, and I do, but that's really as far as it goes.  

Fast forward to today.  I'm not happy with how it all went down.  The sponsors (Nike, FedEx, etc.) took advantage and rode the coattails of the protests, riots, etc. that were a direct result of the murder of George Floyd.  Using money to force Snyder to change.  The name change is not something directly related to what's going on in our country right now (not going to debate and get into politics - PM if needed). 

They saw an opportunity and struck while the irons were hot.  They could have made the same threats/stance years ago.  I think it was inevitable that the name was going to eventually be changed, but I thought years (10-20 years down the road).  I would have liked to see it changed for the right reason.  One where Snyder and the team made the decision on their own to change it, then trying to work with the Native American tribes to come up with a new name/logo together that could still honor Native American history while also being accepted.  Not forced by the hand of corporate/league sponsors, it just feels fake.  

And I don't believe one word Ian R. said about Snyder planning a name change 3 months ago.  You'll never convince me that Dan isn't trying to get ahead of the story and make himself look good in the public eye and appear to actually give a **** about anything other than revenue.  Anyhow, sorry for the long winded post.  I just want this over with, sooner than later.

Go Red Wolves!

for those who like the cunning predatory canine theme but don't see any connection to the DC area , maybe this old fave of mine (use to watch it on our 1952 7" steam-powered vision-tron) will do the trick--covers both bases

swamp fox.jpg

3 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Fast forward to today.  I'm not happy with how it all went down.  The sponsors (Nike, FedEx, etc.) took advantage and rode the coattails of the protests, riots, etc. that were a direct result of the murder of George Floyd.  Using money to force Snyder to change.  The name change is not something directly related to what's going on in our country right now

Don't forget grandstanding media ass hats. I said this a while back and still believe it: Is what we're doing a making a difference or making a display? What difference does ditching the name make, really?

Anyway--it's all moot. I just hope it's not something stupid--but it sounds like it'll be either Redwolves or Warriors. 

16 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

So on a typical day you drink to excess early, have a pastry, get depressed, invade your neighbor, then feel guilty about it.

All except that last part. I somehow avoided Irish Catholic guilt.

Archived